On/off Duo recieved questions

Yragha

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
I had a 54 remote and a Hopper Duo installed yesterday.

Everytime I click the power button (remote) the TV comes on and Dish reciever with message saying (press any button on remote otherwise Hopper will go into Standby)

Is their a way to turn that message off? Never happened in the past on my older reciever.

Is their not a way to just turn on/off both
at the same time?
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I never did like that standby message. If you want to just turn the receiver off without turning the TV off, you can try the voice command "turn off." This is great when it actually works. Yesterday, voice commands were not working on my Wally at the time I tried it, so I used the power button on the 54 remote. Then, I used the power button on my TV to turn it back on, and saw that same standby message you mentioned, in the lower-right corner of the screen. I waited to see how long it would take to time-out and turn the receiver off. Thankfully, it is only maybe a couple of minutes. This is a huge improvement over the old five-minute countdown, which was a large pop-up in the middle of the screen.

What I normally do to turn the TV and receiver on with the 54 remote is press the TV mode button first, then press the power button. With the screensaver on the screen, I press the Sat mode button, and that turns the receiver on. Then, when turning the receiver back off, I use the voice command as I mentioned above. If I also want to turn the TV off, I press the TV mode button before pressing the power button again. This procedure avoids the possibility of seeing the standby countdown, and ensures that everything actually does get turned off right away.

Another thing you could try is using an older remote that actually has a separate power button for the TV. This makes it easy to turn on or off only one device at a time. The drawback of an older remote would be the lack of voice commands, unless you use a 50.0 remote, which has voice control.

I had a 54 remote and a Hopper Duo installed yesterday.

Everytime I click the power button (remote) the TV comes on and Dish reciever with message saying (press any button on remote otherwise Hopper will go into Standby)

Is their a way to turn that message off? Never happened in the past on my older reciever.

Is their not a way to just turn on/off both
at the same time?
Thanks.

Hi!

This is as designed, the Hopper is never truly off since there's always some level of power needed to be able to record in the background. This screen also shows if you just turn the Hopper off and not the TV, it's just the standby screen. We're happy to pass your feedback along regarding this!

On the side of your 54 remote press SAT. It sounds like you are in TV mode.
In TV mode, the power button would only control the TV. In Sat mode, the power button controls both the satellite receiver and the TV. It sounded to me more like the Hopper Duo was already on before the power button was pressed. So, pressing the power button would turn the TV on, but put the Hopper Duo into the standby countdown before turning it off.

Reactions: TheKrell
Yes the old remotes with separate TV/Sat never an issue for my elderly parents. I may look into one. This new setup of clicking any button to prevent Standby threw me for a loop.

Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks everyone btw. Glad to be back. The forum activity seems to be waning I hope that's not the case. I get Satellite TV is not as big of a thing as say even 5 years ago but this is a great tool for those that needs answers to technical questions.

Yes the old remotes with separate TV/Sat never an issue for my elderly parents. I may look into one. This new setup of clicking any button to prevent Standby threw me for a loop.
I have a spare 52 remote that I hardly ever use, if you want it. I may even be able to spare a 40 remote. I listed them for sale in the Classifieds section, along with my old Hopper Duo and Wally receivers. I would be willing to sell them separately, though, if all you want is the remote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts