OpenPli version 20190318 Multiboot review

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
I loaded this today in slot 4, and set it all up manually, IE: I didn't restore settings/channels/ et al from my other images. I just messed with it about 3 hours or so for now.

It does NOT have Blindscan loaded default, you have to add it first. I also had to download the plugin for "System Time" and setup time from the internet NTP server. It sets up quite a bit the same way as NA SatDreamGr image, but isn't quite as polished 'out of the box' IMO. It scans radio and tv all into the same bouquets, which makes it challenging, especially when scanning 105w with it's 2100+ channels. I much prefer them being properly separated, as they are in the NA SDGr image.

It also doesn't properly 'sort' channels alphabetically in the default bouquet, and I was unable to find a way to make it do so. Though I very much suspect it's there somewhere as a menu option. If not, you MUST setup Favorite user bouquets, and sort them the way you'd like.

It also can't see my WD 2TB external hard drive that I've been using for recording with NA SDGr, that's active on that image, and has many recordings on it. There might be a way to "make it see it", but I don't know how, and I didn't want to play around and take a chance on accidentally wiping it. If anybody knows how to make the external drives automatically be "seen" or activated from the various images, PLEASE let me know how to do that (without wiping the drive!)

Anyway, I now have NA SDGr Final in slot 1, NA SDGr RC in slot 2, OpenVIX in slot 3, and OpenPli in slot 4.

I'd have to say that as of right now, the NA SDGr image is by FAR my favorite, and already has me spoiled rotten. Followed by OpenVIX, and then this new OpenPli

Any suggestions on what I should install in slot 2 to play with, replacing my RC version of NA SDGr that's in that slot right now?

Well, I booted back into the new OpenPli 7.0 image, and was able to change the folder setting to properly find my drive and recordings. I didn't realize that it defaulted to a different folder structure, because I spent more time on the full setup and scanning instead of thinking "why".

So, I'm all set now! My drive is properly seen by all the images on my receiver.

p.s. Just a point of advice, BEFORE you go into Multiboot and change to another image, perhaps ALWAYS park your receiver on a channel of a sat that you want it to return to (for each image). Because when you boot on a new image, it'll automatically take off and MOVE to the sat and channel it was last left on for that image!

Reactions: norman881
I also learned how to install .ipk files last night. I really wanted the GlamourAura FHD skin on this image, as the few skins built-in to OpenPli 7.0 aren't to my liking, and GlamourAura isn't available in the Plugins download for that image (at least not yet). So, I went to the OpenPli forum, and downloaded the latest GlamourAura .ipk file directly from MCelliotG's thread on it.

I copied it to /enigma2/tmp, (don't need FTP, if you have your Mio set to show up on your LAN so your pc can see it in Network Neighborhood. Then it's just a straight copy/paste scenario) then installed it using the File Manager plugin. Worked perfectly! Now I have to do the same with the MSN Weather plugin, & the Bitrate plugin as it really expects it.

It doesn't seem like it, but it's already been 6 weeks tomorrow since I first setup this receiver, and El Bandido helped me through the first BIG learning curve with that 'stuck' settings file.

I haven't been pushing it at all, and it doesn't really take all that long to get the hang of basic E2 receiver stuff.

So, IMO, nobody should be all that concerned that they "can't learn this", just because it initially needs a bit of a little learning curve

Interesting addition to what I've noticed with these image installs. This has now happened both when I installed OpenVIX, and now with OpenPli in other slots.

IF you have valid repeating (or even ones that just haven't fired as of yet) recording timers set through the WebIF Timers screen, (maybe even if set directly on the receiver with the remote, as I haven't checked that possibility) and you install a new image, AFTER you multiboot back to the image the timers were set it (NA SatDreamGr in my case), the dates on the timers change to the year 2068!

Not only that, but you can't fix them. You have to create new ones, and delete the now bad older ones.

I loaded this today in slot 4, and set it all up manually, IE: I didn't restore settings/channels/ et al from my other images. I just messed with it about 3 hours or so for now.

It does NOT have Blindscan loaded default, you have to add it first. I also had to download the plugin for "System Time" and setup time from the internet NTP server. It sets up quite a bit the same way as NA SatDreamGr image, but isn't quite as polished 'out of the box' IMO. It scans radio and tv all into the same bouquets, which makes it challenging, especially when scanning 105w with it's 2100+ channels. I much prefer them being properly separated, as they are in the NA SDGr image.

It also doesn't properly 'sort' channels alphabetically in the default bouquet, and I was unable to find a way to make it do so. Though I very much suspect it's there somewhere as a menu option. If not, you MUST setup Favorite user bouquets, and sort them the way you'd like.

It also can't see my WD 2TB external hard drive that I've been using for recording with NA SDGr, that's active on that image, and has many recordings on it. There might be a way to "make it see it", but I don't know how, and I didn't want to play around and take a chance on accidentally wiping it. If anybody knows how to make the external drives automatically be "seen" or activated from the various images, PLEASE let me know how to do that (without wiping the drive!)

