OLED and burn in

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
No.

LG has something called a compensation cycle built in that runs automatically every so many hours, after you turn it off. Even if you get hit with some IR, once it turns off and this runs, it will be gone. Also, after so many of these cycles the uniformity of the screen improves too.

I love my 2015 65". The only negative is it does not dither like plasma did, so it does not mask compression issues as well. When I watch a poor Dish feed it looks bad at times, but good feeds blow anything I have seen away.

The ability of have 3.8 million "zones" that can shut off to zero black makes for a helluva contrast ratio. Plus these things can get bright too, its like plasma and LED LCD had a baby.

No.

LG has something called a compensation cycle built in that runs automatically every so many hours, after you turn it off. Even if you get hit with some IR, once it turns off and this runs, it will be gone. Also, after so many of these cycles the uniformity of the screen improves too.

I love my 2015 65". The only negative is it does not dither like plasma did, so it does not mask compression issues as well. When I watch a poor Dish feed it looks bad at times, but good feeds blow anything I have seen away.

The ability of have 3.8 million "zones" that can shut off to zero black makes for a helluva contrast ratio. Plus these things can get bright too, its like plasma and LED LCD had a baby.
What is dither? Is it the same as motion blur? I know that motion blur is greatly reduced on Plasma sets, how is it on OLED?

If you get up close to the screen you will see the plasma pixels moving around, or actually appear to move around. In near black areas and compression areas it keeps it pretty smooth and blended where as a compressed image on the OLED, like a wall, will show some slight blocking.

The OLED, with the proper trumotion settings, is about 650 lines of motion rez. That matches things like a Sony XBR in standard motion flow without being soapy, but not quite the 800-900 lines plasma had. I think the motion looks fine with it on. With it off its just 300 lines like a normal LCD, since it is technically a 120hz panel.

Actually, the OLED technology, and ALL emissive panels, IS subject to burn in, but probably not to the degree plasma was. But it is handled so well in compensation algorithms I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I also wouldn't use it for airport arrivals and departures boards.

The difference is you are talking burn in, which was almost impossible on newer plasmas, where as plasma and OLED do have IR. OLED's IR seems to be better than the VT50 I had, and like I said, once you turn it off and it runs a comp cycle, it is gone the next time you start it up. Pretty cool. On my VT50, after 4 months of football on Saturdays, it would talk a little work to finally get rid of the ESPN ticker outline.

Ill put it this way, where every plasma I ever owned I would notice some IR lingering in content for a few days after a static image was up awhile. It would be faint but you could see the faint outline in bright scenes on that part of the screen. I have yet to see that with OLED.

Reactions: osu1991
OK, image retention is more accurate.

Still, OLED is today good for home use. And I look forward to owning one some day. Maybe.

But it is not, and likely never will be, a good choice for such as airport arrivals and departures screens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)