Olympics Availability

Stacy A

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 15, 2003
northeast Texas
If I understood Mr. Ergen correctly Monday night then there will be no blackouts or restrictions associated with getting the Olympics in HD through Dish this time. Is this a correct assessment? Last time the Olympics were only available in certain markets and I was denied. What's different this time?

No, you won't need OTA for this - Dish will broadcast it on the HD Event channel, I believe. My question is - Will it be available to ALL HD customers or only the ones that "qualify" for the broadcast?

The real question is, What is the content? Is this going to be a "highlight" reel? Or is this channel going to have live/tape delayed events. I have to say, I never get excited about the Olympics until it starts, then I find it hard to tear myself away from it.

I hope they leave out the "Sony repetitive commercial" torture this time. ;)

NightRyder

Last edited:
Talking about Olympics coverage nobody raises the question of UniversalHD being in Mpeg2 and available to current HD subscribers. It is very important especially to all hockey fans screwed by E* - OLN fiasco. UniversalHD will have all hockey games in HD live.

Scott Greczkowski said:
This is a special feed from NBC which is delayed. So there will be no blackouts. :)
Scott,
It was a special feed the last time too. I sure didn't get it because of my DMA. I had to watch it via OTA in SD digital. Yes, it was blacked out. I suspect it that only the chosen will get to see it.

boy921 said:
Scott,
It was a special feed the last time too. I sure didn't get it because of my DMA. I had to watch it via OTA in SD digital. Yes, it was blacked out. I suspect it that only the chosen will get to see it.

The 2004 Summer Olympics HD channel was the exact same contact that was shown on the NBC OTA-HD channel... 3 8-hour loops of coverage from the previous day. But as mentioned I believe it was only available to those in NBC O&O markets.

The details from their press release show there will be 2 HD outlets:

NBC HD
The Torino Games will feature the most high definition coverage in Olympic television history. For the first time, Olympic HD viewers will see a simulcast of the analog broadcast - same time, same broadcasters, same graphics - but in High Definition and in 5.1 surround sound.
Figure skating, hockey, long and short track speed skating, ski jumping, freestyle aerials and moguls, and the Opening and Closing Ceremonies will all be broadcast in 1080i high definition because those venues in Torino are wired for high definition coverage by the host broadcaster. From those venues where the host broadcaster is unable to provide a high definition signal, a 16:9 signal will be upconverted by NBC.
Your local NBC affiliate's digital channel will carry the high definition simulcast of the network coverage.
UNIVERSAL HD
Since USA, MSNBC and CNBC, like most cable networks, do not have high definition platforms, Universal HD, NBC Universal's high definition cable network, will carry a live simulcast of much of the cable coverage, featuring Olympic hockey like it has never been seen before.

The question remains... will the Dish Olympics HD channel be the NBC HD stuff (real-time of NBC SD), the Universal HD stuff, or some delayed stuff not shown on either channel? If the Dish Olympics HD channel is just the NBC HD stuff (i.e. NY NBC-HD), will it just be available in O&O markets?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)