Omaha Steaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re Omaha

Hi, new to the site. I usually get Omaha through the mypoints website. They always have a deal there and you get plenty of meat for the money. Plus, being a member I get points for the purchase to use for rewards and stuff. All in All very satisfied with Omaha Steaks.

Well UPS has F*(K up and the driver did not look for my mailbox and now they want to deliever tommorrow. I am really pissed off right now:mad: :mad: :mad:

I called and the CSR told me she would put a request in to the outlet and see if I could pick it up tonight. I paid extra for shipping and this really sucks!!! UPS sucks!!!
Why do they not us FedEx?

The Tate said:
What is the difference in the warm water lobster and cold water lobster?

cold/warm water is the type of ocean climate the lobster originates from, cold water lobster (Nova Scotia/Maine, etc) is generally considered tastier.

You do not want to pay for "warm water" lobster. Cold water lobsters from Australia are widely considered the best. Also don't buy any markets as freshwater lobster.

Well they are in. :hungry:

After dealing with UPS my first impressions of the product were good. Everything was still frozen and everything but my seasoning was there, someone screwed up with that and instead they sent me 8 extra burgers:up :hungry: . The seasoning is also on the way after I emailed them.

Tonight I tried the 6oz top sirloin and it absolutely was great, very tender, very juicy, and overall was much better than the crap you get at market. I also had a stuffed potato and BBQ beans. The beans were way to expensive as I thought they were going to be more. The stuffed potatos were however a good buy.

Overall I would give the experiance an 6 out of 10, although the food is great they did make 2 mistakes. Bad shipping company "UPS SUCKS" and did not send my seasoning which was not a big deal.

Last edited:
OK, I've never bought from Omaha, so I am going to ask.

I can tell a big difference from buying grade B stuff from Safeway and buying choice/prime at Whole Foods or the local butcher. Can you really claim that this stuff is better than an aged piece of prime from Whole Foods market? I kind of prefer the thought that what I buy there is never frozen and I only need tobuy what I need.

I wonder what the REAL quality taste difference is. I DO know that Wallmart meat is cheap but not as tasty as giant eagle, the local big grocery store.

but how much better is omaha than giant eagle? or giant eagles service grade of beef? which is pricier and probably better? will have to ask the meat dept?

I have had steaks at Fridays and lonestar that are worlds better that what I can buy at the local store.

Well Walmart is the crappiest place to ever buy meat as you said. On the other had we have a Kroger here and their meat is pretty good. The difference in the cuts of the Omaha steaks and the ones from Kroger is the Omaha has absolutely no fat on them, I know some people like a little on the steak but I personally do not. Although I do like the Kroger cuts I personally like the Omaha better when the texture and taste comes into play. However the best steak I believe is made at Logans Roadhouse, the Omaha does not compare to it.

We have a local grocery chain that does service meats. Buy USDA Choice NY Strip whole, for example, at a really good price and get it cut whatever thickness you want.

I have stepped up to USDA Prime at about $10 per pound on occasion. Well worth the money. It tasted like Morton's but at one-third the price.

I've always thought about ordering something from them... just checked my employer's website and we get a 40% discount with them. Cool! What's for dinner?

EDIT: Hmm...comparing prices it isn't always 40% off. Most of the items its 15%, then my discounted blockbuster combo is $144 with the discount and $99 without! LOL

Last edited:
The Tate said:
Well Walmart is the crappiest place to ever buy meat as you said. On the other had we have a Kroger here and their meat is pretty good. The difference in the cuts of the Omaha steaks and the ones from Kroger is the Omaha has absolutely no fat on them, I know some people like a little on the steak but I personally do not. Although I do like the Kroger cuts I personally like the Omaha better when the texture and taste comes into play. However the best steak I believe is made at Logans Roadhouse, the Omaha does not compare to it.

My understanding was better quality beef had more fat marbling? I do know that fat free / super lean ground beef doesnt taste nearly as good as the fat laden burgers of the past.

a few years ago we went to a barbecue, and found the burgers were just like when i was a kid.

