OLN status

grb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Southern CA
I know the previous OLN thread got a little rambunctious and was consequently closed.

However, believe it or not, there are a lot of hockey fans at Dish (also some bullriding fans, I guess) who are interested in the status of OLN negotiations, especially with the playoffs coming soon and no coverage available -- even from the season package (center ice).

Hopefully, we can keep something open for any news on this topic. Those that want to denounce OLN as a minority interest channel need not post. We've heard it all before. The bottom line is there are many minority interest channels on Dish, which is the way it should be. There are many channels that I pay for, but do not watch. Dish subscribers have diverse interests and that's why there are so many diverse channels. That's why Dish needs to negotiate a contract with OLN. If Charlie doesn't feel we (the minority) deserve OLN, then he will lose us to one of the other services that do carry it (which is probably all the rest of them).

Just my $.02 worth...

Well, hopefully that $.02 will help you get hooked up with someone else, cause my guess is that you won't see OLN on Dish any time soon.

The loss of OLN has meant nothing to me. First, I have been on strike this season and have not watched any NHL hockey, nor been to one game, nor purchased any NHL paraphernalia. Second, I would have purchased the Center Ice package if I weren't on strike this season. However, now that the playoffs are starting...strike over and it's time to start cheering as The Wings take back the Stanley Cup!:)

Ok, it kind of sucks that I won't be able to see much...well, much of anything until the finals.:(

Even so, I'm behind E* on this one and I'll just have to savor the playoffs in small bits & pieces (a lot better than last year mind you). Anyway, that's my pennies worth of insight...

I too am glad Dish is not giving in! I see it as Dish's way of helping the local pub economy. No OLN on Dish means more $$ spent at bars which helps the economy! It also means people enjoy the games in public instead on stuck on your couches, which is good for you unless you enjoy watching the games in the buff or in your underwear!!!

As long as the tread stays on topic (OLN) and does not stray into personal attacks, as the other one did, I see nothing wrong with keeping the thread open.

However there is no news. The OLN STATUS is that it is not available on Dish, nor will it be for a while.

See ya
Tony

I am a HUGE hockey fan. And yet I do not miss OLN. Frankly, their coverage of the sport is not that good. And anyway, almost all of the games they showed this season were east coast games that I would not be home in time from work to watch (I'm in LA).

I would change my tune on this if OLN offered HD coverage via satellite providers. But since there is zero chance the cable companies will let InHD onto satellite, I could care less at this point.

It's too bad that OLN isn't a Lifetime channel. It would have been back by now, and with an HD version or something. I haven't heard about anyone protesting in the streets to get this channel back on Dish, so I wouldn't be surprised if it never returned.

sonnyboy11 said:
I am a HUGE hockey fan. And yet I do not miss OLN. Frankly, their coverage of the sport is not that good. And anyway, almost all of the games they showed this season were east coast games that I would not be home in time from work to watch (I'm in LA).

I would change my tune on this if OLN offered HD coverage via satellite providers. But since there is zero chance the cable companies will let InHD onto satellite, I could care less at this point.

I don't think OLN's coverage is very good either. However, after the second round of playoffs, it will be the ONLY coverage!

To everyone who posted their support for Dish on this issue and stated that OLN isn't worthwile anyway -- as I said in opening this topic, I would like to know about any changes in status on the negotiations with OLN. I understood -- from what little communication Dish has offered-- that they continue to negotiate with OLN. Before I make the investment to change providers, I want to make sure it is necessary.

I don't care that you don't want this channel. And when Dish decides to pull one of your favorites, remember it's all for the better for all Dish subscribers. Charlie knows best...

Cycling fans care about OLN also

Another group greatly impacted by no OLN on dish is cycling fans. OLN is the only place to view professional bike races like the Tour De France AND other races like the tour of Italy and Paris-Roubaix. Still hoping the OLN and dish can come to a resolution soon to bring OLN back to Dish.

Chris Walker said:
If this channel is not back up come playoffs time, people will raise hell with Dish
no they wont..if they were the channel would have been back by now...MOST cable companies (other than comcrap)carry oln-lite ..thats no hockey

My 5 cents

TNGTony said:
As long as the tread stays on topic (OLN) and does not stray into personal attacks, as the other one did, I see nothing wrong with keeping the thread open.

However there is no news. The OLN STATUS is that it is not available on Dish, nor will it be for a while.

See ya
Tony

Thanks for opening up a new thread to post status on OLN.
I am glad you finally closed the other thread, it was not providing any real status, just a debate.
Several people responded to my posts and challenged me to move on. Well I spent my 5 cents, and moved back to Cable after probably a 15 year or more absence.
I was an early C Band adopter (had to challenge local zoning laws).
I will keep a watch on this forum for news on E*. I basically do not have any contract obligations with cable and can switch back whenever I want. The service gets activated on Wed and I will cancel my Dish subscription either Wed or Thr.
At the end of the day, the deal I got was I will pay what I am paying now, for all the same programming, plus I will get a dual DVR tuner (HD), Digital box for bedroom and local and their HD programming. By signing up with INSIGHT, I will get an extra $10 reduction on my Broadband service, so I think I will be happy for awhile. I really think Dish has more HD programming today, but I will compare as the months go by. But if they do not settle the OLN issue, then forget it, I will stay with Insight or go to Direct.

Tony, thanks for your calm head and good advice.

Larry

Jhon69 said:
If your so upset,why have'nt you shown your displeasure,by changing your
satellite provider??That's my $.03 worth......
E*-Jan.02
D*-Mar.06

Good question, as I am one of the people that has expressed their unhappiness that OLN is off Dish. The one reason I, as a hockey fan, still have E* is that their Center Ice coverage is better than D*. E* shows both the local feeds from both teams most of the time (something you appreciate when you see the FSN Florida attempt to cover hockey) and they show the Hockey Night in Canada pre- game show on Saturday.

D* only shows one feed of the game. E* seems to do a better job with the Center Ice package than D*. That is why I am still with E*.

I see the whole thing as a repeat of the NHL/SportsChannel America deal in the 80's. It lived for a while and then the NHL realized they blew it. The NHL is mainly at fault in this as far as I am concerned. They signed the deal.

The term "NHL Marketing" is an oxymoron.

cosmo61 said:
The NHL is mainly at fault in this as far as I am concerned. They signed the deal.

The term "NHL Marketing" is an oxymoron.

How very true! The NHL would have been better served by giving the rights (free, if they had to, like they did with NBC) to a more mainstream network like USA if ESPN wouldn't take it. They need exposure and they will never get it with OLN.

Instead, they were short-sighted and sold out for 3 years of revenue, all the while knowing their exposure would decrease and put the league in bigger financial trouble. After the lockout/strike of 2004/05, signing with OLN may be the final nail in the coffin for the NHL.

It's a great game and is spectacular in HD, but the NHL is run by people who don't understand hockey or how to promote it as a televised sport...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts