Ooma Offered By Dish

I am tempted but I do not have phone jacks nearmy router. i question itwould work well witha wireless bridge

You can get a wireless adapter from Ooma for it as the Telo has a USB port specifically for their wifi adapter, or do what we did and convert a wireless router to a wireless bridge using the DD-WRT firmware. Ours works great!

I have mine directly connected to one of the ports on my Cisco E4200. Works great. Occasionally I have to reboot the box, but other than that I love it. I have Premier, and an additional Virtual number, so that my wife and I can each have our google voice integrated sprint numbers ring the house phone when we're home.

Really do love it.

Miner said:
I used to have Vonage and wasn't using it at all. I took a look at OOMA and Magic jack. The big "minus" to OOMA seemed their box, if it fails, I'd have to buy a new (or refurbished) box, no type of support for it. Magic jack looked ok and their new box doesn't need the computer, but their whole service felt like a 'bait and switch' with very little information as to what you get and how much you pay. It wanted to send me the box, get me set up and then tell me how much it would cost.

In the end I bought a box that lets me use my wife's google voice service on my landline. Since google voice is still free, the cost was $50 for the box, and about 45 minutes getting it all setup.

When I went to cancel the Vonage service, they talked me into their $5 a month service that is free incoming and $.05 per minute outgoing. I ended up cancelling it after 2-3 months, but as a standby phone service, it would have been a decent deal.

Miner

What box was it

We've had OOMA for over a year and are very satisfied with it. Do not have the premiere service as we didn't feel that it would be of much use for us. For a little over $4 a month, it meets our needs. Much better call quality than the local monopoly phone company. No outages here. Connected to a Netgear router, using a Panasonic base with remote phones throughout the house. Not using the house wiring for the phones. Online contact control and call history are nice.

Per DealNews for today, OOMA Telo available at Sears for $130. Not available for shipping, so check if you have a store nearby.

You can get a wireless adapter from Ooma for it as the Telo has a USB port specifically for their wifi adapter, or do what we did and convert a wireless router to a wireless bridge using the DD-WRT firmware. Ours works great!

You guys talk me into WAAAAY too much stuff.

I had mine connected between the modem/router and our extended router, directly to our modem/router, and directly to one of the ports on our extended router. had an issue with either of the three ways of connecting
I meant to say, had no issue with either way of connecting

What box was it

It is an obi 110. I had to create (free) an obitalk account, and then configure it to use google talk and then add the adapter to the config. But for $50 (amazon) I haven't spent anything on a landline. Pretty much the only time we ever use the land line is the occasional incoming call and outgoing fax less than once a month. Google talk has a nice forwarding / simultaneous ring and also v-mail to text. Google may start charging next year but for now, it's free.

Miner

Miner said:
It is an obi 110. I had to create (free) an obitalk account, and then configure it to use google talk and then add the adapter to the config. But for $50 (amazon) I haven't spent anything on a landline. Pretty much the only time we ever use the land line is the occasional incoming call and outgoing fax less than once a month. Google talk has a nice forwarding / simultaneous ring and also v-mail to text. Google may start charging next year but for now, it's free.

Miner

Thanks for the info

Just to put a positive plug for MJ Plus. I have been using for 9 months and other than I lost my number during the port process I have had no problems. But I was not really tied to the number I had. If something happens to MJ OOMA will be my next provider.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I use NetTalk Duo. Been very happy so far.

Whenever I saw your post, I honestly did not know about NetTalk Duo. When I saw the features, I thought this is great. I saw that it was available at Wal-Mart. However, the reviews on the site were very negative. I really do hope that you continue to be happy with the service, though. The negatives are kind of pushing me away from the NetTalk Duo...Ooma for the most part had positive reviews, but there may have been a negative review here or there.

I think paying a $19.99 monthly charge to lease an Ooma system is much too high. Buying an Ooma system does save money in the long run.

