Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Legendary Broadcaster Paul Harvey has passed away, he was 90.

I don't know why but every time he was on the radio I had to stop and listen.

PAGE 2

He told stories that made you think and made you feel good.

Good Day Mr. Harvey, you will be missed.

One of the great life stories.

His father was murdered in a robery when he was 4 and he thus grew up in deep poverty. He started in radio pretty much when it was invented. He was on a ship returning from covering the Navy in Hawaii on 12/7/41. He apparently suffered a nervous breakdown while in the Army Air Force and was mustered out mid-war after only five months. This gave him a head start and he plied the radio commentary business pretty much alone in the dark days of the "fairness doctrine", which accounts for his style of reading outrageous stories but not actually saying it was outrageous.

His only child avoided service in Vietnam and this led to a decades long estrangement. The son pretty much had control of the father for the last 15 years or so, and filled in for him with a similar voice and style, and apparent viewpoint.

He had a unique career that will not be duplicated. His shows, even right up to today, can make a country or old-oldies format, because the 60 plus crowd will listen all day to make sure not to miss it.

Can't tell you how many times I would get stuck in the car in the driveway listening to the "Rest of the Story".

Can't tell you how many times I would get stuck in the car in the driveway listening to the "Rest of the Story".

Thanks, I was trying to think of "The rest of the story", he was hard not to listen to, he seemed to have a voice that grabbed you. Certainly distinctive, you could pick him out anywhere.

Very sad. I remember many times that my mom and I would listen to him. She loved him.

An interesting presentation of "news" to say the least. Certainly distinctive and for some reason you just couldn't help but finish listening to his newscast or "the rest of the story".

he lived about 15 minutes from me. he has a "weekend house" in kimmswick missouri ( st louis)
i have seen him a few times aout and about....not for years though

definitely a legend. His son is doing a good job, but Sr will be missed.

RIP Mr. Harvey. Now you're back with your "Angel".

I thought of him as the Norman Rockwell of radio. Somehow after hearing most any of his stories I felt better about myself and this country. We need him now more than ever. Paul Jr. will do an admirable job filling Sr's. shoes, but there will never be another like the original.

R.I.P. Paul....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)