Opinion on Pio BDP-320

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
We found a 4bed house, and I've setup for two HDDVR's (added one in bedroom on 32" Panny LCD), so I'm gonna add a second BR player. Thinking of moving the BD35 to the bedroom, and getting the 320 for the living room. I do not expect PQ improvements, but it seems like the audio is good on the Pio.

TIA

Well, from what I read, the 320 is very similar to my BD51's. I absolutely love the 51 for CD playback using the analog outs and the multi-ch outs are just as good :). Not sure on the 320's scaling chipset, but if it's like my 51, it's top notch.

Nope. Slow, Pioneer is slow to respond w/firmware. For a company that has been around since the beginning, they have yet to put out a player that truly impresses me. I'd go Oppo before I ever go Pioneer. If you're using HDMI there will be absolutely no difference in audio. The only place the Pioneer and Denons really exceed all other brands (including Oppo) is the analog sections. Oppo does do great upconversion, also.

S~

I'll agree Pio is slow with firmware, but I can honestly say the 51's I have aside from slow loading (which really never bothered me in the first place with any player), I've never had a single disc not play, even with very old firmware. Of course, I got my 51's for less than $150 so I didn't put the money others did.

I won't pay for the current Oppo eventhough I like them as a company. Maybe when they bring out the newer player they are talking about. However like stated by teachsac, if you aren't gonna use analogs, then don't limit yourself to Pioneer.

I've done a lot of reading, and it's slow loading does appear to be the big issue. Not necessarily a deal break for me, because my BD30 and BD35 were/are slooooow too. I usually pop the movie in and got start making popcorn. :D

The OPPO is $200 more than the 320, and since the BR PQ really does not vary between the upper end units, I opted for the 320(just ordered the PIO online).

I think, other than the noted faults, it'll make a good reliable player in the main viewing area(my Panny has started having a breakup issue on discs, until I remove them and restart;the discs are clean).

I'm still a little leery of Samsung and Lg, which is one big reason why I bought the LED Regza.

I share your distrust of Samsung (I've post my experiences in the past). LG was ok with me until I saw my sisters 370 unit. Weird lip-sync issues with lots of discs and I've read it's the same on the 390. I can't confirm but other forums report it alot so I assume there is something going on with the whole line.

What about a Sony or a new panny? I bought an S360 for my brother's family for Christmas (Gave it to them on Turkey day though) and they love it. Can be had fairly inexpensively. Ohh, nevermind, I see you already ordered. I think you'll be happy with the 320 if it's everything my 51's are as long as you understand (which you do) the overall performance of the player and it's pros/cons.

Yeah, one of the tv's I was looking at was the flagship 8500 LED, but 50% of the owners on one AV site see crop circles. I just don't get how Samsung is one of the most popular brands with these issues, but I guess its marketing. I've read on the lipsync issues on the LG tv's and BR players, and I do not really get that either.

I already ordered the Pio, and with my BD35 already seeming to have issues, I wanted to give another brand a shot. Sony's prices kinda disgust me lately, especially on their tv's, so I'm kinda boycotting them.

Popped in Bourne last night to test out all my wiring at the new house. It does not seem any slower than my BD35, and the menu's are pretty sharp. I used the "Professional" mode for setup because it has the least image quality "enhancements". Bourne flick looked great.

Very slick so far.

Thats 9,999 :D

Great PQ and AQ
Seems to load faster, from on to playing, than my BD35
Menus look very good, it's easy to navigate, and has plenty of pic adjustments

Worth the $299, prob not for most, since it does not do netflix or amazon. It does offer a well built player, with good analog audio though. It's basically another version of my BD35, as it offered nothing new really, except for more adjustments and settings (pic wise), but I like the look and feel better than the Panny. Out of the players out there right now in this range, I felt more confident with this one over the LG or Sammy's, with the issues I've seen.

Great player, but only a player, and the price is a little high compared to what you get now. I'd make the same purchase again, but that probably would not be the case in another 6 months when the new units come out. I assume the big benefit is the audio improvements on analogs, since it has brown and burrs.

Well, wanted to revisit.

Plus's -

*) Good looking player
*) Great menu and ease of use
*) Great PQ

Minus -

*) Not even close to being as reliable for marked up discs, or even new discs as the Panny's.

I'm gonna get trashed on AVS for my latest post in their thread, because you know everyone else "never has a problem", and "rock solid" is being used to defend the purchase. Sorry, its a great player, but for $299, they should be a little more reliable.

I've been able to test a few scratched discs, and the Pioneer hangs where the BD35 just plays. The Pioneer took 10 tries (load and eject;seriously) to play 2012 last night, BD35 played it fine every time.

Doubt I'll buy another Pio. Depending on if it continues to piss me off, I may buy something else for my HT player this time next year.

that sucks man. I've got 2 of the predecessor 51fd's and they are rock solid for me. I know the history is spotted at best and it seems the last attempt at a lineup failed horribly from what I am now reading.

Luckily like I said my 51fd's while slow at loading have never once failed me (never tried 12 rounds disc, but that wasn't a pio only issue). I am almost entirely netflix for blu-ray and the 51fd's I think have excellent error correction as I have never had an issue. Your experience with the 320 sounds like my Samsung history... :(

Yeah, I mean it looks great (matters in an open ent center) and the menu's are real slick, as well as having great PQ. Just a little too spotty for me, especially on discs that have a little wear and tear.

Ya know, I hate to be brand loyal, but sometimes I guess you gotta stick with what works. Always had good luck with panasonic plasmas and BR players, love this denon rcvr (my first), and been very happy with the Toshiba tv. I feel bad for all the people that have been reamed by samsung.

I love my Denon 2010, especially since they quickly and quietly fixed the freeze (unlike Panasonic who took forever). It hasn't had an update since 12/9. It rocks everything i throw at it. Analog audio is supreme. Using the 2 channel dedicated for CDs. Unfortunately there are no frills, NF, etc.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)