Compare the Toshiba and Sony Ads for HiDef

OK, I' format nutural but the PS3 ad blows away the Toshiba. The name of the game is content and the Toshiba ad shows three movies with a bunch of verbage. The PS3 ad shows 7 different movies with a rocking musical track, plus the swiss army knife PS3 at the beginning and the end.

It is a cool ad, the song they use helps generate excitement during the ad, and your right they were able to highlight a lot of movies in the short amount of time in the ad. I also think the clips they selected were amazing, a lot of energy in that ad.

The PS3 ad shows 7 different movies with a rocking musical track, plus the swiss army knife PS3 at the beginning and the end.
I still maintain that this association of the PS3 with being a Blu-Ray player is going to negatively impact its perception as a gaming console.

The PS3 ad is definitely targetted to those who would be more inclined to buy a gaming machine, whereas the Toshiba is targetting a more mainstream (both M and F) consumer under 35. Anyone unaware of the format war, however, would not realize that the kick-ass content featured in the PS3 ad would not be available to those buying the HD DVD player.

With that said, if Toshiba ups its advertising of HD DVD, it will only ultimately help support the interests of BD, the eventual winner of the format war, by helping to raise awareness of HDM in the long run (albeit more confusion in the short).

Anyone unaware of the format war, however, would not realize that the kick-ass content featured in the PS3 ad would not be available to those buying the HD DVD player.
At least one of those movies, 300, is available in an exclusive enhanced version for HD DVD. Bourne is available in all formats.

I've always liked the PS3 ad.

Ive not seen any other BD ads on tv.

And as stated in the other thread, the HD-DVD ad from last night is a complete :sleeo

The new PS3 stuff is great, most anything is superior to their first 9 months or so of 'look at the black box floating/burnnig/melting/etc in a white room along with 0-3 seconds of unmodified/obstructed gameplay footage.

The HDDVD ad comes across as a late night infomercial :(

Both formats need more ads. People need to know about these formats, not just "us", if we're going to get a steady flow of titles, from either Blu or Red.

At least one of those movies, 300, is available in an exclusive enhanced version for HD DVD. Bourne is available in all formats.

Dude, the Bourne trilogy was never available on Blu-Ray just like Pirates of the Caribbean was never available on HD DVD.

Huh? How so?

Poor library of games, no rumble controllers, mandatory accessory purchases (HDMI), base model comes with a movie and most retailers pair it with a remote it seems. Worst management of a brand in the history of gaming with the way pieces were omitted from the get-go, and then lopped off, some out of almost spite (backwards compatibility).... and finally, 'Home' which is expected to be in Beta for a year, is not in an open beta yet, and is more of a Sims online than any kind of Live! type experience.

Since launch, everything with the PS3 is 'coming soon'. When will this be a complete package, 2009? A year or two from the next Xbox?

And then personally, only 3-4 games I'd probably be interested in purchasing after 15(?) months on the market.

I will own one, but likely not before a nice gaming-based deal and/or another $100 off.

Poor library of games, no rumble controllers, mandatory accessory purchases (HDMI), base model comes with a movie and most retailers pair it with a remote it seems. .
Several of these points are silly at best and the same thing could be said of the 360 when it comes to stuff you have to buy to be comparable. The rumble controllers are out now if I am not mistaken, and I sure would hate to buy an extra HDMI cable from monoprice....what are they running now? 5-6 bucks?. The game library has been growing and will continue to grow. Its a trend that every console goes through to a n extent.

Several of these points are silly at best and the same thing could be said of the 360 when it comes to stuff you have to buy to be comparable.

Not even comparable. Now that I've gotten into gaming late in life after buying a PS3, and I look at a 360 to play some of their exclusives, I stop myself when I realize I'll have to spend at least another $179 to play HDM and $100 for wireless network capabilities... For that amount of money I could just upgrade my desktop PC and still have some left over to buy games!

Not even comparable. Now that I've gotten into gaming late in life after buying a PS3, and I look at a 360 to play some of their exclusives, I stop myself when I realize I'll have to spend at least another $179 to play HDM and $100 for wireless network capabilities... For that amount of money I could just upgrade my desktop PC and still have some left over to buy games!
I know, I have both. I have paid MORE to get the 360 to the same level of specs that the ps3 came with, Wireless, HD movie capable, ect. Not to mention mine does not have an HDMI out port. Dont take this as a bash of the 360, I enjoy it just as much as any console I have ever had.
I will still give the 360 the edge on games at this point, no doubt about that, but I do it understanding that it came to market first.

I am not trying to be comparable, I am trying to make it make sense as a video gaming console.

'HD is in their DNA' but the PS3 comes with... composite cables? These are the same cables that came with the SNES I think, no? DS3s are available... in Japan. No announced release date for the US yet. MonoPrice.com for those people familiar with their online resources (not as many people as we'd suspect hope) about such things is only a small consolation.

My point of even posting in this thread though, it's good that they're focusing on what the PS3 is good at - playing movies. Their marketing does a good job on everything else too now, hopefully the product development follows suit.

It would be stupid to buy an addon for a 360 with standalone prices being where they are at. The wireless stuff is a good point, but anyone with a decent home theater setup these days should have a wireless access point near/at it anyways with the way everything is connecting these days.

Not to mention mine does not have an HDMI out port.
Guessing your TV doesn't have VGA as well? If not what are you missing (are there any current limitations to that setup)? All new models of the 360 have had an HDMI port added. It's a shame that I'd have to buy a PS2 now to get the specs out of the PS3 that I expected it to have when I did finally buy one.

DS3s are available... in Japan. No announced release date for the US yet. MonoPrice.com for those people familiar with their online resources (not as many people as we'd suspect hope) about such things is only a small consolation.

Ok, I was not sure if it was available here yet or not. I am reading now possible spring of this year.

Im sure there are MANY people that arent familiar with monoprice, I wasnt until i read about it here or on DBS(i forget) the point was that this is not the HUGE purchase (or downside) that it seemed you were trying to make it. They (HDMI cables ) are available dirt cheap. I will concede that i am a little puzzled why it was not included when it seems most everything else was though.

Ok, I was not sure if it was available here yet or not. I am reading now possible spring of this year.

Im sure there are MANY people that arent familiar with monoprice, I wasnt until i read about it here or on DBS(i forget) the point was that this is not the HUGE purchase (or downside) that it seemed you were trying to make it. They (HDMI cables ) are available dirt cheap. I will concede that i am a little puzzled why it was not included when it seems most everything else was though.

I agree. And I promise that how much I dislike or hate Sony I am trying not to sensationalize my posts (hard to do when the topic makes you froth at the mouth, etc). Some of these decisions truly puzzle me... the HDMI thing, backward compatability... including Spider-Man instead of a game. Shows their push to make it a BD player since it was less expensive to push it as a gaming machine (ie make a $399 gamers bundle to go with the Spidey bundle). Though, $40 MSRP on Spidey, so not much of a 'loss' if they did one with Motorstorm too, aside from making it a less attractive bundle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)