Once again Sony is out to screw

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ocnier

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 28, 2004
Grapevine, TX
I was reading the announcement of WUSB and found this related article. First the screw job with HD-DVD (that was finalized first) and now another possible war in another area. Sony gets more and more evil by the minute in my book..... :mad:

See the link....
Battle brewing over eliminating all those wires - CES 2008 - MSNBC.com

I know this probably goes in the computer forum, but I couldn't help but note it casts another cloud over an already un-friendly consumer company. I still hope HD-DVD survives.

Sony + consumer friendly practices = sucks

Is there anything else needed to start a "F*ck Sony" campaign?
Even if it is limited to only your household?

Diogen.

Sony has always been an anti-consumer company.. they aim to create their own standards rather than work with existing ones so they can make bigger profit..

From the article, Sony's TransferJet only works over a few centimeters while the wireless USB works at 30 feet. If your device is a few centimeters away why isn't it just plugged in? I like how the WUSB allows multiple computers to be connected and let them all use the same peripherals.

Is there anything else needed to start a "F*ck Sony" campaign?
Even if it is limited to only your household?

Diogen.

Diogen, I hear ya, it just seems that sometimes the stars align and a spade's a spade. Ya just call it like it is, but I won't lie- I am biased toward the hd-dvd lose as of late. :eek:

I think HD lost. Have no problems with it. There was at least a 50-50 chance it would happen. And HD always was an underdog. No surprises here for me.
I don't equate BD and Sony. Obviously, Sony is the biggest player in the BD team and potentially the biggest winner when BD wins - they deserve it.
I have no problems with how this game was played by either side - big business means big money at stake and that means being dirty to the point of being ugly. Rules of the game.

The one and only one thing I hate the most is being treated like an idiot.
And not a single player from both camps is more guilty of it than Sony. By miles.

This is why my personal war with Sony doesn't end here despite BD (and Sony) winning over HD.
Sony's intellectual property (of interest to me) in audio and video for me is synonym of public domain:
I take it where I can and give to anybody who wants it. This is how it is and how it is going to be.

Diogen.

sony's dropping of drm on their mp3 is to

a) hopefully have people buy songs rather than download them via illegal means..
b) save some face after all the Bullsh!t they've pulled in the last year..
c) quell their anti-consumer apperence thats been rolling through the internet as of lately

(btw blu-ray was another standard they made up rather than working with the group they were a part of)

so the whole HDM war you can thank them for.. remember they broke off from the hd group not the other way around..

Sony has always been an anti-consumer company.. they aim to create their own standards rather than work with existing ones so they can make bigger profit..

So true! Just wait and see what $ony does if their junky boo ray takes off and dominates the HD media.

Everyone keeps screaming that Sony does not go to standards groups to get things done. Well why should they? Part of being innovative and building market share is going it alone a lot of times. Doing it in a standards group means you have to share your technology. Yes it can lead to a bunch of failures, but nothing says a standards group item will succeed either. The BD group did not want to share their technology with the DVD forum. This is caplitalism, they wanted the market and they got it this time. If you keep making the wrong call you will suffer for it. No one can say Sony has not suffered a lot for their mistakes.

Diogen, doesn't Sony's reversal on Sony's BMG DRM stand help the pain even just a little bit?
No.
They don't go DRM-free because they think they f*cked up. They do so because it might make them more money. Big difference.

Here is an example.
A few years ago the Canadian QuickTax made by Intuit had a new copy protection that employed writing some code into the MBR (Master Boot Record). Some multi-boot PCs had problems (most of mine are of this type). Three month later they admitted to have screwed up, offered a clean copy, offered support for that year version for 10 years free, promissed to never use it again.
This is "to come clean" in my books.

When Rusinovich discovered the Sony's rootkit:
1. First official statement - they have done nothing wrong.
2. Code gets installed only to play the CD on the PC - lie, it was installed even if you cancel out of the first window with the license agreement (!!!)
3. It doesn't do any damage - lie, exploit was ready in about 2 weeks.
4. It doesn't call home - lie, it does, regularly.
To get the uninstall program you had to give Sony your address (!!!).
And if the uninstall wasn't done properly, you lose your optical drive at best, the whole setup - at worst.
In the end Sony blaimed it on BMG legacy...
This is "not to come clean" in my books.
And can we not be fair and point out that it is the studios who are pressing for DRM on HDM and not Sony?
Well, Sony is a studio.
But I have no problem with this. It will be broken, I know it, they know it.
Casual copying might be slowed down a bit. And doesn't their latest DRM-free music idea suggest that they allow for the very thought that DRM might be stupid from the start?

Diogen.

The BD group did not want to share their technology with the DVD forum. This is caplitalism...
So, DVD Forum is communism then?
What does doing something in orgs and "sharing technology" have in common? Nothing.

Establishing BDA and going it on its own had nothing to do with "sharing" and everything to do with taking revenge for 1997.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)