Sony and Toshiba entering a deal?

Yet, the real world, real time trend, as evidenced by sales rankings at Amazon, show the current trend moving towards HD-DVD HW. Hmmm.

As for SW, there are 3 HD_DVD titles and 3 BD titles in the top 100 bestselling DVD list. No clear trend there.

Amazon is one company Gary. Just one of hundreds selling BD and HD-DVD standalones. And I bet they don't sell the most of either formats' standalones. Maybe more like 5%. But you keep watching those 'real world numbers' at Amazon and keep pulling the wool over your eyes on the real world numbers from NPD.

It just amazes me, you ask for facts, then when shown facts you pull out AMAZON like they are the number one retailer in the world and ignore what is in front of you. Well, good luck with that.

Yes. One. The biggest one.

I'm not pulling the wool over anybody's eyes. I'm just trying to provide a little balance and common sense, as I am not some fanboy with a creepy emotional attachment to one format or the other. (Or, one satellite service, or brand of car, or brand of anything. They are just corporate brands.)

The whole pissing contest is stupid. WTF cares? We'll know which way the trend is going after the holiday season. Until then, everybody is just jerking off. Relax. Watch some BD movies. I'll watch some HDDVD movies, and let's all check back in 3 months.

I am with Gary, I can't believe the emotional attachment to DVD players:confused: reminds of 360 vs PS3, 4:3 vs 16:9 or AMD vs Intel:rolleyes:

I am with Gary, I can't believe the emotional attachment to DVD players:confused: reminds of 360 vs PS3, 4:3 vs 16:9 or AMD vs Intel:rolleyes:

Oh it's on!

360 > PS3 (for the next year or two)
16:9 > 4:3 (always)
Intel > AMD (for now, likely ever with this lead)
NVidia > ATI (for now, likely ever with this lead)
Pizza Hut > Little Ceasers
Little Caesars > Pizza Hut (when you're on a budget)
Plastic > Paper (it has handles, sorry environment)
Gore > Bush
Clinton > daddy Bush

Oh it's on!

360 > PS3 (for the next year or two)
16:9 > 4:3 (always)
Intel > AMD (for now, likely ever with this lead)
NVidia > ATI (for now, likely ever with this lead)
Pizza Hut > Little Ceasers
Little Caesars > Pizza Hut (when you're on a budget)
Plastic > Paper (it has handles, sorry environment)
Gore > Bush
Clinton > daddy Bush
O h I forgot one Ditka vs God

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/90/90jsuperfans.phtml

Gary, the trend is towards BD not HD-DVD. In January HD-DVD held 73% of the standalones on the market. Today that number is DOWN to 58%. That is going in the wrong direction. NPD has reported that the sales of standalones slightly favor BD the last nine weeks in standalones over HD-DVD. That is going in the wrong direction.

Yes, you are right, HD-DVD still holds a 58% share of the market. If the market trends continue that 58% share could be down to 50% by the end of the year. From January to September the number has gone from 73% to 58% -- that is a 15% loss of the lead over BD. That was just 7 months. If BD continues their success (and they might not -- who knows) that would put HD-DVD with just a slight lead of around 51% or 52% by January of 2008. If BD succeeds and passes HD-DVD in percentage of standalones before January 2008 that will make the CES '08 show real interesting.

Balance is one thing, misrepresenting the numbers is something else.

The new Blu-ray players coming out from several different manufacturers will likely help BD standalone player sales.

The upcoming, cheaper, 40GB PS3 will likely help PS3 sales and BD title sales.

The large number of Blu-ray titles coming out in the 4th quarter will likely boost Blu-ray sales of both movies and players. Perhaps moreso than what HD DVD can expect- depends upon who you think is getting better titles on the street in the 4th quarter.

Looks like the percentages will move more in Blu-ray's favor during Q4.

But you never know, Toshiba could pull another rabbit out of a hat. Or Sony, who seems to have run out of feet, could find another one to shoot itself in.

Looks like the percentages will move more in Blu-ray's favor during Q4.

But you never know, Toshiba could pull another rabbit out of a hat. Or Sony, who seems to have run out of feet, could find another one to shoot itself in.
Exactly. to be obsessing about such BS at this point is childish and stupid. It can go either way. That is the only point I ever try to make. There is no clear leader right now. Period.

We can root for one side, if we have a financial investment in HW and SW. But, we can also look at it logically, and not get emotionally attached to something as undeserving of our emotions and loyalty as an electronic industry standard. Jeez.

Getting caught up in all of the minutiae, when there won't be an truly obvious trend in either direction until after the holiday season, is just mental masturbation.

Gary, the trend is towards BD not HD-DVD.

blah blah. yadda yadda.

Balance is one thing, misrepresenting the numbers is something else.
OK. Well. You better get back to your BD player. She misses you. And, I can tell how much you love her. But, don't forget to wipe your drool off of her. The enzymes in your saliva can damage her delicate finish.

I'll let you two be alone now.

I've gotta get back to thinking about stuff that matters.

Gary, if this stuff doesn't matter to you -- why are you posting?:confused:

Then you must have broke your mirror! :)

I think this needs to be JoeSP's Avitar :D

also i think every time JoeSP types BD he get a kickback from Sony or something

blu-ray.jpg

Then you must have broke your mirror! :)
"Rubber and glue"? What's next, "sticks and stones"? That just goes to show how childish this format war is.

Another example is the the user reviews for the not-yet-released Star Trek Original Series HDDVD boxed set. Nobody is reviewing the actual product, obviously, as it hasn't come out yet. They're all talking about the stupid format.

That is idiocy. Just as obsessing with every little industry tid-bit that might somehow prove one format is beating the other, as if it is somehow a reflection of oneself or one's family, is idiocy.

Come Gary, lighten up. This stupid format war is not life or death. A little brevity is needed from time to time.

I do agree that some of this gets very heated ( an I know at times I can fan those flames) but in the end we all want the same thing. A great high def format for the masses that is both mature and affordable and is done right. If anything , this 'war' between co-conspirators Toshiba and Sony (They work together on more projects then they don't) has brought prices down, improved players and specs and improved movie reproduction in HD. This is a good thing for all of us.

Now if they can just make a reasonably priced dual format player that does everything for around $500 we would really be talking then, huh?@party

I think this needs to be JoeSP's Avitar :D

also i think every time JoeSP types BD he get a kickback from Sony or something

View attachment 19285

I'm jonesing for one of those new 70" Samsung LCDs! How about calling Sony and asking why they are holding up my checks!:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)