Old and new Hopper in same house

It's definitely slower on newer 802.11n devices as WEP drops the 300Mbps n speeds down to 802.11g speeds (54Mbps.) No difference on G-only routers though. Technically all APs have hardware encryption. It's just that WEP (or WPA for that matter) is not approved in the 802.11n standard. My ASUS RT-N16 with DD-WRT can fully support both WPA/TKIP and WEP at 300Mbps however the stock firmware (on almost all routers) does not. Only WPA2-AES "truly" supports 802.11n speeds.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner
G-only routers? Oh yeah. I use one with my Philco radio for listening to the Jack Benny show.

Yeah they're still around, heh. IMHO no recent router has come close to as feature-rich or reliable (at a reasonable consumer-oriented price) as the WRT54G series routers loaded with DD-WRT. The only thing close would be ASUS' RT-N16/N66U loaded with DD-WRT.

OK, a couple of days with the 2 Hopper setup and a couple questions I haven't seen answered yet.

1. Nowhere in any documentation for the Hopper is there an Icon and Icon color list. That is unacceptable for a product that uses icons just about everywhere! Surely there has to be such a list but I've had no luck finding it.

2. Channels disappearing from custom guides? What's up with that and how do you get around it? For instance, I had set up a favorites with just the channels I most often watch. Yesterday I went to that guide and noticed one of the locals missing which made me think that I had just not selected it to begin with. I figured no big deal and went in and added it back, then a different one disappeared. Is the only 'cure' to re-create that favorite again, or will it just do a channel disappearing act again with a new one?

I did read the thread from a bit ago about this, but left scratching my head.

1. Nowhere in any documentation for the Hopper is there an Icon and Icon color list. That is unacceptable for a product that uses icons just about everywhere! Surely there has to be such a list but I've had no luck finding it.

Which icons are you referring to? The blue, green and purple tuner indicators that appear after you set up a timer or something different?

2. Channels disappearing frog to get custom guides? What's up with that and how do you get around it? For instance, I had set up a favorites with just the channels I most often watch. Yesterday I went to that guide and noticed one of the locals missing which made me think that I had just not selected it to begin with. I figured no big deal and went in and added it back, then a different one disappeared. Is the only 'cure' to re-create that favorite again, or will it just do a channel disappearing act again with a new one?

I know dish is working on this channel dropping from the fav list. Not sure on a ETA.

Which icons are you referring to? The blue, green and purple tuner indicators that appear after you set up a timer or something different?

Icons in general. Most are pretty easy to figure out what they are as I use it, but there is one that from across the room looks like the eraser end of a pencil that seemingly appears randomly in the guide with no real function or info about it. There is a thread that discusses it concerning PTAT, but what I'm seeing isn't necessarily on a PTAT channel.

But with all these icons there should be a cheat sheet covering what they are instead of having to figure out what the hell they mean! If you're gonna use them, then at least explain what each means.

One thing I've noticed is that the documentation that is in the box with the Hopper and also the manual available online, is that they are both cute but not of really great value. Seems to me that they leave out more than they put into those documents.

For instance, take 'conflict resolution', other than saying they have a way, that screen is not informative, doesn't actually do anything and is in general not much use as far as I can see. I know that for the most part, when I set a series link that after the first showing is set, assuming no conflict at that point, that the system will resolve and skip as necessary from there on out. But if there is a conflict on that first recording time, the conflict resolution screen doesn't resolve anything that I can see. IMO, that screen should show the conflict at that time and have a selection that says 'skip this and go to the next replay' or some such.

On Hopper it starts recording from the point that you pressed record and dumps the buffer. You have to rewind to the beginning of the buffer then press record to capture the buffer. They need to re-add the menu that pops up with the options that the older ViPs have.

Your Hopper apparently works differently than mine.

Mine will start the recording from the beginning of the program, as I posted above, as long as it was on and one of the tuners was tuned to that channel at the beginning of the program..

Your Hopper apparently works differently than mine.

Mine will start the recording from the beginning of the program, as I posted above, as long as it was on and one of the tuners was tuned to that channel at the beginning of the program..

Just checked, you're right, as long as you have captured the very beginning in the buffer it does indeed work that way. However it doesn't work that way if the beginning of the show is not in the buffer. The old ViP way was still better.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

OK, today I added an EHD 2TB drive. Since it was a drive that had been used on my Mac, I put it on my Win8 box and deleted all partitioning and connected it.

got a good message about formatting and all proceeded well. but at the end, the available reported was 1.2TB and not the 2 or thereabouts I would have expected. The drive is a WD in the silver case that has the LCD window on it if that helps.

How do I get it to recognize the actual size, or is this just the way it is?

OK, today I added an EHD 2TB drive. Since it was a drive that had been used on my Mac, I put it on my Win8 box and deleted all partitioning and connected it.

got a good message about formatting and all proceeded well. but at the end, the available reported was 1.2TB and not the 2 or thereabouts I would have expected. The drive is a WD in the silver case that has the LCD window on it if that helps.

Try disconnecting the EHD and reconnect and see if that refreshes it. I believe it should show the entire drive. I currently only have a small 250GB EHD connected and in the media transfer menu it shows that my total space is 232GB. So mine sounds right to me but yours is way to far off. Maybe someone with a larger EHD connected can share what the total space with a 2TB drive should show.

Just checked, you're right, as long as you have captured the very beginning in the buffer it does indeed work that way. However it doesn't work that way if the beginning of the show is not in the buffer. The old ViP way was still better.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner
Yes, it was nice to be given choices when hitting record. But, the old way still couldn't record it from the beginning, if it wasn't in the buffer. Can't record what isn't there.

Yes, it was nice to be given choices when hitting record. But, the old way still couldn't record it from the beginning, if it wasn't in the buffer. Can't record what isn't there.

That's true but you didn't have to rewind to the beginning of the buffer before hitting record.

That's true but you didn't have to rewind to the beginning of the buffer before hitting record.
You don't have to do that now, as I said. It starts recording, by default, from the beginning of the program (or the earliest point in the buffer if it doesn't go back that far). No rewinding is necessary. Did you not confirm this yourself a few posts ago?

You don't have to do that now, as I said. It starts recording, by default, from the beginning of the program, or the earliest point in the buffer if it doesn't go back that far. Did you not confirm this yourself a few posts ago?

No sir, if you do not have the beginning of the show in the buffer, then it will only start recording from the current point on unless you rewind. However as you stated, if you have the beginning in the buffer, then it will record from the beginning of the show on. At least, that has been my experience.

A 2TB drive should show as having ~1800 GB or so when properly formatted.

No sir, if you do not have the beginning of the show in the buffer, then it will only start recording from the current point on unless you rewind. However as you stated, if you have the beginning in the buffer, then it will record from the beginning of the show on. At least, that has been my experience.

When on earth did it start doing that I've always had to rewind to get it to record the show. Maybe I haven't tested it yet though.

Ah. I see. I misunderstood what you said. And, apparently, I was mistaken about the earliest point, if it didn't have the beginning in buffer. I will double-check it though.

At least it records from the beginning automatically, if it has it in the buffer. So, we got that going for us.

I really don't understand why since the Tivo lawsuit is finally over they can't fix this point and get the damn machine to automatically get whatever is in the buffer anyway every time so we don't have to rewind. That was one of Tivo's greatest features. Besides the cute little Tivo guy that bounced around when you restarted it.

A 2TB drive should show as having ~1800 GB or so when properly formatted.

Yeah I know, for some reason the WD Link 2TB isn't doing that with the Hopper. I don't know why as the other WDs seem to be preferred.

I put it back on my Mac and re-set it up for that use and moved a non-used WD MyBook 1TB onto the Hopper. That works fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)