Oldest Dish I remember

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
I first spotted this dish around 1980. It caught my attention because cable TV did not exist in this area.I wondered how cool it would be to have something like this. I couldn't resist taking this picture to share it. It appears to be an 8' fiberglass dish. It has a metal base held down by huge stones near a waterfall. By the look of the trees it hasn't been used in years.

Attachments

• Picture 167.jpg
    Picture 167.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 336
So, what's the story there, just out in the woods someplace? No houses nearby, or maybe there once was? Secret govt listening post? Looks like a strange place to find
a sat tv dish lol

Looks like my old Laux Beta 9.But out there if it is they also came in green which would have been the perfect color for where it's at.

Not cool to install.powderized galvanized steel.weight:300 lbs..F/D ratio .3 .diameter 9'.

Last edited:
That dish is located near the Hudson River in New York. There is a house up in the woods above the dish. I think they placed it there in the only available clearing through the woods.

How cool would it be to have one.Well actually it wasn't as cool as it is now.It took
like 30 minutes to go thru all the satellites in the arc cause even if it wasn't advertised in your guide(a semi-weekly paper guide).You thought just maybe something is good up there and you don't want to miss it.Man what a pain and the first receivers didn't have remote control either or the actuators.Thank God for DBS.:)

Consumers today have no idea what a clear TV picture is. Any C-band analog TV image was, and is, sharper and has more image detail than ANY SD DBS signal viewed today, if the minimum CN was reached. The only advantage digital DBS offers, in the area of image quality, is image consistency. It is consistently an over compress compromise of channel capacity vs image clarity.

I see dishes like that all the time stuck off in what looks like the woods. I can take you too 3 primestar dishes that are like that, and I know of two that the owners would give to me, but I have enough old and newer dishes laying around.

where i live you can go to the dump and see so many dishs .cband to 30in and 4footers from the old starchoice days all free and in great shape .

Same here brotherhood my brother brings me stuff all the time from the dump, saying I figured you might could use this. I don't have the heart to tell him some of the stuff I take back to the dump on a day I know the trash trucks are coming, and I know he want see it.

as far as 'all' c-band reception being superlative, that was far from the case...those early systems used prehistoric feed electronics, and that, together with the very low power of the first-generation birds, resulted in lots of 'sparklies', the analog equivalent of pixellation....

but was it 'better' to have a dish back then? certainly not as compared to today's 'set and forget' systems, from a purely media-consumer perspective...but from a 'doing what no one else is' and 'seeing what you're not meant to see' and just plain cool cachet perspective, there was nothing like it.....

also, even after the 'perfection' of home c-band systems, i would still frequenty note those 'sparklies' occurring in extreme-color-saturation areas of pictures, often just briefly as an image was coming in or going off...reds were the most notorious for this, with orange and blue not far behind...the reason for it, as i understood it, was something called 'de-emphasis'...apparently due to an unequal effect of space transit on various parts of the signal, some portions of uplinks are 'emphasized', or, boosted...then at the sat receiver, 'de-emphasis' is done to balance things back out...but it's an imperfect process, particularly with consumer-grade gear...i have seen this 'bright color' sparkling on off-air and dbs as well, and know to attribute it to sourcing from analog satellite transmission

Looks like a Prodlin. Those things will last longer than any of us. If I could see the back, we would know for sure.

Fricking Prodelins! Installing them on a 4 foot ground pole, no problem. But installing them on a 12 foot high or higher pole, they were the biggest pain in the a** to install. Heavy as all hell. We had scaffolding that we use to have to setup just to safely assemble the buggers. On the other hand, they were as quality as could be. No mesh panels to get bent out of shape, or cut you with either.
And you didn't even think of scrimping on the actuator, heavy duty all the way.

As for the advantages of the ol BUD days, that was clearly the early to mid 80's, pre Videocipher days. The benefits of the BUD were still huge for many people, but that clearly cut into the fun of the early "wild west" or "free for all" channel surffing days.

Looks like my old Laux Beta 9.But out there if it is they also came in green which would have been the perfect color for where it's at.

Not cool to install.powderized galvanized steel.weight:300 lbs..F/D ratio .3 .diameter 9'.

I have a Laux Beta 9. It survived hurricane Katrina and still works great. But, I did have to reinstall it.

Don H.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)