Old and new Hopper in same house

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
I'm seriously considering coming back to Dish and have called a local retailer who assures me it is no problem to get a 2 Hopper only installation.

But I'd like to have a 'new' one for the main room and an 'old' one for the other room. So now a question or three

1. the new one has wifi, I'm assuming that means the network is all from that single wifi use and will also ensure the other one will have internet access too?

2. Is there some real good reason to get 2 of the new ones considering that the new one is $200 and the old one is $100? IOW, what benefit would I derive from having 2 new ones?

3. Will the 2 Hoppers see each other and can I set recordings on either one from the other without excessive twiddling?

thanks

I'm seriously considering coming back to Dish and have called a local retailer who assures me it is no problem to get a 2 Hopper only installation.

But I'd like to have a 'new' one for the main room and an 'old' one for the other room. So now a question or three

1. the new one has wifi, I'm assuming that means the network is all from that single wifi use and will also ensure the other one will have internet access too?

2. Is there some real good reason to get 2 of the new ones considering that the new one is $200 and the old one is $100? IOW, what benefit would I derive from having 2 new ones?

3. Will the 2 Hoppers see each other and can I set recordings on either one from the other without excessive twiddling?

thanks

1. You can enable bridging and that one connection will provide Internet for all recievers.

2. Not really a big difference except Hopper Transfers but if you only have one iPad I don't think it really makes any difference. But The new Hopper is much faster and more responsive.

3. The Hoppers can see each others dvr recordings but you can only set timers for the Hopper you are viewing from. You can't set timers for the other Hopper with the remote. You can use Dish anywhere. Com or App or Dish Explorer to set timers on either Hopper remotely.

Thanks for the feedback.

The Hopper transfers are of no importance on the second unit, and that one would be in my adult son's room so he can suffer with slightly slower speed! :)

And the setting of recordings remotely isn't a deal breaker as 1 Hopper would be solely for my use and should be more than enough, especially after I would get the OTA module.

I'm not firmly committed to switching, but I would like to get Epix back even at the expense of losing some of the other movie channels in HD. And saving a few bucks doesn't hurt either.

Thanks for the feedback.

The Hopper transfers are of no importance on the second unit, and that one would be in my adult son's room so he can suffer with slightly slower speed! :)

And the setting of recordings remotely isn't a deal breaker as 1 Hopper would be solely for my use and should be more than enough, especially after I would get the OTA module.

I'm not firmly committed to switching, but I would like to get Epix back even at the expense of losing some of the other movie channels in HD. And saving a few bucks doesn't hurt either.

I have both a Hopper 2000, Hopper With Sling (new model) and one Joey. I recommend upgrading, I love it.its such an improvement over VIP models.

1. You can enable bridging and that one connection will provide Internet for all recievers.

2. Not really a big difference except Hopper Transfers but if you only have one iPad I don't think it really makes any difference. But The new Hopper is much faster and more responsive.

3. The Hoppers can see each others dvr recordings but you can only set timers for the Hopper you are viewing from. You can't set timers for the other Hopper with the remote. You can use Dish anywhere. Com or App or Dish Explorer to set timers on either Hopper remotely.

Is number 2 about the only difference then between the old and new hoper?

DISH really needs to get Hopper integration going. The Hopper system looks cool and I like the way it works but DISH really needs to step up on that feature.

Thanks for the information provided here, I just ordered 1 'new' Hopper and 1 'old' Hopper for my 2 tv setup. My son can just suffer with the slower speed since he doesn't pay the bills around here and I couldn't figure out why I would want to pay an extra $200 vice $100 for a 2nd new one.

Used a local retailer who is also a personal friend to do the deal since getting a 2 Hopper only setup directly from E* seems either impossible to do or nearly so. He did tell me that the 'old' Hopper would be a refurb, but I don't really care! :)

He'll be here at 9:30AM tomorrow. I've got my 2TB external drive ready and waiting for the install. Never used the drive on my D* gear 'cause it seems such a waste with the way D* has implemented EHD.

I'll order an OTA module after the install as it will come in handy and give me a 4th tuner to use on occasion.

lparsons just noticed you were from Herrin. My father grew up in Hurst and now lives in Christopher. I am in your neck of the woods quite often.

You can access everything from any room even with a two Hopper setup. The dvr stuff doesn't all list in the same place. You have to select the DVR you want to access. Honestly though, I prefer it that way. It let's me know what each hopper has individually.

Is there a price difference between the Hopper 2012 and the Hopper 2013? Why not get all Hopper 2013 models?

As a new customer you can get either one for free unless you want a 2nd one. Then the 2nd is either $100 for the old model or $200 for the new model.

As a new customer you can get either one for free unless you want a 2nd one. Then the 2nd is either $100 for the old model or $200 for the new model.

Ah perfect ... thanks for the clarification.

I might need to do a chat or make a call and see what my damage would be as an existing customer. Need to start "operation warm up wife to idea of new satellite receiver" ;) Wish me luck ;)

Good luck. And report back which approach worked with SWMBO. Or didn't. Either way, we get to benefit from your experience! :D

I wish Hopper Transfers wasn't one-way... Makes it less desirable than before I learned of this limitation. Might not get a Slopper after all. My "old" Hoppers are fast enough.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

DISH really needs to get Hopper integration going. The Hopper system looks cool and I like the way it works but DISH really needs to step up on that feature.

Yes. I've said it should be a feature that can be enabled or disabled so that each household can use it as they think is best.

At this point I highly doubt that Dish plans on doing "full" integration. DirecTV doesn't have "full" integration between DVRs either. The only difference is that DirecTV's HR34 has two more tuners. I would prefer two Hoppers, six tuners, twice as much DVR space, far superior EHD management over a single-DVR 5-tuner DirecTV solution any day. Matter if fact I liked Hopper so much that I got 3 of them.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts