Online List of Channels Expiring?

sarah1976

Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
New York
Hi,

Do either DISH or DirecTV post a list of networks whose agreements are expiring online? I would like to be able to tell which channels I might lose if I choose one or the other.

Thanks!

Hi,

Do either DISH or DirecTV post a list of networks whose agreements are expiring online? I would like to be able to tell which channels I might lose if I choose one or the other.

Thanks!

I could be wrong, but I do not think that information is given to the general public.

Thats only if required by your states public utility commission as part of their franchise agreement.

Satellite is not subject to that nor are cable companies in most areas.

But do you think "Both companies (DISH & MSG) need each other"

At this point I'm starting to wonder!
No I dont think they do. Most of the people who are NY sports fans already have DIRECTV since DISH does not carry YES.

I dont think NY is an important market for DISH. (My opinion of course)

But do you think "Both companies (DISH & MSG) need each other"
Given that MSG is a regional network, they want carriage on Dish much more than Dish wants them. If they're broadcast nationally, that's viewers that MSG would never get otherwise.

Just like the Big 10 Network, people in the midwest would like it, but people in the greater NY area probably don't care (yeah, I know some people from midwest or Big 10 schools might live in area and like the channel). Same applies to MSG outside of greater NY.

No I dont think they do. Most of the people who are NY sports fans already have DIRECTV since DISH does not carry YES.

I dont think NY is an important market for DISH. (My opinion of course)

Scott,

There are many people in NY and Western NY that could care about baseball at all, and or hate the NY Yankees entirely, I'm one of them. I'm a huge Hockey fan, and the Buffalo Sabres are the team I root for.

Most Buffalo Sabres fans are diehards' and I refuse to have a TV service that will not supply me with access to these games. When the Sabres games air, the local ratings (Buffalo/ Rochester) will eclipse those of almost any cable network and can beat Network TV as well. Dish could very well lose 20-30 percent of Dish Network subscribers in Western NY over this issue.

I already have a DirecTV installation scheduled over this, I won't cancel my Dish service right away, but its days are numbered in my home without Sabres Hockey. I don't mind having both services in my Home for the time being.

I love Dish's HD DVR and I like Dish's extra HD channels, although not enough to compensate for no Sabres games. The bonus is I will get more NHL games from MSG and MSG + (Dish Blacks out all NJ Devils, and Islanders games to me) as well as all of them will be in HD.

Are you listening DISH, I believe it falls on Deaf ears at Dish.

John

But nobody need disney? Or is it because we still have the SD feeds and ESPN HD that its no big deal to them right now?

The flap over the Disney/ABC/ESPN deal died down pretty quickly and never really rose to the level I thought it might. Assuming that means it isn't a big deal to the majority of Dish subscribers, I expect them to not return unless Disney et. al. reduce their demands.

The fact that providers are not required to publish information about the expiration of carriage agreements does a disservice to the customer. It seems like a lot of the disatisfaction about the current situation surrounds the loss of the RSNs so I will use them as an example. If somebody who is a big college football fan signed up for the ESPN Gameplan to augment all the games they got on the other channels, including the RSNs and then lost those channels as has happened, then they are stuck with Dish for the season unless they want to switch to DirecTV and order the package again and who wants to pay for the same thing twice. It would be helpful to have a reference that you could turn to and see whether your viewing plans for the season could be affected by a contract disagreement. I certainly would like to know going into a big sporting event like the Olympics or World Cup that my providers deals with those broadcasting those events are not at a point where an interruption of the broadcasts is possible.

The fact that providers are not required to publish information about the expiration of carriage agreements does a disservice to the customer.
Maybe because it's just TV... Life can go on, after all. Only reason people are familiar with these are because the cablecos were often (somewhat) regulated by the cities or areas they operated in, i.e. the gov't got involved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)