I went in search of their source, frozen 35% lean:(
Ahh that means 55% FAT!:(

Still they tasted awesome, and are a extreme rare treat. bought like 2 boxes in 5 years for parties. I warn the hungry.

I do know Omaha has quality and they do taste good because I have had them before, BUT at $15 / lb for Top Sirloin before any S/H is a JOKE! Strip is $17.50, T-bone $16 and Filet is $29.33 on sale. Where do they list their USDA grades? I have bought from a local gourmet market cheaper than these SALE prices and it was just as tasty while leaving more $ in my pocket. AND I will bet good money that it was still USDA Choice. If your beef is USDA Prime you will have it advertised all over the place. Such as http://www.lobels.com - http://www.mybutcher.com - http://www.allenbrothers.com/

Less than two percent of American beef is good enough to earn the coveted USDA Prime rating. It's not USDA Prime (America's best beef) unless it's clearly labeled USDA Prime.

USDA Quality Grading
In terms of quality, the USDA grades meat according to the following:
Marbling Marbling refers to small pieces of fat within the meat. Marbling makes the meat more flavorful and tender, so an increase in the degree of marbling raises the level of quality, however, too much marbling or very thick pieces of marbling lowers the quality of the beef.
Age of Animal The best beef comes from animals that are 1½ to 2 years old. If the animal is older than 2½ years, the meat is tougher, but it is actually more flavorful. Moist heat cooking methods such as braising will help to tenderize older beef.
Miscellaneous Quality Factors Other factors that determine the quality of beef are color, texture, and firmness of the meat.
The USDA uses 8 grading levels to represent the quality of beef.
The top 3 levels are Prime, Choice, and Select.

Prime

Prime is the top quality possible and represents only about 2% of the beef that is graded. It has the most marbling, which makes it the most flavorful and tender. Prime beef is usually only available to restaurants, but is occasionally found in some specialty meat markets.

The term "Prime Rib" is misleading as a description for a cut of beef because it may be mistakenly interpreted as meaning that the beef is graded "Prime". Prime Rib often refers to a rib roast and unless the meat is served in a better restaurant, the Prime Rib may actually be graded "Choice".

Choice

Choice beef is usually the highest grade found in food stores and represents about 45% of the graded beef available to the consumer. It has a fair amount of marbling and is juicy and tender (depending on the cut).

Select

Beef graded "Select" is the leanest of the top 3 grades and represents about 20% of the graded total. Because it is the leanest, the Select grade has less marbling than Prime or Choice. It is less tender and juicy than higher grades, but it is also less expensive. Beef graded "Select" is beneficial for people who are watching their fat intake and calories as well as their expenses. If all beef in the United States were graded, most of it would be graded "Select".
The other grades of beef as determined by the USDA are Standard, which is a notch below Select, followed by Commercial, Utility, Cutter, and Canner. Standard and Commercial grades are often sold in food stores as a store brand with no indication of the actual grade. Utility, Cutter, and Canner grades are never found in food stores, but are generally used for commercially canned meat products and sausages.
The grade of beef that is purchased not only makes a difference in the tenderness and overall quality of the meat, but also in the method that is selected for cooking. For example, a naturally lean cut such as a bottom round roast will have little difference in marbling between the Select grade and the Choice and Prime grades, but there may be just enough difference in a higher grade to allow the meat to be roasted (if it is not overcooked) rather than braised, which is the usual cooking method for most beef round cuts.

Last edited:
I have relatives that farm so I usually get a 1/2 a beef and a whole hog once in a while from them. Just put a processed hog in the deep freeze last sunday. The meat is better than any prime I've eaten in a restaurant. None of the meat is 'rated' on the packaging and everything is by the pound (steaks cost the same as ground beef). While in college I bought store bought steak a few times and it's not near as good...had to raid the parents deep freeze to get the good stuff. I grew up eating really good steaks, so omaha steaks just isn't as good. However it's better than most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)