Only a few satellites coming through

Status
Please reply by conversation.

penguinsix

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
I've resigned myself that I have to go and start over on my install, as I seem to only be receiving a few satellites within a small wedge of the 'arc' of satellites (mostly South). I'm having no luck with PAS9 for example, or Galaxy 13/Horizons1 (though I gather that is pretty far to the West Coast).

So, in a situation when I'm only getting part of the arc, where should I start in my troubleshooting--elevation or plumbness of the pipe?

Pole! Make sure to take into account the weight of the dish / motor and all as it will pull everything forward. Spend as much time as it takes to get it plumb and level, you need to use a bubble level!

I leveled it several times with a bubble level, but suspected there was some shifting.

I also note that my dish has about 5 mm of play with some screws which I suspect are not entirely tight. Should the dish be "rigid" to the human touch--i.e. not shift at all with a little pressure?

There will be some slight flex, but all bolts should be tight. Good luck!

The pole itself is dead on plumb, but I suspect the problem might be in the fact I connected the brackets a bit too low, down by where the pipe begins its bend. I'll try tweaking that tomorrow to see if it improves reception.

Status
Please reply by conversation.