On demand quality issues

thechaz05

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 26, 2011
Irwin
I have been doing a lot of downloads over the last few weeks and have noticed some issues. While watching the downloaded movies, both while downloading and after finished, the quality goes in and out. There will be a quick black flash and the picture will be poor. not horrible, but noticeably diminished quality. Then another quick flash and all is perfect again. This happens a couple times to many times each movie.

For the record, my download speed is over 60mb so it's not my internet. The hopper is connected with ethernet.

I would also like to know how fast the hopper download speed should be. I have seen a maximum of around 17mbps, but often it's around 3 then goes up to around 11 after a few seconds of viewing that screen. Like it says oh no he caught me and then speeds back up.:p

Oh, and I have no issues with quality using netflix or vudu etc. on my roku, 360, or blu ray player.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Is it possible that I am the only one having these issues? Perhaps I am the only one actually downloading movies lol.

I download a ton of movies and I don't see these issues. I'm hard wired to my router and my Internet speed at home is between 25-45 mbps down on average. When streaming an IPVOD the max speed I've hit is 23-24 mbps. Can you provide specific examples of movies you see this with and I can test them on my boxes. Do you have a Hopper or HWS?

Original hopper, MIB, MIB3, amazing spiderman, ice age 1, harry potter 1 just to name a few off hand. Like I said while playing there will be a quick flash and the pq is noticeably worse then a couple minutes later another flash and it's perfect again. Really annoying.

I wish there was a way to force it to act as a downloaded program instead of a streamed one. I don't watch it live so I'm fine with it taking extra time to get a high quality version.

The only thing I ever noticed this issue on was on episodes oh The Ricky Gervais show. EVERY single episode. Haven't noticed it on anything else. Just watched Premium Rush a couple of weeks ago and had no issue. I will however dvr films from the network instead of on-demand if they are airing soon so as to avoid any quality issues.

The only thing I ever noticed this issue on was on episodes oh The Ricky Gervais show. EVERY single episode. Haven't noticed it on anything else. Just watched Premium Rush a couple of weeks ago and had no issue. I will however dvr films from the network instead of on-demand if they are airing soon so as to avoid any quality issues.

So you are familiar with what I am talking about though? I was starting to think I was the only one.

I've noticed numerous black flashes on Dish streaming, most recently on Marvel's The Avengers. I have a HWS.

I've noticed numerous black flashes on Dish streaming, most recently on Marvel's The Avengers. I have a HWS.

Are you noticing that the picture quality changes with flashes as well?

Just wanted to jump in here real quick and let "thechaz" know that I too see this issue with On Demand rentals. Amazing Spiderman was one, and I believe MiB3 as well. It's as if the Hopper begins downloading a lower quality version, then switches to true HD after the flash. My Hopper usually reports streaming speeds of 5 to 6 Mbps. Should be more than sufficient to download the highest quality version.

Just wanted to jump in here real quick and let "thechaz" know that I too see this issue with On Demand rentals. Amazing Spiderman was one, and I believe MiB3 as well. It's as if the Hopper begins downloading a lower quality version, then switches to true HD after the flash. My Hopper usually reports streaming speeds of 5 to 6 Mbps. Should be more than sufficient to download the highest quality version.

Exactly. Now if only it could get resolved. It's really irritating watching a movie that way.

I just had my home upgraded this past week to HWS-J & H-J system and noticed the same thing happening just as the OP described.

We were streaming/watching a movie on the TV connected to the HWS and the black flash occurred at least 2 times. The Pq was noticeably worse after the flash occurred then better afterwards.

I'm also on cable internet with speeds up to 30mbps down so that shouldn't be an issue. How can I tell the rate at which the movie is d'loading?

I just had my home upgraded this past week to HWS-J & H-J system and noticed the same thing happening just as the OP described.

We were streaming/watching a movie on the TV connected to the HWS and the black flash occurred at least 2 times. The Pq was noticeably worse after the flash occurred then better afterwards.

I'm also on cable internet with speeds up to 30mbps down so that shouldn't be an issue. How can I tell the rate at which the movie is d'loading?

While it's streaming hit info and it will show the speed.

Hoping someone from dish can look into this as it is still a very annoying issue.

I actually saw this the other day and reported it and was told there have been additional people reporting it and that their engineering guys were looking into it again or something along those lines.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts