Truth finally coming out: Sony was willing to lose more money than Toshiba to win

SOny won because they were willing to bleed more. I said that from day one. I also said that it is now profit taking time with overprced players and movies. I am batting a 1000 so far.

Didn't you also say that HD-DVD would win the format war?

I meant this
and this was your answerDiogen.

I know. He then went on to say gen 1's didn't have HDMi, when we corrected him he said it only passed 5.1 because it didn't have 1.3. Too tired to search for my post. Long day.

S~

Why are you guys discussing the dead? And Diogen, I am very happy to give you a target for your misleeding bs. Reading your rants and comebacks really does bring a smile to my face. You must live too close to the North Pole as your brain seems to lack the ablility to move on.:)

All of you are very smart, who cares that the first gen HD-DVD players could not do more then 5.1 -- its a dead format. Who cares if Sony loses their collective a$$e$ for two or three years -- they make a boatload of money as a company overall.

Seems everyone here has missed the big boat. To make money you have to spend it. At some time you have to gamble and that is what both Toshiba and Sony did with HD media. Toshiba does not have as many revenue streams as Sony does but neither company was ever in jeopardy of going belly-up - not before and not now.

As for the PS3, lets use this old article from August 2007(as you guys are so fond of living in the past):

X-bit labs - Sony’s Low-Cost PlayStation 3 Features Lower Cost Components Too.

Now considering that Sony is better at manufacturing then Microsoft (The PS3 might be the least problematic console ever built) and use M$ BOM reduction of 38% and apply it to the PS3. I will use the numbers in the article. For the 60gb model sold for $599 and losing $301 dollars (I am using the highest value so that I don't hear any whining) you get a cost of $900 for the 60gb. If we apply 38% reduction cost we then get a savings of $342 per unit. That comes to $558 per unit that is now being sold for $499. We are looking at a loss of $59 per unit.

I am sure that when someone buys a PS3 that they do not buy extra contollers, games, the camera, the remote controller, and BluRay movies. They just buy the PS3 and set it on a shelf and look at it -- huh? You Sony haters really believe that Sony is losing on the PS3 that badly? It looks to me that the PS3 is just now becoming a cash cow for Sony. And as they save more money on production costs that cow is just going to grow.

Of course we could listen to Diogen and Vurbano who have still not left 2006 yet. Hey guys, come join us in the future, it's Independance Day 2008! :flag:

Why are you guys discussing the dead? And Diogen, I am very happy to give you a target for your misleeding bs. Reading your rants and comebacks really does bring a smile to my face. You must live too close to the North Pole as your brain seems to lack the ablility to move on.:)

All of you are very smart, who cares that the first gen HD-DVD players could not do more then 5.1 -- its a dead format. Who cares if Sony loses their collective a$$e$ for two or three years -- they make a boatload of money as a company overall.

Seems everyone here has missed the big boat. To make money you have to spend it. At some time you have to gamble and that is what both Toshiba and Sony did with HD media. Toshiba does not have as many revenue streams as Sony does but neither company was ever in jeopardy of going belly-up - not before and not now.

As for the PS3, lets use this old article from August 2007(as you guys are so fond of living in the past):

X-bit labs - Sony’s Low-Cost PlayStation 3 Features Lower Cost Components Too.

Now considering that Sony is better at manufacturing then Microsoft (The PS3 might be the least problematic console ever built) and use M$ BOM reduction of 38% and apply it to the PS3. I will use the numbers in the article. For the 60gb model sold for $599 and losing $301 dollars (I am using the highest value so that I don't hear any whining) you get a cost of $900 for the 60gb. If we apply 38% reduction cost we then get a savings of $342 per unit. That comes to $558 per unit that is now being sold for $499. We are looking at a loss of $59 per unit.

I am sure that when someone buys a PS3 that they do not buy extra contollers, games, the camera, the remote controller, and BluRay movies. They just buy the PS3 and set it on a shelf and look at it -- huh? You Sony haters really believe that Sony is losing on the PS3 that badly? It looks to me that the PS3 is just now becoming a cash cow for Sony. And as they save more money on production costs that cow is just going to grow.

Of course we could listen to Diogen and Vurbano who have still not left 2006 yet. Hey guys, come join us in the future, it's Independance Day 2008! :flag:

Actually the PS3 has shown some vulnerabilities lately with the release of MGS4 quite a few PS3 have had the dreaded Black Screen of death.

But I am starting to see a industry wide pattern, Quite a few of the All in one machines we have purchased on campus have been dying as well. all due to same issue that the Xbox 360 has.

The lead free soldier they are using develops crystal whiskers that weaken the connection between the chips and motherboard leading to eventual failure.

Why the PS3 had been a more stable platform? My theory is that software manufacturers were able to push the 360 harder right out of the gate, since ms had a more complete development package.

Now that companies are figuring out how to push the PS3, we will start to see more problems.

Like I said this is not Sony's nor MS's fault, the whole motherboard industry is starting to have failures like this. :(

...Diogen, I am very happy to give you a target
Thanks. What would I do without stupid posts like yours?:)
...who cares that the first gen HD-DVD players could not do more then 5.1 -- its a dead format.
Who cares if Sony loses their collective a$$e$ for two or three years -- they make a boatload of money as a company overall.
This should probably read: "Who cares that I was pulling out of my a$$ every argument I made? I did it in the past, I'll do it in the future!"

Isn't this true, Joe?

Diogen.

I wonder how much it will cost $ony to replace all the PS3's that the latest fireware killed.

I wonder how much it will cost $ony to replace all the PS3's that the latest fireware killed.

Yeah saw that 2.4 was messing machines up. Got to see the totals though. Updates are sometimes bad things. :(

Joe My gripe with you is every time you had a chance you stuck it to Toshiba about losing so much money you never passed it up. Now that the worst kept secret in the format war comes to light(not 900 million loss like Toshiba but a 3 billion loss for $ony)and not a word from you????