Ok, who still has there job

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have mine, but we are thinking of moving back to Northern VA since my job kinda sucks, our house is still on the market, and my wife is making a whopping 28k after coming down here with a shiny new MBA. It could certainly be worse...we know at least two people show have lost their jobs after 31 and 33 years with the company, and I am pretty sure the neighbor two doors down lost her job with Nortel after 30 years.

i still have mine. it's not looking good right now. been there for 13 years

Still employed, I've survived job cuts over the years, just lucky, in the right place at the right time. Late March there are cuts coming, so we will see if my luck holds out.

I'm still going strong.
I landed 7 Log home contracts ,+ I'm G.C. ing 3 of them , so my year is looking Good.
I just Hired 1 extra guy So now I have 7 employees.
Before last Christmas I was getting worried about handing out pink slips, But it worked out great. My Guys are happy, and Now my New guy does all the running around , so I can sit back and Focus on my Estimates Billing and all the crappy office work that I couldn't focus on as much as before. So Everything worked out good. For Now anyway.

I'm still going strong.
I landed 7 Log home contracts ,+ I'm G.C. ing 3 of them , so my year is looking Good.
Before last Christmas I was getting worried about handing out pink slips, But it worked out great. My Guys are happy, and Now my New guy does all the running around , so I can sit back and Focus on my Estimates Billing and all the crappy office work that I couldn't focus on as much as before. So Everything worked out good. For Now anyway.

i'm happy to hear that.:) hopefully it picks up for me soon.i'm very worried for the 1st time in quite a while. :(

Just got my 15 year award at the state of Texas for being a correctional officer. Only 4 years and 9 months to go till retirement. Then I can retire , then come back and work at the state part time or full time again, and get two checks a month. The second check will not have any retirement or medical insurance removed because I have already got it from my retirement check. Besides the state of Texas is never fully staffed at ANY of their 112 state prisons. I have nothing to worry about except maybe a drop in crime rates? ......Nahhhhh!!!!!:p

All of the above, who have already posted, I would venture to guess are under 50 years old.

Anyone my age or the others mentioned have no value to contemporary America.

No, its now sour grapes, just reality.

But don't worry, I and the others will survive.

Just got my 15 year award at the state of Texas for being a correctional officer. Only 4 years and 9 months to go till retirement. Then I can retire , then come back and work at the state part time or full time again, and get two checks a month. The second check will not have any retirement or medical insurance removed because I have already got it from my retirement check. Besides the state of Texas is never fully staffed at ANY of their 112 state prisons. I have nothing to worry about except maybe a drop in crime rates? ......Nahhhhh!!!!!:p

Legalize pot & there will be a huge decrease in the prison population.

Still have a job. I've been a Tech for 4 years. I must say I'm starting to see a big decrease in customers all around. It's really sad to listen to some of my customers stories. My prayers are with everyone and this country. God Bless

I'm still going strong.

Hemi -
You (and people like you) are what is going to save this country. I remember your concern around the holidays (I think we discussed it in the Pub), and I'm glad that it didn't come to that for you and your employees. Great to hear stories like yours in times like this. Keep it up my friend!

Hemi -
You (and people like you) are what is going to save this country. I remember your concern around the holidays (I think we discussed it in the Pub), and I'm glad that it didn't come to that for you and your employees. Great to hear stories like yours in times like this. Keep it up my friend!

+1

I'm still doing ok as a software architect. Positioned myself as an open-source and efficiency guy, so its all about reducing licensing costs and automating to save money, so I'm in a good spot. Precarous like everything else, but good.

We are still going, even though many in our field have shut down, however it is slow right now. Hemi's situation gives me some hope though, we are in related fields, and whenever home building picks up, that is always a good thing

Still going strong here. I work for the local water department, which serves 1.5 million people. Water is one area people don't cut back on much. Nearly as close to recession-proof as you can get.

...and I am pretty sure the neighbor two doors down lost her job with Nortel after 30 years.

A good friend of mine has been with Nortel for 30 years and was ready to retire. Now, her pension is on hold and she has to wait for the bankruptcy court to figure things out before she will be able to retire.

I left Nortel in 2001. Im glad I got out when I did.

Kudos, Hemi! I too remember the thread last year. Looks like you turned the corner. I have all the respect in the world for those who are self-employed, who took the risk and put it all on the line, work hard, and are suceeding. No bailout needed here! You just need the gov't. to get out of your way and let you do what only you know how to do best...!

Still hanging on here. I was thinking 1-2 yrs. to retirement prior to Sept., now no such thing in sight! No job is 100% safe. In my case I'm doing things no one else wants to do and it's a "necessary evil" so I have a bit of added security that way, but certainly no guarantees! I have a fair cash reserve and little debt so if I do lose it all, I can survive for a couple of years.

Good luck to all in these hard times...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)