This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

On Demand internet connection help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jb14075

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
Hamburg, NY
I'm getting ready to hook up my HR22-100 to the internet via ethernet cable but Ive seen/read conflicting reports on the internet about this so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction before I buy something I don't need or something that isn't going to work. Here is my situation ...........

My computer & HR22 are in the same room so I can run an ethernet cable to the HR22, the problem I have is that my modem (from Time Warner for Roadrunner internet & digital phone) only has one out port for an ethernet cable. Currently the ethernet cable runs to the computer, the only other ports on the back of the modem are 1- phone line to the phone & an unused USB "B" style port.

My question is this ......... can I run a USB "B" to "A" cable from the modem to the HR22 to get this to work or do I need to buy a router & connect via an ethernet cable? In place of a router is it possible to use an ethernet switch?

You will need to buy a router. They are cheap and easy to set up. Life will be easier for you in the future. Not to mention the added security if set correct with a router.

What model cable modem do you have? I ask because some models have a router built in. If so, then all you need is an ethernet switch.

What model cable modem do you have? I ask because some models have a router built in. If so, then all you need is an ethernet switch.

The only info on it is Arris Touchstone Telephony Modem, under the Ethernet port it says 10/100. It was provided by Time Warner Cable when I had Roadrunner internet & digital phone hooked up.

The only info on it is Arris Touchstone Telephony Modem, under the Ethernet port it says 10/100. It was provided by Time Warner Cable when I had Roadrunner internet & digital phone hooked up.

Based on what I have read on your modem you can do either. Unless you have the desire to have wireless in your house, buy a switch. You can get 10/100 switches for $20 at Newegg or even at Best Buy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.