"on demand" misnomer

12153dad

Original poster
Jul 4, 2013
United States
have hopper/sling/joey.........search for something to watch thru "on demand" and whether free or $$ theres ALWAYS a screen that comes up after i select "watch" that tells me a time at which i can watch (varies from 30 mins to 7+hours).......what part of "on demand" am i missing?????????

Are you talking about the 'Watch Now' 'Watch Later' screen? If its an IPVOD event it starts downloading right away and the 'Watch Now' button illuminates once enough of the movie has been downloaded where you can view while streaming. What specific movie are you talking about, I'm confused about your description of the problem.

with remote: choose menu......choose on demand.....choose "all" movies....choose "all" releases.....choose "free"......then all the resultant choices of movies invariably have a "can be watched in" various time amounts......same even occurs for some of the lower priced rentals.....

Sounds like maybe your Internet connection speed varies. What type connection do you have?

broadband........pix of screens attached SAM_0662.JPGSAM_0663.JPG

broadband........

But what speed? If you can't sustain about 6-7mbps, then the program will not be available until enough has downloaded that the receiver thinks you'll be able to start watching and not overrun the buffered data.

What speed is the connection? at 8 Hours I would think 1.5mbps or so? If the internet speed is greater than that, how is the hopper connected? If wireless or powerline, try cat5 or HIC.

when i download torrents, my speed is usually between 100-125 kb/s........how does that translate to your "6-7 mbps"???
That's only about 2x dialup speed, but torrents are not the best measure. What do you get at speedtest.net or testmy.net?