One-for-All Universal Remote

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

logixrat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
Hey all, I just subscribed to DirecTV and I am very pleased with everything thus far. The only thing I am trying to do is get my satellite receiver to work with my universal remote where I have all my other components programmed.

My exact remote is a One-for-All URC-6131nB00

http://www.ofausa.com/remote.php?type=URC6131n

I am having a hard time finding a code to make my receiver (DirecTV D11 I believe) work. Can someone please point me in the right direction? I am not looking to buy another remote if possible, and I definitely do not want to buy a high dollar remote.

This Remote is UPGRADEABLE. Please CONTACT 330-405-8615 To get your remote reprogrammed for new devices and brands.

Hi logixrat,

Have you tried searching for the code?

On that page you linked to above they have a link to the owners manual that describes how to search for a code. It's on page 9-10. Bottom right hand side of page 9.

I remember having the same problem a few years back with a I believe a sony universal remote that allowed the search feature, and to my surprise the component worked with different manufacturer's remote codes.

The procedure involves pressing the component button plus the power button alternately until the device comes on.

Even when it works though, frequently not all of the component's feature sets are supported in a lot of cases. I recall I couldn't switch to aux video, however; everything else worked out fine. So if you give this a try and it works to turn off the device make sure you give all the buttons a workover to see what you're dealing with.

I still have my original manual, and yes, I also compared to the online codes for my remote as well. They had a few new ones which were unrecognized by my remote. Much to my disliking I actually entered every manufacturer code provided for a satellite receiver, none of which worked. I have also done the "search code" feature or whatever it's called where switch between power & the sat/cab button. I did that for a solid 10 minutes to no avail either.

I think dragon002 may be onto something about the upgradeable part. I was reading closer and it does say my remote is upgradeable, and further more that I guess they can "capture" the code needed to make a device work that was not entered in the remote at the time of manufacture and make it all work. It says to call the number that dragon002 listed and they would walk you through it.

I am going to take them up on the offer. I like my remote rather well. It gives me 90%+ functionality of all my other devices. I need to find a way to make it work with the satellite receiver too. Plus I'm use to the layout and I like the thinness of the unit. I found it on Buy.com a few months back for $5 or $6 with free shipping. Not a bad deal.

logixrat, I had the same remote and mine would not control a LG HDTV OTA receiver. I called their customer service and yes, it is upgradeable, however the shipping was more than the cost of the remote so I gave up on that route.

You should not have had to return a unit to them to swap out...
Upgradeable means that you call them up on the phone and they send a signal through the phone to your remote that you hold up to the earpiece of the phone. This is what they did to my 8910 to get my Dish pvr to work.

There is no code, the code needed is SAT 1377. Which can only be added by sending the remote to OH. You will not get the same remote back, cost is only shipping there, turnaround time is a week.

The only OFA remote with code 1377 preset is the 6-in-1 urc-6960 Kameleon.

Hmmm...I didn't see the 1377 code present in the list of codes shown on the website for the 6960. I would find it odd they couldn't upgrade the code to work, since it states the remote is upgradeable. And out of the millions of D* subscribers I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants a cheap remote to work with their unit. It seems like there should be a solution.

I have not been able to contact customer support yet, due to M-F 9 to 5:30pm east coast hours operation. I'm central and work M-F during those times. :(

I had code SAT 1377 added via mail to the OFA urc-6131, 8810w, and 10820. Older remotes like the 6011, 6012 or 8012 aren't be upgraded anymore, they're being replaced by remotes like the 8820. They're running out of pre-modified remotes.

I have the urc-6960, and code 1377 is in it. it isn't in the similar numbered 6690 Hybrid kameleon.

Remotes like the urc-8910, 9910, 9960,and 9964 are phone upgradeable.

newyawker

I have a URC9910 that I have upgraded at home. You see, you don't necessarily need to send the remote back. Check out the forum, below. You have to join but it is free. You can get all of the information to build (or buy) a simple cable that interfaces your PC to the remote (there is a JP1 connector in the battery compartment of most One-for-All remotes). People have written files for many pieces of equipment that are not in stock remotes. There is a program called IR.EXE that can also be downloaded that enables you to upload these equipment specific files to the remote. Anyway, there is all of the info you need on this site. You should spend some time looking through the info that is there. Look for a file for your equipment. Way too much for me to explain everything here. Good luck.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/

I also have the 8910, just recently bought it at Amazon for under $25. It didn't come with the codes for the H20, but it was easily upgraded via phone. When you connect with customer service, you just hold the remote up to the phone, and they send the codes. The process sounds like an fax machine or modem connecting.

I originally tried one of the Harmony remotes, and while it did work for the H20, it didn't work for my audio receiver, and Harmony couldn't/wouldn't help me. So I sent it back, and bought the 8910. Considering the price and easy upgrade process, I couldn't be happier.

newyawker said:
I have a URC9910 that I have upgraded at home. You see, you don't necessarily need to send the remote back. Check out the forum, below. You have to join but it is free. You can get all of the information to build (or buy) a simple cable that interfaces your PC to the remote (there is a JP1 connector in the battery compartment of most One-for-All remotes). People have written files for many pieces of equipment that are not in stock remotes. There is a program called IR.EXE that can also be downloaded that enables you to upload these equipment specific files to the remote. Anyway, there is all of the info you need on this site. You should spend some time looking through the info that is there. Look for a file for your equipment. Way too much for me to explain everything here. Good luck.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/

NewYawker, thanks for the info and the link. My URC6012 remote did not have the JP1 connector but my URC8810 Did. I read the tutorial, made a connector cable, and downloaded the software.

I WAS able to add the H20 funtions to my remote in discrete mode and Home Theater mode too. I also found the codes for a couple of other components I had and was able to make them work too.

Thanks again for the info. I had a lot of fun making this work.

-Bobarino-

You rock newyawker! That is probably the best link I have been given in a long time. I have signed up and briefly explored the site. I plan on sending my remote back to OFA for the free upgrade so I can run my D11 reciever. My understanding is during this "upgrade" period for my specific remote, they will also include a memory chip and special JP1 plug so I can make my own cable and access the codes via software as well.

Very, very cool. Thanks again for sharing! :)

Plywodstatebum said:
I have a Harmony 659 remote for 50 bucks plus shipping about 5 bucks in the US it will run anything.

Will it run a digital projector?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)