Opinion on first timer HD Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

smolenski

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
I'm a new member to this site and first want to say how much I appreciate the information available here. I hope that I can contribute as much as I've learned. Now for my question:
I have a Toshiba 36HFX71 (don't laugh) and want to experience HDTV for the first time. I'm a D* customer but, don't feel their programming is worth the upfront costs to rcv HDTV. What I'd like to do is get a Samsung SIR-T151 and a Silver Sensor for OTA and a Zenith DVB-318 for DVD upconverting. Does this sound like a setup that would work for experiencing HD?

Thanks in advance,

Del
Austin,TX

First of all the HDTV is not 16:9, first bad. Since all HD programming is presented in 16:9, your going to have get used to black bars, or a 33% picture cut off. In less you are going to buy a used (version 1) DVB-318 you won't be much HD on that TV, as your TV lacks a DVI input, second bad. Don't know OTA receivers. check www.avsforum.com for the best OTA (and highly visited forums) on the internet. In the end you MUST feed that HDTV an HD signal, because an HDTV without an HD signal is not an HDTV. It might be time to upgrade to a better 16:9 HDTV with DVI/HDMI HDCP inputs, and DirecTV HD service. You won't find nearly as much HD OTA, (0-4 hours per day, per channel). DirecTV HD is completly worth it.

Well, first of all think the 4:3 is a "bad". I've watched it for a couple of years and the wide screen format does not bother me (most of our DVD's are viewed in widescreen). Second, if I'm not mistaken the older DVB318's have composite out that will carry the 1080i and buying an older version will work just fine.

"In the end you MUST feed that HDTV an HD signal, because an HDTV without an HD signal is not an HDTV."

I don't know what you mean by that, of course I need to feed it an HD signal, that's the crux of my question.

And lastly, I currently have DirecTV with Tivo, and until D* get's something like that under $1k, it ain't worth it.

Sorry, my first sentence should have said:

"Well, first of all I don't think the 4:3 is a "bad".

smolenski, weclome to the forum. First of all composite will not carry 1080i, you need component at least for the HD signal. How close are you to your local stations. This will determine which antenna would best for your location.

" First of all composite will not carry 1080i, you need component at least for the HD signal."

Thanks, I always get the two mixed up.

I'm no further than 12 miles from any of the 6 DTV stations, according to AntennaWeb, that service Austin.

4:3 is bad, because its outdated and the orginal format used since the begining of TV. We move one more step every time a channel becomes 16:9 HD, to 4:3 being a thing of the past. look at Europe, almost all 16:9 broadcasts now. If your going to have an HDTV, then its got to be 16:9 to take full advantage of HD. you'll have to track down a old (non-software updated) DVB-318 to use with your TV, in order to get 1080i thru component. might be hard, and it might cost more then a new unit, because they have become so rare now. you can upgrade to D* HD for $99, (customer retention package) and keep your Tivo to record non-HD, or you can upgrade to the HD DirecTivo for $649. (buy for $899 from retailer, new, $250 credit from customer retention.) either way the upgrade to DirecTV will get you at least one ATSC tuner for HD OTA, included in every HD STB by D*. You will spend more then $99 just for a stand alone ATSC STB tuner, so why not upgrade to HD DirecTV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)