Anyway, I now have NA SDGr Final in slot 1, NA SDGr RC in slot 2, OpenVIX in slot 3, and OpenPli in slot 4.

I'd have to say that as of right now, the NA SDGr image is by FAR my favorite, and already has me spoiled rotten. Followed by OpenVIX, and then this new OpenPli

Any suggestions on what I should install in slot 2 to play with, replacing my RC version of NA SDGr that's in that slot right now?

Hey Mike try pur E2 I like it almost better that OpenVIX

Reactions: primestar31
AFTER you multiboot back to the image the timers were set it (NA SatDreamGr in my case), the dates on the timers change to the year 2068!

Not only that, but you can't fix them. You have to create new ones, and delete the now bad older ones.

I understand from your posting on another forum that this was a menu setting? Could you share the menu setting that provides correct DVR timer date and time when using multiboot?

Reactions: primestar31
I understand from your posting on another forum that this was a menu setting? Could you share the setting that provided correct DVR date and time when using multiboot?

Yep, haven't had a chance as of yet to update this thread. I wanted to make sure the fix survived all my testing, and it has.

Basically, IF you have the "System Time" plugin installed to let your receiver ONLY get its time from an internet NTP server (should be nearly all of us here in the states), you must also go into its settings, and turn ON these settings:

1: "NTP cold start" (default is OFF)
2: "Use RTC time from deep standby" (default is OFF)

OpenVIX does not have those settings (maybe it assumes them?), but SatDreamGr and OpenPli 7.0 do

So, in NA SDGr image, hit MENU, Setup, System, System Time, flip those two settings to the right (so they look blue), then hit the Green button to SAVE. Then just back completely out.

P.S. I also have the "Sync NTP every" setting set to "30 minutes", as it seems to work best. My receiver is hardwired to my router.

I have also learned that IF I've done a Reboot a few times for whatever reason, I need to manually resync to the NTP server, otherwise it drifts nearly immediately a little bit just from that. Of course it would fix itself when it gets to the "30 minutes" time to auto-resync, but in my case, I might have a timer set to fire before then.

Here is a visual aid with the NA SDGr image:

MIO_SystemTime_Settings_20190219172706.jpg

Reactions: Babadem
I have been using the installed NA SDGr Final (slot 1) that came installed from Titanium for 2 weeks. Over the weekend I installed OpenPli to slot 2 and played with it. This morning I tried to return to my image on slot 1, but I do not see slot 1 as a multiboot selection option. I tried a factory reset since I have a back up of my settings, but it did not work either. My box boots up OpenPli 7.1 in slot 2 only. Do you have any suggestions that would fix my problem? I won't get to play with it much until next weekend.

Thanks,
Norman

When the receiver first displays "boot", select the menu button on the remote before it fully loads. That will bring up the images to choose from in a list.
You got me on the right path. I got the green screen crash when I tried this, so I tried doing the same thing after hitting restart and it worked! Thank you very much!

Glad it worked out. I tried the OpenPli 7.1 and also had the green screen lock ups I reported in the other thread. The OpenPli 7.0 release 20190415 has been loaded for months and worked great so I had no real reason the try another image other than something to do. No need to fix something that works.

I still bounce between images and have been using OpenVix this past week in that slot. That works fine, something to learn about each one. Seems each one has slight different approaches to the images and skins to tweak to my personal preference.

Glad it worked out. I tried the OpenPli 7.1 and also had the green screen lock ups I reported in the other thread. The OpenPli 7.0 release 20190415 has been loaded for months and worked great so I had no real reason the try another image other than something to do. No need to fix something that works.

I still bounce between images and have been using OpenVix this past week in that slot. That works fine, something to learn about each one. Seems each one has slight different approaches to the images and skins to tweak to my personal preference.
Thank you for the confirmation. I'll try 7.0 this weekend in slot 2.

I've been running OpenPli 7.0 since Saturday. I did not see any problems until I tried to flash PurE2 to slot 3. I have SatDream TNAP multiboot in slot 1 and OpenPli multiboot 7.0 in slot 2. I put PureE2 into my downloaded_images folder on my USB stick. It is not detected by either slot when I try to flash the image. Is there anything I can do short of a factory reset and starting from scratch? I tried 2 different USB drives and both USB ports on my receiver. My downloaded_images folder does not appear at all.

Thanks again,
Norman

I've been running OpenPli 7.0 since Saturday. I did not see any problems until I tried to flash PurE2 to slot 3. I have SatDream TNAP multiboot in slot 1 and OpenPli multiboot 7.0 in slot 2. I put PureE2 into my downloaded_images folder on my USB stick. It is not detected by either slot when I try to flash the image. Is there anything I can do short of a factory reset and starting from scratch? I tried 2 different USB drives and both USB ports on my receiver. My downloaded_images folder does not appear at all.

Thanks again,
Norman

Add another folder called "imagebackups" to your flashdrive, and put a copy of PurE2 into that, then try flashing again. OE images need the folder named this, instead of downloaded_images.

Error (1) Cannot find images. please try later - I tried both zipped image and extracted. I have it with me at work today.