One Console World

Heavie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Maryland
The Vice President of EA, Gerhard Florin believes that there should be one standard gaming platform, while typical consumers might argue that the competition is healthy, because it forces developers to be innovative and original. Both arguments have merit, but when all is said and done, do gamers want a one console world?

There's been a lot of talk about a "one-console future" lately from the likes of EA exec Gerhard Florin and Silicon Knights President Denis Dyack. In this special, Ben Hoyt, a producer at game tools company Emergent, squares off with Dyack.

Game Features - GameDaily - The One-Console Future Debate Continues

Personaly, I think EA is getting to big. They seem to buy up a lot smaller developing company. Having the idea to have one console, might mean there trying to release a console of there own.

Ya, he says that cause having to pick and choose where you develop is a crapshoot sometimes, and multiple iterations for different platforms is causing the company to flounder.

It won't come to bankruptcy or anything, but huge cuts are being made to stop their losses.

The players cant even decide on a hd disc to put movies on, there won't be a consensus 'one console' world, even if all EA games were exclusive to it. The company would go out of business before people abandoned the Xbox AND PS3 brands. Only way I see it coming even close to happening is for EA to pick a horse, and not release any games for the competitior. Maybe that's what they're looking to do? They wouldn't choose the Wii IMO, their core customer isn't a waggler, they're a Madden player, a WW2 gamer, on traditional boxes.

I agree with you. The thing that piss me off is EA is complaining about having the same game on every system and losing money on system that's not selling the same amount of games on each system. Far as sport games you have to, but all the other none sport game titles don't have to be on every system. EA make games on every platform to chase fan boy system chose.

One example not to have one console. EA brought the rights to NFL license. Madden is good, but there might be a game developer that might make a football game twice is better than madden. Chances are that football game will lose some it's charm if it don't have anything to do with NFL. How many Canadian football games is on the shelf? None, because developer knows NFL is where is at.

I for one love choices and that's how I spend my money.