The schedule of Olympic Events presented in 4K

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Thanks. So it appears the only reports so far are 4K resolution, no WCG and no HDR.

I wonder if my projector with Reality Creation feature for 2K to 4K upscaling is giving me the same picture quality as the Olympics IP output you are getting with the Hopper or from the DirecTV feed. .

This is looking like more over promise and under delivering all the way around.

I DVR'd the 5hr 30 minute opening and it looks great quality in 2K to 4K upscale with BT709 color.

I'm disappointed from a technology perspective but for just watching the Olympics, the DVR from local Off air is very good quality.

The biggest difference I see, besides the higher resolution, is much fewer compression artifacts. Looks great to me so far!

That's interesting and opens the door to that age old discussion of different methods of transmission and image artifacts.

Not sure how you watch your "locals" but I don't use Dish Network channels. They are all grainy compared to Off Air ATSC signal from the station. I could see it with my old projector the 90ES but now with 1080p to 2160p upscale, the difference is even greater. But my IP content from any of the sources suffers in a similar way as Dish "Locals" Each compression method these guys are using has it's own transmission personality. I like my programming with no transmission personality.

* My personal opinion is that HDR is a bit overrated from what I've seen. :(
I agree 100% Don.
I've had 3 HDR compatible displays and have sold or returned all. Not impressed enough to spend $ now on this technology that my eyes can't see a big enough difference with or without HDR.
Most seem to be in the same boat as I see on AVS posts saying "I must be in HDR since my backlight is maxed out". I want to know I'm seeing a big enough difference in pq without going into settings.
I'm sure things will get better in time but way it stands now I give HDR a big fat 0.
Don't even get me started on compatibility issues!

Not sure how you watch your "locals" but I don't use Dish Network channels. They are all grainy compared to Off Air ATSC signal from the station.
My local NBC affiliate has sub-channels, so the HD picture OTA is not that much better than what I get with Dish. Besides, the Prime-Time-Any-Time and the Auto-Hop features on Dish make viewing of network channels so much more convenient. I rarely watch any of those channels in real time any more, as I hate commercials!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)