Opinion: House Robbed - 1 TV left

Toyzruskid1976

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
Dayton, OH
I'm still not thinking coherently, so I figured I'd get an opinion. Last week I came home from a 10 day vacation only to find that my condo had been robbed. I was cleaned out. 3 TVs (42 plasma, 32 LCD, 19 LCD0 all taken. Not to mention my PS3 and 360 (Those are the only 2 things that can't be replaced... 3 years of gaming data on each system... pisses me off to high hell!)

But I digress... I just got my bill for 9/4-10/4 and got a bit frustrated because I'm having to pay 110 dollars for service I can't use. They didn't take a 12 inch kitchen TV and I hooked that up to my DVR so I could at least set it to record the new series that started this week.

I called dish up today to ask what they could do, if anything for me. The phone bank in BFE Asia answered and they were clueless. No empathy or anything. I finally hung up because the language barrier was horrid.

Am I wrong for thinking Dish my take pity on me and credit me a portion of my bill because I really can't use the service. I'm assuming I won't have a replacement TV until sometime next month. (not sure how long it takes for claims to go through)

Opinions? Suck it up and pay the bill? Try another route with Dish?

off topic, if anyone has any suggestions for researching new TVs and where to get the best product/price I'm all ears... I'd love to walk in to Best Buy with a dollar amount I'm willing to spend based on the claim settlement and tell them I need the 3 TVs a PS3 a 360 and a laptop.. make me your best deal... (and then I wake up all wet) :rolleyes:

While I understand your feelings, it seems to me that Dish isn't an insurer of you. You still have to pay your power bill, your newspaper bill, etc. If your house burned, you still would have to pay the mortgage. I am not saying it doesn't hurt to ask, but I seriously doubt they (or most anyone) can do anything. Just my 2 cents.

On the other hand, hopefully your insurance has a low deductible and you can recover your losses and get state of the art (new) items and can smile again in the near term! Again, sorry for the loss.

(added: as to researching things, try Amazon reviews, CDNET, use Google, etc. Many locations too numerous to note)

Last edited:
And that's the approach I was taking too, but they didn't even understand that I was looking to turn the extra receivers off as well as the HD. That's a 17 dollar charge right there.

Sounds to me that someone knew that you were on vacation and took action.. Sux

Sounds to me that someone knew that you were on vacation and took action.. Sux

Yeah... I've since stopped using Foursquare and am currently working on revamping my facebook/blog usage.

In all fairness, our gas company was on site for the week and had been asking my neighbors about my unit, when I'd be home, where I was, etc... they wanted to turn the gas back on to my unit. They knew I was out of town and could verify via the gas valve.

They broke in via the pull cord on my garrage door. They pryed the top of the door open and ran a hook through to pull the emergency release. I've since removed the cord.

The sad thing is.. the unit 3 doors down knew I was robbed, yet still went on vacation this week without informing the paper or the postal service.

I'm still not thinking coherently, so I figured I'd get an opinion. Last week I came home from a 10 day vacation only to find that my condo had been robbed. I was cleaned out. 3 TVs (42 plasma, 32 LCD, 19 LCD0 all taken. Not to mention my PS3 and 360 (Those are the only 2 things that can't be replaced... 3 years of gaming data on each system... pisses me off to high hell!)

But I digress... I just got my bill for 9/4-10/4 and got a bit frustrated because I'm having to pay 110 dollars for service I can't use. They didn't take a 12 inch kitchen TV and I hooked that up to my DVR so I could at least set it to record the new series that started this week.

I called dish up today to ask what they could do, if anything for me. The phone bank in BFE Asia answered and they were clueless. No empathy or anything. I finally hung up because the language barrier was horrid.

