Open Letter to DIRT

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Per Zach's comment, and no disrespect meant, but as has been said, the users here are hardly the average user. With that said, when a customer has a very unconventional and non-standard layout, you're not going to find a lot of call center folks who can help. Having 7 TVs (wow) hooked up to a single 612 isn't normal, and while the CSRs will do what they can to help, please realize if you set up a very unusual setup like that, you're mostly on your own (or should ask here, it's far more likely someone here can help with an install like that).

Your last comment sort of hits that point. "Why can't the 612...", and you ask for a configuration that Dish doesn't really support. There's just not a logical reason to set something up like that, for something that 99%+ of the user base isn't going to use or need.

For example, if you were to take your wireless router from a telco, have it hooked to boosters, some kind of antenna to enhance signal on a large property, or something like that, you're not going to get much luck if you call the telco for help on that.
The 612 was originally shipped with UHF/VHF capability activated. The UHF being activated doesn't prevent it from using an IR remote.

In the earlier days of "C-band"/ small dish it wasn't unusual to combine an OTA antenna and a CH.3/4 satellite signal and distribute it through out the house. Today with digital satellite very little TV broadcasting is below Ch.7 so CH.3/4 has no interference.

Yup. Programming remotes is very simple and has been covered on this forum too many times to count. Any 5 second search on the Internet would find instructions as well. In other words.... It's not difficult.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
True programming the remote for different addresses has been covered many times. Programming the 612 for UHF/IR is different you must do it in the IR mode using a UHF remote and there is no address number to input. A UHF antenna must be connected to the back of the receiver while the system info screen is displayed. I found 3 "Advanced Techs" who didn't know how to do it so it can't be that simple.

Soooooo why is this addressed to DIRT?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This was addressed to DIRT because they are much ballyhooed as the ones that can get the job done. It is an open letter because I expected an answer like Zach's saying this isn't worth correcting. Customer service isn't important even though it was the reason Zach's job was created.

The 612 was originally shipped with UHF/VHF capability activated. The UHF being activated doesn't prevent it from using an IR remote.

Channel 1 accomplishes that.

All mine were UHF out of the box, set to channel 1. I have three, two leased, one owned. All of the original remotes that came with, say UHF Pro on the key and I never had to buy anything extra like the UHF antenna or the IR/UHF remotes.

This was addressed to DIRT because they are much ballyhooed as the ones that can get the job done. It is an open letter because I expected an answer like Zach's saying this isn't worth correcting. Customer service isn't important even though it was the reason Zach's job was created.

So you are addressing DIRT when you failed to come here and ask for their help OR our help? Seems legit.........

So you are addressing DIRT when you failed to come here and ask for their help OR our help? Seems legit.........

I'm going to DIRT because DISH didn't follow their own procedure of emailing the customer with tracking number. DISH also has at least three ADVANCED TECHs that can't read and follow the script for programming the 612 to operate on UHF and IR.

I'm going to DIRT because DISH didn't follow their own procedure of emailing the customer with tracking number. DISH also has at least three ADVANCED TECHs that can't read and follow the script for programming the 612 to operate on UHF and IR.

That's the issues you CALLED Dish but now want to bitch to DIRT in an open forum where others can read it.

I wouldn't refuse Geek Squad and then bitch towards Best Buy HQ when something goes wrong with the installation.

They didn't "follow the script", because there is no script for doing that. The resources we have for a 612 assume that it is connected to ONE television, with ONE remote. The resources advise that the IR/UHF switch next to the batteries in a 20.x or 21.x remote would then be switched to UHF, or with a 6.x remote, the tab on the front would be changed to UHF. Then on the system info page, the customer presses SAT then RECORD. That will change the remote address and change the IR/UHF to whatever that remote is set to.

I'll stress, again, normal troubleshooting for a 612 receiver does not in any way deal with a customer having 7 (!) televisions connected to a 612. Don't blame advanced tech support for it.

2 words:

1st word - DRAMA

2nd word - QUEEN

Seriously, you should have came here after the 1st unsuccessful attempt with Technical Support. With the high turnover rate they have, most of them probably don't even know the 612 was originally released with a UHF remote.

Last edited:
They didn't "follow the script", because there is no script for doing that. The resources we have for a 612 assume that it is connected to ONE television, with ONE remote. The resources advise that the IR/UHF switch next to the batteries in a 20.x or 21.x remote would then be switched to UHF, or with a 6.x remote, the tab on the front would be changed to UHF. Then on the system info page, the customer presses SAT then RECORD. That will change the remote address and change the IR/UHF to whatever that remote is set to.

I'll stress, again, normal troubleshooting for a 612 receiver does not in any way deal with a customer having 7 (!) televisions connected to a 612. Don't blame advanced tech support for it.
I am surprised at the number of posters that can't read English. SomeDishGuy please quote where I posted that I have 7 TVs connected to a 612, I did post that I have 7 remotes. Last time I checked my 20.0 is just an IR remote there is no UHF switch in the battery compartment.

I am surprised at the number of posters that can't read English. SomeDishGuy please quote where I posted that I have 7 TVs connected to a 612, I did post that I have 7 remotes. Last time I checked my 20.0 is just an IR remote there is no UHF switch in the battery compartment.

You declared open season on yourself when you went after Zach.
Zach didn't do anything to disrespect you.

I already had 5 UHF and 2 IR remotes for use anywhere in the house.

I am surprised at the number of posters that can't read English. SomeDishGuy please quote where I posted that I have 7 TVs connected to a 612, I did post that I have 7 remotes.
You responded ~4 times over 2-3 days since your post above stating you have (5)+(2) remotes "for use anywhere in the house". Yes, some assumed that means you have (7) TVs. I mean, I can't think of why you would have (7) working remotes, linked to a receiver.

Take it down an octave will ya? Why do some people make these things so personal?

SomeDishGuy misunderstood what you said? You can quite easily correct his misunderstanding without getting angry.

This thread is done. Boba, any further assistance you need from DIRT please contact them privately. There are better ways of doing things,No need to try and get DIRT's attention publicly like this. Thank you...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)