Openbox X3 / SkyBox F3 / Skybox M3 Is there a Difference?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
I am looking for a new HD Receiver with a faster Blindscan & been reading about the new just announced Openbox X3 HD PVR(3) which they say has a 50,000 channel capability, versus Skybox F3, versus Skybox M3. They All seem to carry the latest: ali 3601 Main Chipset. Does anyone know what the differences of these receivers is? That is, it looks like the the Openbox X3 is the newest one, but looks like there are no venders for the X3 so far except maybe Chinese seller yojia and yojiatech.com re info. Some Youtube Videos show the Skybox M3 which looks like a smaller Receiver than the Skybox F3?? At under $100.00 each, I'm wondering which one would be the best to try out? Any comments would be much appreciated.

You know I was trying to figure that all out the other day. Brain from SatAv will know. He tests these things out for a living.;)

I have an F3 on order. I will post when I receive it and have a chance to try it out on 97w for simplicity, then on a motorized setup later.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

It doesn't matter what they call it as the manufactures and models will all have different configurations and PCB builds and those builds may change from run to run as they source based on price and availability. These don't roll of of one line or out of one factory.....

Watch out for low size flash and DDR memory and base your purchase on the advice of someone else's risk.... . No telling which manufacturer will have the best operation or firmware support. Most of them don't care either as they are simply selling the latest and greatest and most do not have in-house development engineers. Others are pure genious and beautiful builds!

Unless someone tells you where they bought it and the exact configuration and build date, you really will not know what you are buying. :eek:

The F3 sample that we tested about 8 months ago had great potential, but I wouldn't give it away let alone sell it. That was just one model from one factory, one hardware design, one component build and one firmware implementation. There are dozens more to choose from.

I read on a site in India(seller posted) that there was no difference between the f3/m3 and the x3, but yojia has different fw for the x3. I know the f3 and m3 uses the same fw.

I read on a site in India(seller posted) that there was no difference between the f3/m3 and the x3, but yojia has different fw for the x3. I know the f3 and m3 uses the same fw.

Thanks for all the replies. Squid385, also noticed that yojia makes mention that the newer? Openbox X3 has a 50,000 channel capability, also interesting that it has different FW than the F3/M3.

Post #7 from Brian! :) That kind of integrity is why I am waiting for the microHD! He had samples of 12Volt units and would not sell or give me one because he COULD not stand behind (or in front of) it.
He is not putting down competition. He could have had these produced and sold them. But he will not compromise.

or just wait a week and I'm sure Popcorn will buy them and try them out :rolleyes:

HEY! :) I was going to purchase the Skybox F3, but after seeing the low memory (128MB) I decided not to bother. I do however really like the Skybox S12 I purchased and would consider purchasing the M3 in the future.

Last edited:
HEY! :) I was going to purchase the Skybox F3, but after seeing the low memory (128MB) I decided not to bother. I do however really like the Skybox S12 I purchased and would consider purchasing the M3 in the future.

Hey PopcornNMore or others, looks like Skybox M3 and F3 Receivers are Both available at sellers ie Mixeshop for the same price, but M3 is smaller than F3 - so which one would you suggest purchasing? Or is this just a roll of the dice?

Correct, the microHD has 1Gbit (128MByte) DDR2 and 32MByte flash. Most average STBs have 4MByte flash, but look for more.....

flash is sometimes listed as 32Mb and 64Mb,which is 4MB and 8MB
When I got the 4MB blanks from digikey they also had the 8MB version.

Hey PopcornNMore or others, looks like Skybox M3 and F3 Receivers are Both available at sellers ie Mixeshop for the same price, but M3 is smaller than F3 - so which one would you suggest purchasing? Or is this just a roll of the dice?

I think the only difference is size. I really like the Skybox S12 and would purchase another Skybox any day.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)