openbox s9 firmware june 21 2011

Status
Please reply by conversation.

macgod79

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Nc
Has anyone tried this yet.I'm getting good reports that this fixes timer issues and the studder on some channels. Gonna take the plundge and do it in a bit.

Also let us know exactly what model you have. I have a Solomend rather than an Openbox, and the last several firmware updates have had severe problems for me, even though the box passes the clone test.

I just read on another board that this version DOES work on a Solomend, but I'm skeptical because when I unrar it, ("it" being a version from Yojia), it has the same date as the prior version from WyDVB that doesn't work. (On the other hand, I see that WyDVB has a new version out today too. I haven't downloaded that one to see if the date is the same on it.)

Anyway, I'll be trying it Wednesday afternoon, and of course I'll report back what I find.

I tried the Jun 21 firmware today, and it didn't work well on my Solomend 800. It was not as transparent a load as previous versions. Channels were a little messed up. Sats were a little messed up, after restoring. Even with a good setup on 87W Ku, I couldn't blindscan a single tp. On the PLUS side, the annoying banner in the middle of the screen on the composite output is gone. I'll work with this further, see if anything can redeem this version on my box.
:)

Tried reloading, restoring defaults, etc ... Couldn't get the tuner to find anything at all. This one is not a winner on my Solomend 800, that's for sure. :(
Sad, bacause they cured one of my gripes, the banner on the composite out, when in 1080i mode. Back to 9/27/2010 firmware for me.

Ouch! I haven't tried it yet, and I'm not sure if I'll get to it tonight or not.

On the previous few versions, the way to get the scan menus to be enabled was to go into your satellite list, toggle the status of every satellite, exit to save the list, then go back and put them back the way you want.

But, on the last version I tried, a few days ago, scanning was still screwed up. It would only scan one polarity, and whatever it was using for the local oscillator frequency was NOT what I had selected.

People with an Openbox, not a Solomend, say that they have the satellite list glitch, but everything else works after they fix that. :(

Jim , I followed your procedure and it looks like it's working. Previously I hadn't done the satellite deselect and reselect . Now to see how it well it works. Thanks. :)
Seems to blindscan slow, but I get the tuner working, anyway. :)

Is it finding things at the correct frequencies? On mine, it's doing the same thing as the previous version -- using some LO frequency completely other than what I've selected. And it does this even if I change it in the antenna setup menu and then change it back.

(This is with my custom satellite list loaded. I'm not about to go through the default satellite list and scan everything again and then change the names to the non-ugly format I prefer -- I'll just stick with the old firmware first!)

Last edited:
Seems every time they fix something, they break something else... I just wish the source would be released into the wild, then maybe we could get somewhere with this obviously capable box.

The frequencies are close. I deleted 97W Ku and blindscanned it back in. Neither the transmit freq nor the SR is off Lyngsat by more than "2" . That should be close enough. [edit] Just checked the PVR function. It doesn't seem to enable the hard drive. The hard drive is detected, but no response to format command, etc. Not a deal breaker for me, since it's never worked correctly without an accurate clock, so I don't use it.
Is it finding things at the correct frequencies? On mine, it's doing the same thing as the previous version -- using some LO frequency completely other than what I've selected. And it does this even if I change it in the antenna setup menu and then change it back.

(This is with my custom satellite list loaded. I'm not about to go through the default satellite list and scan everything again and then change the names to the non-ugly format I prefer -- I'll just stick with the old firmware first!)

Last edited:
Seems every time they fix something, they break something else... I just wish the source would be released into the wild, then maybe we could get somewhere with this obviously capable box.

I wonder if someone could pretend to be a dealer and get the development kit? I doubt a Chinese company would bother checking for a U.S. business license, but I wonder if they'd provide it before you ordered any hardware? (The second problem is, identifying the originator of the receiver! According to the ill-tempered guy from the Fridge, it's not Yojia, but he doesn't say whether it's WyDVB or someone completely different.)

There's got to be a software development kit for these receivers. There are so many models that are the same (except for one or two features) that the programmers can't possibly be doing it by hand.

I wonder if someone could pretend to be a dealer and get the development kit?

The S9 is a SoC from Ali. The developer/manufacturer adds the desired power supply, memory, inputs, outputs and front panel features. Most of the factories cranking out the S9 and S10 are not able to code, but are simply activating features of the chipset to meet the feature list provided by the client.

To obtain a development platform and SDK, one must be an established developer/manufacturer, be sponsored or have a parts buy or production contract. Development kits are not provided to dealers or distributors. Backgrounds are verified and non disclosure agreements are signed. White papers (tech guides) are equally as hard to obtain...... SDKs are carefully released for factories to sell new hardware and buy more chipsets, not for reverse engineering or to create sales competition with a used product. Like it or not, it is BIG business and manufacturers must create a life cycle!

Well I tried the firmware and rather like it. I was using the jan 11 update before so to me I like it a lot.I like the fact I can load my movies from my hdd. Also reelz and some of the s2 signals have lost the studder problem, big yeah for that. Wish you could change menu color and make your own guide if u wanted too. It does have the bug where when u first load it you have to deselect all the sats in your list them renable them. Overall win win

signal /quality beep function working?
or is there now a bigger signal bar?
(i know, i sound like a broken record)
kodaz

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts