Old C-band dish worth keeping?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Zoreo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
SW-Florida
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. But while I'm new here I'm quite a old timer when it comes to satellite TV. I built my C-band dish out of a "do it yourself" kit back in 1982 when home satellite dishes were just becoming available. It came in many small pieces and had to be assembled bit by bit like a giant erector set. You can imagine my thrill when I finally hooked it up and saw my first pictures coming out of the sky!

That was the golden age of satellite-TV when nothing was scrambled. And besides free HBO and Showtime there was all sorts of interesting closed-circuit feeds from TV networks relaying unedited programs, sports and news events from around the country. Back then home satellite dishes were so new and rare that TV stations didn't even think anyone would be watching these feeds so they censored nothing. For example I often watched the Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show" as it was done live in LA and relayed back to NY for editing. And believe me- what they edited out was usually better than what got on the air! And in various "closed circuit" feeds I got to see the side of TV personalities and their guests that the public never sees and this was often very revealing.

Sadly this golden era is long gone. Scrambling began in the mid-'80s and most TV remote news feeds went to Ku-band. About this time cable became available in my area so my dish has been sitting in the back of my yard largely unused for the past 20 years. But the other day I decided to hook it back up just to see if it still worked. And indeed it was still receiving signals- but every one was scrambled or digital now so it appears my dish is pretty much a worthless relic just taking up space. I'm about to dissemble it and haul it off to the scrapyard but I thought I'd check with you guys to see if you know of anything worthwhile that's still available in the clear on C-band that I might have overlooked before I pull the plug for good. :confused:

Hmm I actually think today is the best days of c/ku, if you have a 4dtv with a dvb receiver and a c/ku feed you will have more than ever, a pc with dvb pci card for sd/hd is best, as many dvb hd receivers still lack what is needed.

If you thought it was cool back then, there is much more than there ever was now, well before it was just analog. now it's analog, digital (dvb) (DCI) (DCII) (mpegII) (mpeg4) (DVB S2) time to get some new equipment my friend.

Welcome to the group :)

adding a digital box (DVB) to your system will open up a whole new world :) plus most of the prices have dropped so you should be able to get one reasonably priced :)

Hmm I actually think today is the best days of c/ku, if you have a 4dtv with a dvb receiver and a c/ku feed you will have more than ever, a pc with dvb pci card for sd/hd is best, as many dvb hd receivers still lack what is needed.

If you thought it was cool back then, there is much more than there ever was now, well before it was just analog. now it's analog, digital (dvb) (DCI) (DCII) (mpegII) (mpeg4) (DVB S2) time to get some new equipment my friend.

Well I don't think I can make this new stuff work with my system. It uses a 70-Mhz downconverter system which has been considered obsolete for many years. And what would I get that I can't get on digital cable? I suspect the close-circuit feeds I use to enjoy are all digitally encoded now with a codec that is not available to the general public.

WELCOME TO SatelliteGuys

Well I don't think I can make this new stuff work with my system. It uses a 70-Mhz downconverter system which has been considered obsolete for many years. And what would I get that I can't get on digital cable? I suspect the close-circuit feeds I use to enjoy are all digitally encoded now with a codec that is not available to the general public.

Depending---- My old 70 mhz system can be easily updated. Newer old LNBs (1996 models) are available, sometimes (often) free.

Post a picture or two .. if the system will not let you post attachments, send the pics by email to one of those with high speed connection & they will post them for you.

I have not yet had a chance to get into feeds, too busy with usual FTA! But MANY feeds - if not most are open. Keep scanning the forums here. You will find lots of information.

Of course, if you are close to where I may be, I will tell you to just dump the equipment - and that I will be right over to haul it away :D even if it means a 500 mile trip:hungry:. That is said with all seriousness aside:D. SO --- Let us help you get it going again!

and, if your looking for any additional support, feel free to join our chat room (see signature)

our group still has several c-band dish users and can answer your questions.

anyone is welcome to join. it's busy during prime time hours (florida time/CDT)

-Rob

Would you go into this a little more for me...

If you have a powerful pc you would be best purchasing a pci card, bit more complicated to use for some though the advantages are well worth it. many people have the Twinhan 1020A or the 102G, many people are starting to get the TechnoTrend S2-3200 among other new cards, if your into pc's and satellite do some research and you will be able to make the right decision, as I am thinking about getting a new card, I have a 102g.

You should be able to find threads in the fta section.

If you have a powerful pc you would be best purchasing a pci card, bit more complicated to use for some though the advantages are well worth it. many people have the Twinhan 1020A or the 102G, many people are starting to get the TechnoTrend S2-3200 among other new cards, if your into pc's and satellite do some research and you will be able to make the right decision, as I am thinking about getting a new card, I have a 102g.

You should be able to find threads in the fta section.

Thanks for the info,
I do have an external ati digital tuner (HD capable) that I'm using with my cable company, works great... I was thinking that If I hooked up the output from my 922 and hdd200 into that, and tuned my laptop (a beefy sony w/ 17"display) to channel 3/4 (like we did a few years ago with vcr's) maybe that would work...? I'll have to tinker with it I guess...

Depending---- My old 70 mhz system can be easily updated. Newer old LNBs (1996 models) are available, sometimes (often) free.

Post a picture or two .. if the system will not let you post attachments, send the pics by email to one of those with high speed connection & they will post them for you.

I have a couple of pictures of it at Photobucket but when I tried to post the links here I got a message that I have to have made 6 posts before I can posts links. So I will give you the links without the "http" prefix and you can paste them in your browser if you want to see them.

://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/zoreo/Dish1.jpg
://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/zoreo/Dish2.jpg

I have not yet had a chance to get into feeds, too busy with usual FTA! But MANY feeds - if not most are open. Keep scanning the forums here. You will find lots of information.
Well this is my main question- is there anything really worthwhile I could get that I can't get on Comcast digital cable? I've been told that all those close circuit feeds are now digital and can not be picked up by the public. I don't know of anything else I want that I can't get now on cable.

I also have a problem with the jack which now only moves about half the arc so that's another thing that would have to be fixed before I can start using it again.

I do not have cable! I often do not have OTA TV - 8 repeaters to chose from, and which one might have a signal. So for me, it is satellite. I have no idea about Comcast.... If I had Dish and Direct, I still would not have the stations I want, and I only want one more PBS for the wife, that we have not yet found!

go on ebay craigslist garage sales and se if you can find a 4dtv or digital c band receiver.

Still one of the new guys here when Wife and I decided to see if we could use ow-er C-band and where happy to know that we could She went on eBay and found a 920 in good shape and put in a Ku/C-ban and have had a few sangs here and there but worth keeping ow-er old C-ban dish :)

When dealing with E-bay always check if the seller has good feed back
so you have some idea who you are dealing with

And if the We man don't find you handsome they will at least you handy ;)

Sorry dodge could not help it I'm a Red Green Fan :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)