OLN Dropped by Dish over Programming Disputes

I am getting sick of Charlie playing censor. Because that's what he's doing over and over again. He's a distributor and need to stay out of the contents of the channels. That's none of his business. He uses power where he shouldn't.

Charlie's not censoring anything - OLN was demanding a huge increase in fees mid-contract and when Charlie refused to give OLN about $5,000,000 over the next year just because they wanted it, OLN removed the NHL games from E*'s feed.

Rather than continually having to explain to his subs why they are not getting the OLN programming that everyone else is getting, he dropped the channel. I don't blame him, it's not worth the headache.

Sir Solti said:
I think that when you sign a contract you have to honor it and I think that comcast needs to know that its time to give up and let dish have its hockey.

Hockey games was not part of the orginal contract. Even cable companies had to redo theres and some even had to move OLN to at least a 40% viewership to recieve the Hockey Games. Dish Network wants attention, unfortunately it's the wrong kind of attention and this is another reason I left Dish. either keep it on or off. I believe there should be a clause in all contracts stating if you pull a channel off it should be 6 months before you can put it back on. This in itself would cause Dish to quit fighting and just deliever the package.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
I really would not like a $2+ increase in my monthly bill, thank you. Average annual increases are about $1-2 for AT180, which I have, but if OLN gets dropped to a lower tier, I don't want to pay $4-5 more for AT180 come February. If that happens, I'm blaming YOU, buddy! :p
That's amazing the way you can just pull numbers out of your ass like that! Is that a natural talent, or something you needed to learn?

CPanther95 said:
Charlie's not censoring anything - OLN was demanding a huge increase in fees mid-contract and when Charlie refused to give OLN about $5,000,000 over the next year just because they wanted it, OLN removed the NHL games from E*'s feed.
Wow. Another amazing magician able to pull random numbers out of his ass! Did Summit teach you how to do that?

GaryPen said:
Wow. Another amazing magician able to pull random numbers out of his ass! Did Summit teach you how to do that?

Do the math genius. $0.30 a month carriage fee x an additional 13% of subs (1.43 million subs) = $5,148,000 annually.

That's also assuming that moving it to the Top 120 tier will just clear the 40% threshold. Could be much higher.

cablewithaview said:
Hockey games was not part of the orginal contract. Even cable companies had to redo theres and some even had to move OLN to at least a 40% viewership to recieve the Hockey Games. Dish Network wants attention, unfortunately it's the wrong kind of attention and this is another reason I left Dish. either keep it on or off.

I wonder what the contract really says. Probably no one anticpated OLN adding hockey when it was signed. But does that mean OLN can add new programming, then make demands that the contract be rewritten?

Dish's position is that the terms of the contract have been not met, since Comcast/OLN blacked out OLN programming to Dish's OLN subscribers.

CPanther95 said:
Charlie's not censoring anything .....
CP, I disagree with you on that. In my opinion he is. It is the game he plays over and over again. When Dish was dropping the Viacom programming, he stated that no one was watching Noggin and it wouldn't be missed. Till he got a bunch of mothers complaining that their toodlers were watching the channel and would go elsewhere. Sometimes he's just missing the point. The game he plays is not professional, not constructive. Next time he drops a channel, because the commentators will always wear blue suits and he doesn't like that. As I understand, there was no rate increase needed on the AT120 to make this happen. So what's the whole ordeal?

MarcelV said:
CP, I disagree with you on that. In my opinion he is. It is the game he plays over and over again. When Dish was dropping the Viacom programming, he stated that no one was watching Noggin and it wouldn't be missed. Till he got a bunch of mothers complaining that their toodlers were watching the channel and would go elsewhere. Sometimes he's just missing the point. The game he plays is not professional, not constructive. Next time he drops a channel, because the commentators will always wear blue suits and he doesn't like that. As I understand, there was no rate increase needed on the AT120 to make this happen. So what's the whole ordeal?

Reportedly, OLN is looking to double their carriage fee to $0.60 next go around, but I haven't seen anyone say that that was part of the issue with E*. But even with the same carriage fee (per subscriber), moving it to Top 120 means that there are at least 1.4 million more subs that they'll have to pay the current carriage fee for. And what does E* get in return?

I just don't think it has anything to do with censorship, they can offer and market whatever channels they choose. Same with the Viacom situation - however, placing your own message on top of a channel (like was done with the Viacom channels) is a different matter.

GaryPen said:
The biggest way that a network like OLN will earn more money by being added to AT120 is through increased advertising revenue, NOT through per-subscriber fees. They can charge more for ad time, with more subscribers.

Not even close. Sub fees will be the much more substantial figure for OLN. Advertising, even during an NHL game, won't generate nearly as much as carriage fees even if they expanded their sub base to an ESPN level of 85 million subs. OTOH, those 25 million more subs would generate $90 million a year in carriage fees.

ABC has far more viewers than does ESPN, yet MNF is a money loser on ABC, and will not be on ESPN. The reason is carriage fees.

I have to side with Charlie on this thing. He has a contract with "OLN." Comcast is advertising watching hockey on "OLN" (NOT the "OLN with HOCKEY" channel!) It seems to me there is one OLN and Comcast is not delivering it to Dish. I'd like to see this go to court just to see how it would all come out (though there's almost always some type of settlement). All that said, I don't miss OLN a bit.

We've seen settlements in the past, but unless Comcast caves completely, I think this is one time Charlie can hold firm with minimal ramifications and at the same time send a message for next time (and there will be a next time).

Plus, he'll put about $900k a month towards his bottom line for as long as he holds out.

Chris Walker said:
I knew it was a matter of time before Dish yanked OLN, they were either going to do this or just flat out sue OLN for breach of contract. I am sure OLN is throwing a fit and threatening lawsuits of their own as we speak. Should be interesting.

IT WILL BE FUN TO WATCH 2 BIG BILLIONARES THROW A BIG HISSY FIT BACK AND FORTH

OK, sorry if this has been asked already, but i upgraded to OLN just for NHL, as I am a Ranger fan and some games were available only on OLN. There are still a number of games scheduled to be on OLN, would i get these if i add Center Ice package? I guess the real question is, if a game is broadcast on OLN, is it not shown on any local sports network anywhere? I dont mind dropping back to AT120 and adding Center Ice if this was the case.

If you really are mad about this dispute wrte to the FCC about the Comcast Time Warner Merger. Say that the dispute with OLN illustrates why Comcast suld not be allowed to get any bigger. If it does it will contine to use its size and leverage against rivals in progamming and hurt competition.

GaryPen said:
That's amazing the way you can just pull numbers out of your ass like that! Is that a natural talent, or something you needed to learn?

Should I report your post to the admins? Your crass remarks are not appreciated. Did I say something wrong in my earlier post regarding yours? If you'd like to see my reasoning, I'll post later but your childish remarks need to stay in your home and in your head. If you have better things to say, say it over a PM. Last I checked, personal bashing is not the decorum here. Plus, you're NOT EVEN A E* sub. Why are you continuing to put up sarcastic remarks only related to E*? Did E* molest you when you were a child?!

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Should I report your post to the admins? Your crass remarks are not appreciated. Did I say something wrong in my earlier post regarding yours? If you'd like to see my reasoning, I'll post later but your childish remarks need to stay in your home and in your head. If you have better things to say, say it over a PM. Last I checked, personal bashing is not the decorum here. Plus, you're NOT EVEN A E* sub. Why are you continuing to put up sarcastic remarks only related to E*? Did E* molest you when you were a child?!
He's a comcrap sub who has no life other than harassing happy E* subs!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)