Oops...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
A new coffee table was making it hard to use my Directv receiver as the table was in the way of the remote signal. I decided to move the receiver higher up so it would be easier to change channels. I unplugged everything and now... it doesn't work.

The HR24 and AM21 will come on together, like always. The screen will display the "Your Directv Receiver is powering up!" and "Just a few more seconds" screen, but it's all green and static looking and then it goes away, the AM21 shuts off, and the screen goes to "No Signal" - um... what did I do?!?! I have moved it a few times and never had any trouble. I have tried with and without the AM21 and the exact same thing happens. Is there a special trick? Help!

Thanks.

And now, it's 11:00 and the HR24 turned on and has the recording light on (I do have an 11:00 recording normally). Still "LG No Signal" on the TV.

Can you try a different video output from the HR24, sounds like the output port may have been damaged or something. Perhaps try component cables, or even basic RCA to test?

This worked... Now what. The 3D won't work via component! I don't use it a lot, but ... if I should be able to, I should be able to!

Can you try a different video output from the HR24, sounds like the output port may have been damaged or something. Perhaps try component cables, or even basic RCA to test?

Try the box on a different TV with HDMI and a different cable, sounds like something happened to the box that it isn't outputting video.

Want to isolate if it is just the HDMI port on the receiver.

Try the box on a different TV with HDMI and a different cable, sounds like something happened to the box that it isn't outputting video.

Want to isolate if it is just the HDMI port on the receiver.

I swapped the HDMI I use from my computer to the AVR (a crappy cable-compay HDMI cable) with the one I use for Directv ("fancy" one I paid for). It's now working via HDMI, but with the crappy cord. Thanks for all your help!

I swapped them back and it doesn't work. I tried the "nice" one from my computer to the AVR and it still doesn't work. At least I know what's wrong. I wonder how long, if ever, it would have taken me to think of that. Would the cord just fry like that from unplugging it?

I swapped the HDMI I use from my computer to the AVR (a crappy cable-compay HDMI cable) with the one I use for Directv ("fancy" one I paid for). It's now working via HDMI, but with the crappy cord. Thanks for all your help!

I swapped them back and it doesn't work. I tried the "nice" one from my computer to the AVR and it still doesn't work. At least I know what's wrong. I wonder how long, if ever, it would have taken me to think of that. Would the cord just fry like that from unplugging it?

Probably a bad connection.

As far as HDMI cables go, the connectors are where the money comes in, but digital is digital, it's either there or not.

Don't spend BIG Bucks for the HDMI (ala Monster) if you can get it cheaper with a still quality cable. (Tributaries comes to mind).
Also I use Monoprice for alot of my cables when needed, very reasonable and have a GREAT selection.

Cost of a new HDMI Cable vs a bad TV or D* input.

Go to Monoprice.com they have the best bang for the buck on cables... pretty fast and cheap shipping too.

I had the same problem with the IR remote getting blocked, so, I bought a new RF remote off fleabay for $8. D* wants $25 for them.

Glad you got it figured out.

I second the monoprice.com recomendation, great source for cables/accessories at a great price.

If you want to be real cheap, I've heard of times where Directv tech support can send out a HDMI cable replacement free, but for the $5 cost it would take to buy one, I don't know that it is worth the time on the phone...

With the exception of the one I use (well, now USED) for my main Directv receiver, all of my HDMI cables are from Time Warner Cable. I had them for a little while when I first moved to this place and they gave me two. I asked for two more at the office one day and they gave them to me, no questions asked. I will send a buddy of mine in to TWC's office (he is a customer) and have him grab one there. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.