I have been using an older Ooma system for over 2 years. I had tried Magic Jack, but it required a computer at that time to work. Ooma only required a broadband connection, and offered caller id (which I didn't have before), plus free long distance service in the US. I decided to get a new phone # which is unlisted, and no longer get junk phone calls from politicians, charities, or telemarketers. The older Ooma system I'm using has no monthly or annual fees at all, but did cost over $200 at the time I bought it. I also have a prepaid cell phone I use when traveling and as a backup in case my internet service is down. I am happy with the call quality and reliability of the Ooma system so far.

How awesome that you do not pay any fees! Reminds me of Sirius XM grandfathered customers...Of course, there may be some differences in terms of if your system would ever die on you (hopefully not, though...don't want any bad luck your way). What I am saying is I do not know if Ooma allows you to add a new one and keep the grandfathering of no fees at all. Still awesome, though! :)

For me Ooma works OK, although Vonage worked a little better and didn't have the misleading 2-level feature/pricing scheme. Of course Vonage does cost about three times as much per month, the reason I switched. I wouldn't even consider paying $30 a month for a VOIP-based service now. Still in my first year of Premium Ooma service, will probably re-up since I need and use the blacklisting feature. Was paying about $35 a month for Vonage -- Ooma runs under $15 a month, even with Premium.

We've had Ooma since Christmas. it works great. We don't need the premium package features so our bill is only $4 / month with free long distance in the US....much better than the $50+ we were paying before. I'd just get it from Costco or Amazon and bypass Dish. I unplugged our landline connection to the house and then plugged Ooma into a nearby wall outlet so the Dish receiver would display who's calling. That would also allow any wall phone to work (although we just plug our cordless phone system directly into the Ooma device). It works with E911 so that base is covered too.

I've been using Voipo (.com) for several months and am very happy with it. $165.00 for 2 years including E911 charges. Unlimited local and US long distance and many features including caller ID, call forwarding and fax service. My favorite feature is the ability to block an unlimited number of inbound calls. I can block individual numbers or whole area codes if desired using wilcdards. Nuisance calls have been virtually eliminated. The system uses a Cisco or Grandstream modem which is placed between your ISP cable modem and your router.

How awesome that you do not pay any fees! Reminds me of Sirius XM grandfathered customers...Of course, there may be some differences in terms of if your system would ever die on you (hopefully not, though...don't want any bad luck your way). What I am saying is I do not know if Ooma allows you to add a new one and keep the grandfathering of no fees at all. Still awesome, though! :)

I actually purchased the older system in Oct. 2009 specifically because there were no taxes on it. The newer Telo system had just become available for sale, but I read you would have to pay taxes on it. I don't subscribe to the Premium services others have noted. If I did, I might have to pay the taxes too. The basic service level includes services like Caller ID, call logs, answering machine function, etc. I hope my equipment keeps working, because Ooma has made no promises about grandfathering the tax difference.

I like how quickly making the change paid off. I had been paying about $30/month for a landline including all taxes and fees. I kept the landline for about a month to make sure the Ooma system worked okay. Once I dropped the landline, my DSL service went up $5/month (+ more NM taxes), but the payback period was less than a year.

You guys talk me into WAAAAY too much stuff.

I finally got hooked up. i was unable to get it working wirelessly with the Ooma adapter but went out and bought a $#19.99 switch to install to the wireless bridge that keeps my 21k connected. I did have one glitch with the OOMA losing connectivity after the original number was ported but a call to tech support resolved that and they threw in another 12 months of premeier service free.

It all seems prety good so far.

We've had Ooma since Christmas. it works great. We don't need the premium package features so our bill is only $4 / month with free long distance in the US....much better than the $50+ we were paying before. I'd just get it from Costco or Amazon and bypass Dish. I unplugged our landline connection to the house and then plugged Ooma into a nearby wall outlet so the Dish receiver would display who's calling. That would also allow any wall phone to work (although we just plug our cordless phone system directly into the Ooma device). It works with E911 so that base is covered too.

I just ordered one and was wondering if the Caller ID service would work on my 722 receivers. So the number comes up on-screen just as it does with a regular landline ?