Only ONE Streaming Channel at a time?

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
If I am viewing a steaming channel such as one of the HBO's at 300+ range or BNC at 361 or Stadium at 290-35, if another person at either a Joey or H3 attempt to tune to the same or different streaming channel on the same H3 network, a pop-up message stating that I have exceeded my bandwidth and that channel will not be displayed. This happens even if a Premium channel like one of the HBO's is NOT involved, or, in other words, if I try to view Stadium at the H3, and I try to view BNC at another room on a Joey, only the one currently viewed is allowed to be streamed viewed. I should add that I have all my H3's and Joeys connected via Ethernet (the Joeys show Ethernet connection while the H3 displays MoCA although I have both Bridging and Limit Frequency Scan OFF and in the past this had always displayed as "Ethernet" connection not "MoCA" but recently is displays as "MoCA". Of course, on the H3 in Network Details when I scroll down to MoCA it shows as FAILED as it SHOULD and had in the past. Changing from Top to Bottom Ethernet connection on the H3 makes no difference. Also, I get 200Mbps down at virtually all times of the day, and we are NOT streaming ANY other content at the time we want to watch two separate or same Streaming channels on Dish, so the ISP can easily handle the Dish streams--and when not watching Dish, we have streamed multiple HD services at once, and 200Mbps is PLENTY for multiple HD streams, and my router is a very capable GB router that can handle all that traffic with ease and efficiency and no hiccups. Again, the Dish H3 and Joeys are all wired with Ethernet going to their own slots on the switches and the H3 and ALL the Joeys have the active flashing lights at the Ethernet jack that indicates no bridging or shared connection (If I am correcdt about that,), but rather its own connections to the internet.

So, the question is this: Are we all limited to streaming only ONE channel per H3 network? Two different people can NOT view two streaming channels (even if they are the same channel) in two different rooms at the same time? Or is there something up with my system. I have not tested this with the other H3 network in our household.

It would seem REALLY stupid if it is an arbitrary limitation that only ONE streaming channel may be viewed at only one location/room at any one time considering Dish is moving more towards streaming channels, and especially with the new HBO/Cinemax streaming channels. Two different people in two different rooms were trying to watch two different HBO channel streams and could NOT do it. This GREATLY erodes the value of subscribing to HBO/Cinemax. Or is this perhaps an attempt to prevent overwhelming the MoCA bandwidth, but the H3 has MoCA 2.0, right, which is like a full 1GB of bandwidth, so this should not be a problem even when adding the MoCA bandwidth necessary for the H3 to stream an old fashioned linear channel to a Joey, and in our situation the H3 would only have to stream ONE streaming channel to me at the H3 and ONLY ONE OTHER streaming channel to the Joey--still plenty of MoCA bandwidth to do this. We were NOT overburdening the MoCA bandwidth, NO WAY!

I am sure someone out there has run into this and has the answer. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: charlesrshell
If I am viewing a steaming channel such as one of the HBO's at 300+ range or BNC at 361 or Stadium at 290-35, if another person at either a Joey or H3 attempt to tune to the same or different streaming channel on the same H3 network, a pop-up message stating that I have exceeded my bandwidth and that channel will not be displayed. This happens even if a Premium channel like one of the HBO's is NOT involved, or, in other words, if I try to view Stadium at the H3, and I try to view BNC at another room on a Joey, only the one currently viewed is allowed to be streamed viewed. I should add that I have all my H3's and Joeys connected via Ethernet (the Joeys show Ethernet connection while the H3 displays MoCA although I have both Bridging and Limit Frequency Scan OFF and in the past this had always displayed as "Ethernet" connection not "MoCA" but recently is displays as "MoCA". Of course, on the H3 in Network Details when I scroll down to MoCA it shows as FAILED as it SHOULD and had in the past. Changing from Top to Bottom Ethernet connection on the H3 makes no difference. Also, I get 200Mbps down at virtually all times of the day, and we are NOT streaming ANY other content at the time we want to watch two separate or same Streaming channels on Dish, so the ISP can easily handle the Dish streams--and when not watching Dish, we have streamed multiple HD services at once, and 200Mbps is PLENTY for multiple HD streams, and my router is a very capable GB router that can handle all that traffic with ease and efficiency and no hiccups. Again, the Dish H3 and Joeys are all wired with Ethernet going to their own slots on the switches and the H3 and ALL the Joeys have the active flashing lights at the Ethernet jack that indicates no bridging or shared connection (If I am correcdt about that,), but rather its own connections to the internet.

So, the question is this: Are we all limited to streaming only ONE channel per H3 network? Two different people can NOT view two streaming channels (even if they are the same channel) in two different rooms at the same time? Or is there something up with my system. I have not tested this with the other H3 network in our household.

It would seem REALLY stupid if it is an arbitrary limitation that only ONE streaming channel may be viewed at only one location/room at any one time considering Dish is moving more towards streaming channels, and especially with the new HBO/Cinemax streaming channels. Two different people in two different rooms were trying to watch two different HBO channel streams and could NOT do it. This GREATLY erodes the value of subscribing to HBO/Cinemax. Or is this perhaps an attempt to prevent overwhelming the MoCA bandwidth, but the H3 has MoCA 2.0, right, which is like a full 1GB of bandwidth, so this should not be a problem even when adding the MoCA bandwidth necessary for the H3 to stream an old fashioned linear channel to a Joey, and in our situation the H3 would only have to stream ONE streaming channel to me at the H3 and ONLY ONE OTHER streaming channel to the Joey--still plenty of MoCA bandwidth to do this. We were NOT overburdening the MoCA bandwidth, NO WAY!

I am sure someone out there has run into this and has the answer. Thanks in advance.
I appreciate this opportunity.

I do not use Moca. The only coax in my setup is from the dish to the H3. I am on Ethernet Top to the rest of my system and it works flawlessly. It goes to a GB switch, back a 16 port GB switch which from there distributes to 4 additional GB switches. That would be from the H3 to the 16 port switch, to 2 J3's, a 4k Joey, and a wireless Joey.

I tuned into channel 361on the H3 and then went to one of the Joey 3 receivers and tried to tune into channel 290-35. I was not permitted to view 290-35 because it said I had reached my streaming limit and identified the H3 as also currently streaming.

This is kind of puzzling because, like you said, Dish is adding streaming channels. Hopefully this will be fixed.

Remember the Joey's are just basically dumb terminals. Everything is processed on the Hopper, and the Joey just displays what is sent to it.

With that said I have heard of plans to raise that limit of streams at the same time, but don't know when its going to be released.
I don't know of any streaming boxes that can be connected to multiple tvs

Thanks to everyone's contribution. It caused me to re-think this and I got some good clues from all the postings. OK, viewing everyone's response, it seems like at this time it is possible for Dish to support only ONE channel streaming at any one time. I have not tried watching one streaming channel AND watching streaming On Demand, so I don't know if that works.

The limit of one live stream at one time makes sense in that when Dish integrated internet access it was for downloads of programming in Ques, and later the ability to stream a channel live. Perhaps this is a hardware/software issue. Perhaps the forthcoming new Dish device/accessory is what can make streaming multiple live channel possible.
Remember the Joey's are just basically dumb terminals. Everything is processed on the Hopper, and the Joey just displays what is sent to it.
Correct, but an Ethernet connected Joey that is NOT using H3 for internet access can still make the request directly to the internet and then the downstream is sent to the associated H3 where that unit sends the stream to the Joey that made the request using the MoCA network that the Joey is also connected to for all linear channel/DVR playback, etc. In theory, the H3 should be able to handle multiple streams (I think the chip used by the H3 boasts something like just under 20 streams, IIRC--it was a long time ago when I read the specs--and is subject to the aprox 1GB capacity of MoCA 2.0) from the internet and send them to multiple Joeys for viewing by different people. However, after looking at the posts of others, I suspect that the ONE streaming channel limit is a hardware/software limitation, and maybe the forthcoming new Dish device solves this limitation?
With that said I have heard of plans to raise that limit of streams at the same time, but don't know when its going to be released.
Again, I sure hope the Dish device/accessory that was spotted at the FCC and which you can not talk about may be the thing that fixes the current limitation. I think you did say it was going to be a great enhancement to Dish subscribers. I shall patiently await its arrival :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)