Am I wrong for thinking Dish my take pity on me and credit me a portion of my bill because I really can't use the service. I'm assuming I won't have a replacement TV until sometime next month. (not sure how long it takes for claims to go through)

Opinions? Suck it up and pay the bill? Try another route with Dish?

off topic, if anyone has any suggestions for researching new TVs and where to get the best product/price I'm all ears... I'd love to walk in to Best Buy with a dollar amount I'm willing to spend based on the claim settlement and tell them I need the 3 TVs a PS3 a 360 and a laptop.. make me your best deal... (and then I wake up all wet) :rolleyes:

Get your new stuff on line. Same quality and lower price. I got my panny 42" plasma from an on line dealer. The 1st they shipped was busted by shipping co but as soon as I called him told them. He had another coming in next day and he shipped it. Have had no problems w/ unit and saved at least 25% over BB. As far as E* it's not their fault and I don't think they can do anything for you. Almost surprised that the DVR didn't walk off w/ everything else. Maybe even thieves know that they couldn't unload it. Sounds' like you had some "friends" that knew you were gone. And now they have your stuff. Could be that you were found out via on line but that is less common than people would tend to make you think it is. It's more often "friends" or co-workers that know how long you will be gone and then your place is robbed by them or someone they know. Hope your lap was password protected or they will have access to much more stuff on you than what the theft did to you. Better start calling CC co and bank and let them know about it. Then you need to work w/ them and secure your accounts that could hurt much worse than the things that walked away w/ them. That could destroy your credit. If it sounds like I been there done that yep. It's been a few years but know what you are going thru. Good Luck and one fun thing is YOU GONNA HAVE NEW TOYS. :D

Get your new stuff on line. Same quality and lower price. I got my panny 42" plasma from an on line dealer. The 1st they shipped was busted by shipping co but as soon as I called him told them. He had another coming in next day and he shipped it. Have had no problems w/ unit and saved at least 25% over BB. As far as E* it's not their fault and I don't think they can do anything for you. Almost surprised that the DVR didn't walk off w/ everything else. Maybe even thieves know that they couldn't unload it. Sounds' like you had some "friends" that knew you were gone. And now they have your stuff. Could be that you were found out via on line but that is less common than people would tend to make you think it is. It's more often "friends" or co-workers that know how long you will be gone and then your place is robbed by them or someone they know. Hope your lap was password protected or they will have access to much more stuff on you than what the theft did to you. Better start calling CC co and bank and let them know about it. Then you need to work w/ them and secure your accounts that could hurt much worse than the things that walked away w/ them. That could destroy your credit. If it sounds like I been there done that yep. It's been a few years but know what you are going thru. Good Luck and one fun thing is YOU GONNA HAVE NEW TOYS. :D

Luckily I just reimaged my PC 3 weeks prior. I even had the Windows 7 Ultimate disk in the drive. (My damn signature edition for throwing a house party for Microsoft) So I added that to the claim 319.99. The laptop was password protected too (Thank goodness) poor theives... the mobo was bad and wouldn't charge the battery :( And the HDMI was bad on the 42 plasma... so yeah, new toys!! new WORKING toys!!

Here's a great deal on a 42" Panny plasma, today only though:

Panasonic TC-P42C2 42" 720p Class Viera® C2 Series Plasma HDTV(PANTCP42C2) and other affordable Plasma TV's at 6ave.com.

Use this coupon code to get the TV for $440 shipped:

AFL4COUPON

Thanks! It's only been a week and I'm patiently waiting for the info on how much they'll pay. Personally I'd like another 1080p and although I love the Plasma and how nice it was, I'd rather have an LCD or LED that doesn't drain the power.

Thanks! It's only been a week and I'm patiently waiting for the info on how much they'll pay. Personally I'd like another 1080p and although I love the Plasma and how nice it was, I'd rather have an LCD or LED that doesn't drain the power.

:up:up better compatiblity w/ new stuff like the 1080p on E* and the PS-3 Blu-Ray. Heck maybe you can go to a bigger toy.

The new Panny plasmas properly calibrated use about the same amount of power as a comperable size standard LCD. The days of high power consumption for plasmas are gone, at least with the Panasonics.

Here's a 50" 1080p Panny for $800.

http://www.buy.com/prod/panasonic-v...000-1-contrast-ratio/q/loc/111/210796389.html

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts