One tuner HD DVR?

AT&TDishman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Indianapolis
Why doesn't E* offer a one tuner HD DVR with OTA, or do they and I just can't find it? If not, why not? If I stay with E* after 28 September I would like an HD DVR to replace my 211, but do not want to pay the extra fee for the 2nd tuner.

The 622/722 will likely be your only option...there was going to be a 612, which was a single-tuner version of the 622, but that appears to have fallen off the planet or something. No mention of it in a long time. I had been looking at getting one of these when it came out, too...but apparently I was one fo the few interested. Do a search on the 612 and you'll find some other discussions on it.

Why doesn't E* offer a one tuner HD DVR with OTA, or do they and I just can't find it? If not, why not? If I stay with E* after 28 September I would like an HD DVR to replace my 211, but do not want to pay the extra fee for the 2nd tuner.
You don't pay for an extra tuner!! Just per receiver. Get a 622 and be happy.

Maybe if Dish releases the DVR software for the ViP211, that would fit your requirements?

The cost/benefit of a one tuner HDDVR just isn't there. You lose PIP, you lose ability to record two sat channels at the same time.

It would not be that much cheaper than the 622.

They should instead go the other way and have 2 OTA tuners and 2 or 3 sat tuners with a gonzo big hard drive or two.

I have a 508PVR. It's grandfathered. No DVR fee and no second receiver fee or whatever it's called. I own it. It's a single tuner DVR and I would LOVE to have another, but in HD version. They tried to get me to turn it in when I upgraded and keep the 625 for the bedroom. I said, "Will you then tack on another DVR fee?" and they said, "yes", so I said, "no thanks".

We *do* use the DVR in the bedroom, but not the same way as the one in the living room. We use it for.... "I think I'll record this because I am almost certainly going to fall asleep". That's all. That's the extent of the DVR use. Oh... wait... we live close to Niagara Falls air base. If one of the C-130s does a low pass and turns over our house, sometimes we like to be able to skip back if it was during a quiet part of a program so we can see what we missed.

I don't need a 622 for that. I don't need a 622 for the bedroom. I need a single tuner HD DVR that works the same way as my 508. Situational? Maybe. But I'm betting I'm not alone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)