OLN Dropped by Dish over Programming Disputes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes talks are continuing.

I would not be surprised to see OLN back on Dish in the Top 120 package within the next 2 weeks or so.

Just checking.....wasn't OLN only in the top 180 and Everything packages? Are you guessing that OLN will also show up in the 120 package?

OLN is in AT180. They want it in AT120. That will cost 120 subscribers more. It will NOT cost AT180 or EP subscribers anything additional according to DISH messages.

Stern In Demand starts november 15th...he's talked about it quite a bit. The date may not be right but that's what I remember. I don't share scott's optimist view of seeing ANY stern content on E*. Sirius would kill themselves for allowing it, and VOD isn't going to be a big deal to E* subscribers...Sure there's some money to be made but not enough that they're putting it under "must add" on their to-do lists IMO...

ride525 said:
Just checking.....wasn't OLN only in the top 180 and Everything packages? Are you guessing that OLN will also show up in the 120 package?
If a deal was worked out to not cost E* any more than it does now, sure, why not? E* wins, and OLN wins with higher ad revenues.

dishrich said:
If Charlie Ergen, lord of all TV lords, king of all DBS kings, saviour to all that is cheap TV, is saving you guys SO much money on your programming, then please explain to me why you guys pay $1 MORE for AT120 over TC
[offsubject]
It's simple, dishrich: I don't. In my household, I save over $86/year with Dish's AT120 vs. DirecTV's TotalChoice. I pay for one year of AT120 and get the annual discount($418). Since my locals are available, TotalChoice would be $41.99/mo, or $503.88/yr. Even if they weren't, that still works out to $467.88, almost $50 more than Dish.
[/offsubject]

OLN is a good battleground for Charlie to fight this fight.

First, he knows that he already doesn't have a very large portion of the serious sports fan market because of D* having NFLST.

Second, the NHL audience is small to begin with.

Third, it was only on AT180.

So he risks losing serious NHL fans who don't subscribe to D* & who have AT180 and would be willing to go to the point of switching out all of their equipment in order to watch the NHL. Can't be a big number of subs. Even if he loses 10,000 subs, that's still a nit in the annual churn rate.

So he can take this risk in order to set an example of where he is willing to draw the line. Sounds like a reasonable strategy.

Hoo Hoo Howie

Scott Greczkowski said:
As far as I know Howard Stern on In Demand does not start until March, I have a feeling we will see it on Dish, in addition it would not surprise me to see a "Stern" package which includes the In demand channel and the Howard Stern Sirius audio channels.

Both Dish and Sirius would be wise to put both Howard Stern on demand and Howard Sterns radio channels On dishes service. Especially with Opie and Anthony being added to Directv TC+.

Well back on topic I hope OLN comes back especially on the top 120. Here in Arizona we have alot of outdoor enthusists who enjoy outdoor activities and oln is not available on Cox Basic cable (Currently $39.99) if it was offered on the top 120 that would definately close the price gap between Cox basic and At 120. And since Cox Digital Cable here starts At $53, with the sports pack that includes OLN. That $42.99 monthly would look mighty tempting for a new Sub.

I had the information sheet given to us installers by dish, basicly and I dont know if this has been covered but comcast wanted dish to charge its customers more for oln and put the channel into the at120 in the middle of the contract and dish doesnt work that way. If your on a contract with dish then you cant brake the contract because of the loss of the channel, its stated in the contract that changes to programing are subject to change without notice as are subscription fee's. NHL center ice can be purchased at a discount for current customers only that have been effected by the change in programming inregards to oln.

Scott Greczkowski said:
As far as I know Howard Stern on In Demand does not start until March, I have a feeling we will see it on Dish, in addition it would not surprise me to see a "Stern" package which includes the In demand channel and the Howard Stern Sirius audio channels.

Howard Stern On Demand starts middle of November. Don't see how either satellite company could offer it. It's going to be a number of different shows available for viewing. Unless Dish has some new technology for being able to choose a particular episode.

Cheers,
Sam

pdxsam said:
Howard Stern On Demand starts middle of November. Don't see how either satellite company could offer it. It's going to be a number of different shows available for viewing. Unless Dish has some new technology for being able to choose a particular episode.

Cheers,
Sam
Its called a dvr with a reserved portion of the hard drive D* has been doing it for years

juan said:
Its called a dvr with a reserved portion of the hard drive D* has been doing it for years

Yes.. but the Stern stuff is going to HD 20 to 30 episodes each month rotated that's a lot of space. How much to they reserve?

S

pdxsam said:
Yes.. but the Stern stuff is going to HD 20 to 30 episodes each month rotated that's a lot of space. How much to they reserve?

S
maybe they will do it like regular pay per view and just have the same content repeated for

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes talks are continuing.

I would not be surprised to see OLN back on Dish in the Top 120 package within the next 2 weeks or so.

That would be disappointing. Love to see it back on Top 180, but a 120 position would be caving in to their demands.

CPanther95 said:
That would be disappointing. Love to see it back on Top 180, but a 120 position would be caving in to their demands.
dont worry its not even uplinked anymore!!!

Meanwhile, HDNET is airing 7-10 NHL games a month, in HD. Beautiful picture. Watching hockey in HD on a large screen is the way to go. Far easier to follow the puck.

Of course only a small percentage of E* subs have HD, but it is a way to watch the NHL.

I have a question. Why hasn't Charlie been ousted from Dish yet? Any other company and the CEO would have been fired, look at HP. Dish is a company that is loosing lots of existing customers because Charlie is less focused on customer satisfaction and more focused on his personal control of TV. I was sick of his attempts to be the saint of TV which is why I switched. As a subscriber, I am not interested in his opinion and I am sure as hell not interested in his propaganda. I am, however, interested in watching my favorite tv shows. Because of things like this, Dish will never get my business until Charlie is out and a new, more competent, CEO is in.

Don't know if this was posted or mentioned earlier, but I thought it was kinda funny.

DirecTV seems to be trying to take advantage of the situation, emphasizing the fact that they are currently the only satellite provider offering OLN. (picture taken from their main page)

Not necessarily true, considering I can pick up the channel on my FTA.

If you click on that image, the following page has the details and some more info, again targeting Dish subscribers:

Kinda funny.

Link

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts