Olympic 3d programs

tnsprin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
For the first day's coverage in the US, it appears they only showed the Opening ceremony. It looped several times during the day, and was on every time I checked.

The Good news. The 3d looked very good. Often different angles then the other NBC coverage of the opening ceremony. NO ANNOYING Commentators overtalking the program. Ads appeared at strange intervals, but when the program came back the didn't appear to lose any of the ceremony. The NBC 2d broadcast had cut at least one whole section of the opening performance that occurred right before the Athletes began entereing. The 3d broadcast showed that.

The first event coverage appears to start at 5am ET today. I set it to record and will watch it with interest. Many sports events shown in the past have really looked good in 3d, often being much clearer in what is happening then their 2d versions.

I would like to have some commentary on what is happening.I watched the 2D opening ceremonies and the 3D and not having commentary on what was happening you had no idea that there was a story being told about great britan.

I enjoyed not having the commentary as the talking heads distract from the performance, the only annoying thing was the Lorax snipe, but it helps pay the bill so I can live with it. I figured out quickly what was going on with the ceremony, I should have dvr'd the 2D opening to compare. (had it on, but was in and out)

I watched both versions and definitely liked the 3D version better; it's more like actually being there, not only because of the 3D but also because those in the stadium don't have to listen to the talking heads. Early on, during that nice piece with the choirs from the different isles Viera wouldn't shut up, and basically ruined that segment. She did get better about that, probably because the producer got in her ear. I also thought some of the camera perspectives were better. I wish I could see more of the Olympics in 3D but I'm really glad they're providing this coverage.

For the events either some commentary or better pickup of the PA would help. Often not sure which specific event was being covered. Was that a quarter final, semi final? of the 200m 400m? Butterfly or IM?

For the events either some commentary or better pickup of the PA would help. Often not sure which specific event was being covered. Was that a quarter final, semi final? of the 200m 400m? Butterfly or IM?
Note they now seem to have commentary on most events.

I had an opportunity to see DirecTV's 3D channel for Olympic events in 3D yesterday on two 55"' monitors, one was a Sony Active shutter and the other an LG Passive, side by side for good comparison. The LG showed some pretty bad aliasing on about 90% of all the images. The Sony was alias free. But with respect to the actual program, both demonstrated some very bad pixelated picture breakup that obviously came in on the satellite signal, either from DirecTV of from NBC source. This breakup seemed to be on all faster motion/ action shots so this tells me the transmission may have been really restricted in transponder bandwidth ( D* ?? )

I wonder if those of you who have the Olympics in 3D from D* see this and compare with those who get it on cable.

On good signal the 3D looked OK on most shots but many were nearly flat, probably due to using cameras that were not configured with adequate interaxial separation for the distance being shot. This is something that engineers and 3D designers will need to learn in order to improve the quality of the 3D look when shooting an event. More specifically, the Panasonic field 3D camcorders used are designed to do adequate 3D for scenes that range from 5 ft to 35 ft. Beyond that distance the cameras can zoom in and focus but the depth of the scene will go flat. In this range, twin cameras with variable separation needs to be used such as those rigs used by ESPN 3D.

As for the jaggies ( aliased image on the 55" LG 3D LED TV) I asked the salesman if he knew when the new LG 4K TV's would be out. I got this blank stare and then he responded with "Never heard of 4K, all we have are 55" 3D." I didn't pursue the question.

I came away from that demo yesterday, reassured that I need to wait on the new 4K LG that I saw demoed at CES earlier this year before adding one to my home theater. The 4K panels have no visible aliasing that I saw. However, those demos of 4K were done using full resolution Blue Ray, not SBS half that we get from TV broadcast. It could be that for SBS Half 3D active shutter technology may still be the best game in town.

They did the hand-over and not long after that my timer quit, I should have been monitoring but figured since it was a day old it should have been good... I will not buy rent or recommend The Lorax even to an enemy. ;)

Good, I won't get it.

FYI... it appears some guy in Australia recorded the opening and closing ceremonies in 3D and put it into six torrents, on that infamous bay of pirates. XBMC on my jailbroken appleTV was able to play them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)