OLED AND DISH PICTURE QUALITY

I have a 2016 LG B6 OLED. The picture is amazing. As others have said, the contrast and colors are wonderful and there's no "dirty screen door" effect that you often get with LCD screens (although that's less likely to happen if you get a high-end LCD from one of the big 3 brands).

Unfortunately, I did get a couple spots of burn-in on my screen from static on-screen logos. I'm not one to keep the TV on all the time nor was the burn-in from a channel I watched for hours at a time. Maybe an hour per day. LG did me right though by replacing the panel even though the TV was nearly 3 years out of warranty. (I wouldn't have known to request the replacement had I not read of others' experience doing so on AVS Forum.)

I learned that with OLED, burn-in happens after the cumulative amount of time that a given pixel displays a certain color. It's not like plasma, where it happens only due to a static image being displayed for an extended single period. (Well, OLED can have temporary image retention from those instances but that quickly fades, unlike permanent burn-in.)

Now, my understanding is that LG and others have implemented technology since 2016 to make their OLEDs less susceptible to burn-in. Even so, I'm not sure I'd spend that kind of money on another, despite how great the image looks. I'm not one to buy extended warranties but if you do opt for an OLED, that might be the time to buy one, as charlesrshell did.

Reactions: charlesrshell
i HAVE A QUESTON , DOES AN OLED TV MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE IN PICTURE QUALITY ON DISH NETWORK CHANNELS.

Yes I notice the difference However the OLED comes with inconvenience options. First the panel can have screen burn in. It has a cleaner that runs after 4 hours of use at night. The ATSC 3.0 turner (Next Gen TV ) I never had use because it only works with a outdoor Antenna. In Detroit the Next Gen TV is a repeat of most of the Detroit stations Nothing new. If you watch a channel with a bug like FNC or CNN then that might cause the panel to have a permanent burn in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe Samsung has suspended development of OLED. Their approach is “more pure” and potentially better in the long run- but not today.

Better is the enemy of good enough. Especially if it costs more.

My understanding...
QLEDs are brighter, but less contrast (backlight bleedthough)...
Higher contrast, but less bright due to pixel color FILTERS...

The newest,
QD OLED,
Contrast of OLEDs with the brightness of QLEDs due to color CONVERTER instead of color filter.
WHAT???

OLED color FILTER takes an OLED light source and filters (blocks) out unwanted frequencies of light to make particular color, this method loses an amount of brightness equal to the filtered (blocked) light.

QD LED color CONVERTER takes a high frequency BLUE light and converters (changes) its frequency to the desired output color frequency by slowing/ lengthening the wavelength. Thus no light energy (brightness) is lost.

This is a good topic for those of us who are either shopping right now or learning about OLED tvs. My 70 inch Vizio (purchased in 2013 November) has started whispering "I am on my way out, Go get OLED!!"

I am doing my search regarding new tvs. I am not quite sure about few things. Any opinion is welcome here.

True or False:

OLED tv's won't last as long compared to LCD's.

OLED burn-in (or permanent image retention) could be a problem if you watch the same channel all the time. In my opinion nobody does that.

Dish channels are compressed. The best picture quality is provided by 4K Bluray player playing 4K bluray disk. Those players and disks are expensive.

New technology always worries me. Remember 3D tvs!!

I have found a web site that shows good and bad on OLED. I couldn't tell how old the article is..

I did a lot of research before purchasing my C9. LG has a lot of technological things they do in order to try to avoid burn-in. And I think, while it was possible, it only really happened with people who left stagnant images on the TV for long times. So, gamers where some portion of the screen doesn't change frequently, and those annoying logos TV stations like to put in the bottom right corner to tell you what channel you're on in case you didn't know when you chose that channel from the guide. So, LG will do what I think they call "pixel shifting" where they periodically move things that are stagnant like those logos over a pixel or two, which is not noticeable to the naked eye but helps avoid burn-in. They also use a screen saver if you pause a program and walk away for more than a minute or two so you don't pause a program and come back 30 minutes later which theoretically over time could cause burn-in. So I don't think burn-in is an issue anymore if it ever really was.

I don't see any reason they shouldn't last a long time. They're LED's. Traditionally LED's have lasted almost forever. These are just really small ones. My TV is hung on the wall and never moves at all. I've had it for 2.5 years and it works as well as the day I hung it. I see no reason it shouldn't last me 5-10 years.

OLED isn't new at this point. It should be considered a mature technology at this point.

You can probably do better than DISH quality but that's true of any TV provider and DISH is adequate for me most of the time. I wish they'd start supporting ATMOS but that's a different discussion altogether. Does anyone NOT use compression? Maybe Netflix or something.

I’m looking to replace our Master Bedroom 40” Sony LED edge-lit LCD with an OLED, but currently the smallest panel is 48” from Sony and LG. LG was supposed to have a 43” TV in 2021 but it never came out. At CES 2022, LG once again announced the 43” TV.

But, the 48” C1 is under $1,100 and the A1 is under $900 (Super Bowl sales time). Sony’s 48” is under $1,200…

You can never go too big, right? ;)

If you watch your TV all day long like me I would suggest not to purchase an OLED TV. My main TV is on about 16 hours per day. Purchased a LG OLED in November 2017, replaced it with a LG LED in March 2019 due to burn-in.

I have the same burn-in issue on my two Panasonic Plasma TVs from 2006 (each were ~$4000 at the time). But this happened over ~10 years so I don't think an extended warranty would have helped me. I keep them because I just can't stand the "soap opera" effect on LCD/LED/OLED TVs.

I’m looking to replace our Master Bedroom 40” Sony LED edge-lit LCD with an OLED, but currently the smallest panel is 48” from Sony and LG. LG was supposed to have a 43” TV in 2021 but it never came out. At CES 2022, LG once again announced the 43” TV.

But, the 48” C1 is under $1,100 and the A1 is under $900 (Super Bowl sales time). Sony’s 48” is under $1,200…

I replaced a 43" Samsung LED with a 48" LG A1 OLED in my bedroom, they had fantastic sales at Costco over the holidays, got it for about $725 with incentives. You are right, you can never go too big. I have a Panasonic 65VT60 plasma in the living room, still a great TV, low hours on it. I will be replacing it eventually with a 77" Sony OLED. If I am going to replace it, why not buy bigger.

Go with the Sony ... You'll be happy !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 9)

Latest posts