OLN Dropped by Dish over Programming Disputes

mdonnelly said:
So who blinked?
Why this preoccupation with blinking? (They have a whole "blink" thread on dbstalk.) These are business negotiations. Partnership agreements. Compromises. No one needs to blink. They need to find a common ground that will help both parties reach their goals. It looks like OLN and Cablevision were able to reach an agreement without all the histrionics that Charlie displays during these things. Actually, every other provider is able to reach these agreements with the programmers without the repetitive drama of Ergen and Co. I wonder why that is?

GaryPen said:
Why this preoccupation with blinking? (They have a whole "blink" thread on dbstalk.) These are business negotiations. Partnership agreements. Compromises. No one needs to blink. ...
Don't kid yourself. In every business negotiation, somebody blinks. Every negotiation has a winner and a loser. The magnitude varies, but there is rarely a "win-win" deal in business.

You sell used cars, don't you? Your business philosophy sure sounds like an old school salesman. I never deal people with who conduct business that way.

Of course there are win-win deals in business. If not, there would be no deals. What would the losing party have to gain by losing? In every business deals both parties have something to gain. That is the whole point.

Unfortunately, you'd need a win-win-win deal in this case if you factor in the consumer. Those deals are extremely rare and it's almost a certainty that it isn't the case in the Cablevision/OLN agreement.

If OLN was not owned by Comcast and if Comcast was not in the final throws of buying Adelphia and maybe if INHD 1&2 were not in sirious negociations with E* and D* .. Oln would still be on the air

juan said:
Because ergen and company make money!!!! and directv does not!!!!!!!

And who does ergen and company make money off of? The subs, of course. So they play hardball with our money -- not providing the service we pay for -- and sticking all the savings in the bank!

This type of action will come back to bite him in the a$$, eventually...

I Think ehhh who cares what I think. I would like NHL to take matters on their hand and try and make a new contract with ESPN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Comcast wants money for a channel that only shows ONE really good sport the whole year (Tour de France) not saying NHL is crap but why would comcast want more money for NHL programming? Comcast should leave it as it was!!!!

I too am a newbie here. I have had Dish Network for many years. I had the T180 and when dish droped OLN I have changed to the T120. My wife and daughter loves to watch the Rodeo. The PBR finals started this Friday. Its does not have near the fans as other sports but it is entertaining. I am a avid cyclist and with or without Lance I really want to watch it. What I cant believe is Dish offers the Men's channel as an alternate.

steve

Comcast/OLN got exactly what they wanted. It didn't have to be a "we take what we want, screw you cablevision" situation. If they had someone explain to them how making the channel they already pay for, available to more people, it makes their customers happy. Who doesn't want more channels?

Comcast needs to be creative, not bossy, and this would be solved across the board. 1 down...

Purogamer said:
If they had someone explain to them how making the channel they already pay for, available to more people, it makes their customers happy. Who doesn't want more channels?

That makes it sound like Cablevision pays a fixed cost for OLN. If Comcast tried that approach, I'm sure Cablevision would send one of their interns over to Comcast headquarters to explain that in a "per subscriber" based carriage fee system, making the channel available to more people means that Cablevision's cost for OLN would increase.

Wow I sure miss all that bull riding and fishing on OLN

Oh wait, no I don't because I never watched this channel. If E* is paying more than 2 cents for OLN it's too much.

Wow, so long after this thread started and you guys can't/won't let it go.

You must be thinking about OLN if you're clicking and replying...

I'm thinking about OLN...I'm also thinking about how there's always a new message posted in this thread when I come to the site and curious if it's news...hasn't been yet, through 20 pages...

Dish making money and not Directv

juan said:
Because ergen and company make money!!!! and directv does not!!!!!!!

If Dish makes all this money and D* doesn't why is D* the only sat. provider launching new birds to provide local hd channels and how do you think they keep the NFL a D* exclusive that all the dish customers clamour for every year. I also don't see D* dropping channels and and having a CEO that throws little hissy two year old fits over every contract negotiation. Is Charlie protecting your benefits or his own interest. The simple truth is while charlie and company keep making asses out of themselves, D* is launching new birds, implementing mpeg 4, leading the charge for hd, building better equipment and just generally sitting back and laughing at dish...

So do you, so what's the point? Neither of us are presenting great conversation but I don't think it's required at this point. I'm sure when OLN comes back there will be a seperate post about it so this should probably be closed/un-stickied anyways...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)