OPENBOX S9 / GBOX SET UP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rodm

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
florida
I am having no success setting up my openbox with my gbox. Using diseqc 1.2 I was able to start saving satellite from amc3 (pos1) moving west until 7 sats were saved. However upon going back to pos1 using the openbox remote to save and move the dish I could not lock any of my sats back. I tried using the RECALCULATION option once I got the dish back to amc3 using the gbox remote but no success. I have now started over by getting my receiver to lock a strong signal on amc3 and saving again as pos1 and then using openbox receiver to go to galaxy 28 to save as pos2 but the dish BUT THE DISH DOES NOT MOVE between the two sats when i attempt it using the openbox remote. The gbox does show the correct pos # however when going back and forth. I did try DELETING ALL sat positions in motor settings in diseqc 1.2 BUT I dont seem to have this option. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
rodm

I had my own set of issues trying to integrate my Sonicview HD and my Home Theater PC to the G-Box.

Ultimately I gave up and wired them separately and resolved to just use two remotes. I didn't like the lists built into the G-Box either, and had more clarity when I entered my own. I found that numbering the satellites by the last two digits of the satellite's longitudinal position seemed to be best - 31 for 131 west, 23 for 123 west, 07 for 107.3, 99 for 99 west and so on.

It worked for me. But I am interested if you come up with a better solution/

Lone Cloud, I will wait to see if anyone comes up with any other ideas. Your suggestion does seem workable BUT, I would really just like to use one remote if possible ie. the openbox one.
rodm

I didn't have any problems with the Gbox and Openbox, But I used 2 digit positions.(??) If you program it with it's own remote, Dump the user data from the openbox. edit (enter) the position numbers, and reload the user data. That's basically what I did. as the Gbox was already programmed via it's remote and a Panny9200.

Fa T Air, thanks for the reply but you are way over my head in your response. I did buy my openbox which had the European sat list. I did dump that list and imported a list from sadoun which had the N. American sats. Initally when I first programmed the sats the openbox remote did move the dish automatically but, after hitting RECALCULATION and doing what I did as mentioned in my original post the remote does not move the dish automatically.

I had the same sort of problems with my v-box. I finally just gave up and use the remote for the v-box manually. I put a big chart on the wall showing the position numbers for the different satellites. It works fine that way. Its sort of like the old antenna rotator box. People used to write on the box where the different channels or cities were.

Fa T Air, thanks for the reply but you are way over my head in your response. I did buy my openbox which had the European sat list. I did dump that list and imported a list from sadoun which had the N. American sats. Initally when I first programmed the sats the openbox remote did move the dish automatically but, after hitting RECALCULATION and doing what I did as mentioned in my original post the remote does not move the dish automatically.

May wont to check which firmware you have in the receiver,there was an issue with the motor control in the early versions,not quite certain as to what issues there where but that could be your problem!

I'm using the 9-27-2010 firmware, and I've no problems with the Gbox interfacing. In fact, I'm currently running both the Gbox and a USALS motor off the Openbox , for my 6 footer and 1M dishes. I can even go back and forth between my CS8000 running the Gbox, and the Openbox running the Gbox without a great deal of fuss. The Gbox positions remain the same, and the position numbers in the receivers have to correspond .
:)

PHOTO TUTORIAL OpenBox/Gbox

Rodm,

Here is the procedure I use on my OpenBox/Gbox setup. It's a bit elementary, but also might help others. Since you pressed "recalculation" you will have to start over. I never push this, I think it is only for Usals that we don't use with a positioner box. I list all the sats I want on paper and pre-assign the position or "P-number". You can start with your AMC3 but doesn't matter what sat or position number or the order.

Go to the Antenna setup menu and select Diseqc 1.2
Then highlight and select motor setting.
02-06-11_1117.jpg

Next select Position Setting
02-06-11_1119.jpg

Select a transponder known to be good on this sat.
While watching the signal bars move the dish East or West USING THE G-BOX REMOTE.
Highlight Position No.& Save.
Key in your position number you want for this sat. Single digits are ok.
Highlight the Save button in the center of the screen.
Press OK , then exit out.
02-06-11_1131.jpg

Repeat this for each sat you want in any order. Don't press "STORE" on the Gbox remote. Use the OpenBox menu for this. Your G-box and OpenBox are happily married!

Jim

Pixl, the steps you mentioned above is exactly what I have done. However the dish does not move when you try to go back to a previous sat that is stored. The Gbox does show the correct pos # but the dish does not move. It does say its moving in the openbox screen but never does. I have cleared out all saved sats on the openbox and gbox and started over 2 X but still nothing...ANY SUGGESTIONS.????
Rodm

Pixl wait one minute I just realized my MISTAKE and you even Highlighted it USE THE GBOX REMOTE to move the dish.. going to bed now got to be at work for 0645 hrs. Will try it when i get home from work at 1915 hrs.

THANKS Rodm

Pixl wait one minute I just realized my MISTAKE and you even Highlighted it USE THE GBOX REMOTE to move the dish..

Rodm,

My choice for using the Gbox remote is mainly that it is faster, and you can more accurately position the dish with smaller bumps. If you are doing everything but the remote, I'm worried you still may have an issue.
Give it a try and let us know how it works.

Jim

When I set up my GBOX , I used a Pansat 2700 receiver. Then I simply used the same position numbers in my Openbox setup and all was well. You should be able to control the dish mover with just the GBOX, or the GBOX remote, or the receiver remote, but as Jim points out , working with the GBOX remote , or GBOX front panel, gives the most sensitivity. Once the receiver is programmed for a particular position ( like Position 10 of mine is 107W) , the receiver simply sends a command to the GBOX to goto position 10, when a channel on 107W is requested. There are several ways of getting this done, and they should all work, otherwise to you have some troubleshooting to do.
1. Do you have repeatablity if you ONLY use the GBOX ? If not, troubleshoot THAT first, because it doesn't get any better putting the receiver into the equation.
2. Once you KNOW that the GBOX setup is fine, then move to the receiver and start entering the correct position numbers for the sats, and have the receiver command the dish to position. Store the location when it's correct and scan the bird.
:)

Pixl, I did as you suggested but no luck. The dish never moves even though the openbox screen display says it moving. The Gbox like before immediately shows the correct position # on its display once the openbox sat and position # is selected. So as before no CHANGE. ....... Brent I did use the Gbox as a standalone if thats what you meant by " repeatability " and it does move the dish promptly. So it appears the openbox is the culprit. I am using firmware : HDS2-10-07-11: 072AMT. Any suggestions???????/

The receiver can't actually "feel" the Dish move. When it displays "Moving Dish" that just means it sent the command for the Dish to move.

Does the GBox show the numbers moving, or does it just Flash the Position Number?

Using the GBox remote, if you enter a Sat position, does the Dish move?

Did you enter the Sat Position Numbers into the Openbox Sat Setup Menu?

I'm out of ideas at this point. My firmware is the same as yours, kinda tells me you may have bought your OpenBox from the Freon Site. If you did, ask your question over there, they have good help on it, but only for their own customers.

In my last reply I mentioned that I used the Gbox by itself to isolate if it was the Gbox or Openbox was at fault. I was wrong in saying the OPenbox was at fault. I came to the conclusion that the Openbox was at fault as I used AMC3 and Gal 28 (87w and 89w). Because they are next to each other I still got good signal and quality NOT REALIZING THE DISH DID NOT MOVE. Upon further testing the GBOX as a standalone with sat positions more than 2 degree's apart. The Gbox does not move the dish when I try to recall stored positions it only works using the left and right move command buttons on the remote or face of the GBox. It however does show the correct position # on the Gbox BUT the E-2 sign does not show its actually moving the dish. So now that I believe I have isolated the problem what next. I bought the Gbox used from Sadoun a few months ago.

When you say you can move the dish with the L/R remote buttons, can you move the dish all the way across the sky, or do you have to do it in short bursts or pushes? The E2 error (only error on the G-box) says you are not getting pulses from the actuator. This would move the problem to the actuator sensor or the wiring.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)