Olympic Ratings on NBC

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Wow! Comcast/NBC have been doing something they haven't been doing since the mid-90s...winning the primetime ratings and eating the other broadcasters lunch with 30-40 million viewers tuning-in nightly. And they are actually getting a good chunk of their money back with agreements with DirecTV, Dish Network, Verzon/AT&T, etc. I can only assume the ratings are pretty good on NBCSports Network, CNBC and their Olympic Soccer and Basketball channels because I watch them more frequently than NBC.

Of course in a week or so they will be back to their old schedule. I wonder if all the show promotions will help their prime time at all next season.

Too bad for NBC that the olympics only happen every four years.On the bright side they do have SNF coming in Sept.As for the shows I really doubt the promos will help.

Of course in a week or so they will be back to their old schedule. I wonder if all the show promotions will help their prime time at all next season.

All the promotions can't hurt...of course, polishing a turd won't change the fact it is still a turd. If NBCs primetime lineup remains woefully void of entertainment...well, at least the viewers have learned where NBC is located in their programming lineup. However, if NBC should come to the market this fall with fresh, interesting and exciting new programming, then perhaps they will get a very nice boost in ratings afterall. Additionally, I think all the Olympics coverage shoud really help NBCSN since a lot of people stiil don't know where the former Versus channel.

Too bad for NBC that the olympics only happen every four years.On the bright side they do have SNF coming in Sept.As for the shows I really doubt the promos will help.
IMO, they are nailing the coffins of the new shows with the corny/irrelevant Olympics twists.

I would like to see the breakdown on the ratings. I don't know anyone that I talk to at work, family, or friends that are watching the Olympics. All I hear is people counting down till LSU plays their first game.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Olympic Ratings Still Stellar...

...however, does this include the ratings from CNBC, MSNBC, NBCSN, NBCSOC (Soccer) and NBCBSK (Basketball)?

Thursday:
8:00 PM NBC Summer Olympics (27.4 million)
9:00 PM NBC Summer Olympics (36.4 million)
10:00 PM NBC Summer Olympics (43.2 million)

Friday:
9:00 PM NBC 2012 Summer Olympics (26.36 million)
9:30 PM NBC 2012 Summer Olympics (29.47 million)
10:00 PM NBC 2012 Summer Olympics (31.29 million)
10:30 PM NBC 2012 Summer Olympics (31.40 million)

Saturday:
9:00 PM NBC 2012 Summer Olympics (25.30 million)
9:30 PM NBC 2012 Summer Olympics (28.01 million)
10:00 PM NBC 2012 Summer Olympics (29.70 million)
10:30 PM NBC 2012 Summer Olympics (30.59 million)

Sunday:
8:00 PM NBC Summer Olympics (28.3 million)
9:00 PM NBC Summer Olympics (33.2 million)
10:00 PM NBC Summer Olympics (34.9 million)

I should have explained. Ratings broken down by age groups, gender, etc. Not by hour. That would be the ones I would be interested in.

digiblur said:
I should have explained. Ratings broken down by age groups, gender, etc. Not by hour. That would be the ones I would be interested in.

Considering that the Super Bowl drew 111 million viewers, I think it is safe to say that that almost everyone is watching the Olympics this year. As I recall, the 18-49 demographic is doing extremely well. Offhand, I don't know anyone who hasn't followed at least one sport in this iteration.

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys App

Maybe it's an LA thing, but I don't know one person who watches the Olympics. I don't hear a single person around the office talking about in passing, on the elevators, lunch room, cafeteria, etc.

That's why I was interested in the ratings.

Maybe it's an LA thing, but I don't know one person who watches the Olympics. I don't hear a single person around the office talking about in passing, on the elevators, lunch room, cafeteria, etc.

That's why I was interested in the ratings.

Must be a Mississippi thing as well. I know a few, but it is a very few that are following it, and some of those are only following the medal count.

No body I know is watching either. Very different from when I was a kid, it was a big thing.

No body I know is watching either. Very different from when I was a kid, it was a big thing.

There were only four channels on the dial (three if you don't count UHF) when I was growing-up in the 70s so yes...the Olympics back then were huge, especially against the Russians. Heck, 106 million viewers tuned-in for the final episode of M*A*S*H which is absurd by today's standards. People have a lot more choices these days, which is why these ratings are so good. There was also no Internet...no video games, per se...many stores were closed on Sunday...and you couldn't buy beer or wine before noon (no hard liquor sales on Sunday).

I wonder if there is any info on how much better NBC ratings are right after the Olympics compared to a period of time after that.

I wonder if there is any info on how much better NBC ratings are right after the Olympics compared to a period of time after that.

I'm sure the data is out there...somewhere, but it would be far easier to contact someone who keeps tracks of ratings for a living. Offhand, I think it's safe to assume NBC will double their primetime ratings come September with as many as three-hundred people tuning-in. :D

I have hardly watched any of the Olympics and will be glad when it is over and NBC will lose viewers when primetime series startup in September and is one of the worse stations for series imo :D :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)