"Only one satellite connected"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Phils

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Paradise, CA
I'm using a 501 receiver for my RV. I bought a new Dish 500 Twin LNB dish from an authorized dealer (the same one I got my first Dish equipment from over a decade ago). I can only pick up one bird (119). I haven't tried picking up 110 by itself because trees limited my view of the sky. (I was able to pick up 129 by mistake, but got no channels).

I've tried re-aiming & check switch, over and over again. It always says "only one satellite connected". When I hook the receiver up to our roof mounted dish and run check switch, it's fine and picks up both 119 and 110.

This Twin LNB doesn't need any switch installed according to my original installation manual for the 501 dish. Is this a defective LNB or is there something I'm missing? There are three connections on the LNB. I've connected the coax to the left-hand connector of the pair, leaving the single right connection and the other left connection empty.

My plan this weekend is to call Tech Support (when I can devote at least an hour to someone in India giving me instructions and trying to diagnose my problem). I have DHPP so if it's bad I expect they'll send a new one. Or will they want me to take a day off of work and wait for a tech to come by?

Does anyone have suggestions?

Phil

Your dish may be a pointed a little low and too far to the west. To check this go to the signal strength screen and lock on to 119 sat. Then cover only the 119 side of the LNB. If the signal is still on the screen then it is coming in on the wrong side of the LNB.
If you are picking up the 129 it is definitely pointed too low and to the west.
Check and make sure that the mast is level and the settings on the dish are correct for the zip code you are in.

Phils said:
I'm using a 501 receiver for my RV. I bought a new Dish 500 Twin LNB dish from an authorized dealer (the same one I got my first Dish equipment from over a decade ago). I can only pick up one bird (119). I haven't tried picking up 110 by itself because trees limited my view of the sky. (I was able to pick up 129 by mistake, but got no channels).

I've tried re-aiming & check switch, over and over again. It always says "only one satellite connected". When I hook the receiver up to our roof mounted dish and run check switch, it's fine and picks up both 119 and 110.

This Twin LNB doesn't need any switch installed according to my original installation manual for the 501 dish. Is this a defective LNB or is there something I'm missing? There are three connections on the LNB. I've connected the coax to the left-hand connector of the pair, leaving the single right connection and the other left connection empty.

My plan this weekend is to call Tech Support (when I can devote at least an hour to someone in India giving me instructions and trying to diagnose my problem). I have DHPP so if it's bad I expect they'll send a new one. Or will they want me to take a day off of work and wait for a tech to come by?

Does anyone have suggestions?

Phil

Do it on your day off so you dont have to take off work.

I'd like to ask a question about the SW 21 switch and what it does, because I'm questioning my set up. Is the SW21 used for a DVR or some improved signal strenght? I have not used one for the past two years but with last weeks storm I'm questioning my set up because of intermittent loss of signal. I know that my set up is the same as Phils but I only have the 119 wired up.
Gary

The SW21 is a switch, plain and simple. It has nothing to do with signal strength, DVRs, or HD/SD channels. It can be controlled by any Dish receiver, and it can send either polarization from two different satellites to the receiver. The first "2" is the number of inputs, and the last "1" is the number of outputs. If you have only a single satellite LNB and dish, then there is no need for an SW21.

Thanks, I do have a dual LNB 500 dish but only one LNB is connected by wire. I also only get signal on one satellite as Phils mentioned, should I be using a sw21 switch?

Thanks, I do have a dual LNB 500 dish but only one LNB is connected by wire. I also only get signal on one satellite as Phils mentioned, should I be using a sw21 switch?
If you really have two legacy dual LNBs attached to the Y joke of a Dish 500, then the answer is, "Yes, you need to use the SW21". If instead you really meant to say that you have a legacy twin LNB, then the answer is, "No, the twin already has a built-in switch." All clear now? ;)

I haven't tried picking up 110 by itself because trees limited my view of the sky.
If you can't see 110W, I'm pretty sure you're dead in the water.

If the dish were truly new, it would have either a DP Twin or DPP Twin on it and no additional switchgear would be required. If it is new old stock, you're going to have to look and see if there is any labeling on the LNB assembly shell.

Thanks all. The blocked view of 110 was only at the place we were camping earlier this month. I set it all up at home and, as suggested, it only took some better aiming to pick them both up.

What was mixing me up was the message "only one satellite connected" which I [incorrectly] took to mean only one LNB signal was connected.

Phil

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts