Olympics Feed Freezing The Micro

There have been some standups for the news over here. Plus, NBC O&Os and Gannett have services for their stations' use. There's a service called HD Beauty that, when I looked at it on Thursday night, had a shot of the Thames. It stinks I can only receive these during the cool night. Maybe I should wrap my LNB with an ice pack!

There have been some standups for the news over here. Plus, NBC O&Os and Gannett have services for their stations' use. There's a service called HD Beauty that, when I looked at it on Thursday night, had a shot of the Thames. It stinks I can only receive these during the cool night. Maybe I should wrap my LNB with an ice pack!

If you are even 1/2 serious, get one of those 12 volt Peltier thermo-electric coolers you use in the car. Maybe pick one up cheap at Goodwill or something. Strip out the thermo-electric module and mount it cool-side against your lnb. You'll have to power it with a transformer run from a separate line. You might have to mount a large heat sink (if it doesn't already have one) on the HOT side. Or, buy one from Ebay and fab it up: Peltier TEC Thermoelectric Cooler Device Thermo Electric Module MAX 90W 40x40mm | eBay

That would be a fun experiment!

Panavision said:

Liquid nitrogen case ...... Often thought about building a cased LNB. Heat is the number one performance killer for LNBs.

I forget where I read an article some years back about the gentleman in South America receiving the out of footprint Hotbird / Astra channels using a chilled LNB.

Mid 90's F and my 33" Ku dish mounted in a corner of the deck barely sees ms10 and ms20 this afternoon. Now they are coming in mid 40's. Works much better when it's -40...

Its like that for me too, and I have a 1.8m Prodelin dish, with the LNB skewed correctly. They using high FEC and low power, so if your dish isnt dead on, it will be a nogo.

Would this be a use of transponder to play with us because of the power required for a Satellite C Band system when the TP is next to the same polarity at 4 degree spacing/ and the dish is receiving from both satellites? If it is KU; supposedly each TP has the same power factor applied as a requirement in "it's a TP being used"; that is that the power of the centered satellite does not allow ingress of the satellite near to it to "apply" any power. A KU dish and feed should show this amount of gain (normally does); however in TP use; the parameters of the TP do play with the channels ability to be seen if the stability of the single channel within the signal being received is a very thin margin (FEC 9/10). Then a 1 Mb stable LNBf may not be able to differentiate a singular channel in the signal...This is why it "loses data" and does this "normal reaction" to a very narrow signal (where many small channel's resides in/as the TP) it cannot pick up within the required margin, (let alone when adding the noise of the sun and heat this time of year). This reaction is normal when so many channels reside on one TP (squaring/freezing/etc. sameness of picture). A stable LNBf will not only help; but many times solve these issues!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)