Options for Splitting HR-22 Output?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ferrino

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
CA
We have a single HD-DVR (HR-22) supplying a single HDTV and are looking to get a 2nd HDTV for the bedroom. Considering we are about to use the Mover's Connection we could potentially get a deal on a 2nd HD-DVR, which I'm guessing would be $99 at best, and an extra $60 in fees per year, as well as renewing our 2-year contract.

I am considering the alternative of just feeding the other video and audio outputs from the existing HD-DVR to the new HDTV, as we would not need to watch different shows in different rooms. Am I right in thinking that, in order to feed the 2nd TV with a HD video signal and audio, I would need to pass a component cable plus a left-and-right phono cable into the new HDTV (it won't have a separate A/V receiver, just the standard HDTV video/audio inputs)?

Just considering our options - don't really like the idea of routing 5 wires, but it may work out being a short distance anyway.

Of course, if they offer a free HD-DVR...

Thanks!

We have a single HD-DVR (HR-22) supplying a single HDTV and are looking to get a 2nd HDTV for the bedroom. Considering we are about to use the Mover's Connection we could potentially get a deal on a 2nd HD-DVR, which I'm guessing would be $99 at best, and an extra $60 in fees per year, as well as renewing our 2-year contract.

I am considering the alternative of just feeding the other video and audio outputs from the existing HD-DVR to the new HDTV, as we would not need to watch different shows in different rooms. Am I right in thinking that, in order to feed the 2nd TV with a HD video signal and audio, I would need to pass a component cable plus a left-and-right phono cable into the new HDTV (it won't have a separate A/V receiver, just the standard HDTV video/audio inputs)?

Just considering our options - don't really like the idea of routing 5 wires, but it may work out being a short distance anyway.

Of course, if they offer a free HD-DVR...

Thanks!

You have it all figured out!

Or you could use the 5 wires on the short run and HDMI for the longer one. Either way, check monoprice they sell component cables that include the audio wires so at least the 5 are all connected.

This is exactly what I plan to do when I add a bedroom tv shortly. The total connection distance would probably be 20-25 feet, directly underneath through the basement ceiling. I've heard that HDMI cables are more sensitive to losing signal over distance, so based on that, I thought I'd keep the short HDMI cable going to the main tv, and then get the 5-wire component/L-R audio bundle from monoprice. Then, I'd buy a second RF-capable DirecTv remote (I forget the model number) and keep it in the bedroom, programming it so that it's IR output operates the bedroom tv's power and volume controls. The RF part would then control the functions of the HD-DVR in the living room.

This is exactly what I plan to do when I add a bedroom tv shortly. The total connection distance would probably be 20-25 feet, directly underneath through the basement ceiling. I've heard that HDMI cables are more sensitive to losing signal over distance, so based on that, I thought I'd keep the short HDMI cable going to the main tv, and then get the 5-wire component/L-R audio bundle from monoprice. Then, I'd buy a second RF-capable DirecTv remote (I forget the model number) and keep it in the bedroom, programming it so that it's IR output operates the bedroom tv's power and volume controls. The RF part would then control the functions of the HD-DVR in the living room.
Monoprice has a reasonably priced option to send HDMI up to around 70 feet over cat5e. They are HDMI wall plates that you connect with cat 5e or cat 6 for $18.15/pr. You could use component cables and a digital audio cable on the main TV or add an HDMI splitter. I came across this when I started thinking about adding an LCD TV to our kitchen.

Link: For only $15.73 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDMI over CAT5E / CAT6 Extender Wall Plate (Pair) - Single Port (1P) - White | HDMI Wall Plate

Good point! A single HDMI cable would be much easier! So is there any difference in HD picture quality between component and HDMI?

Or you could use the 5 wires on the short run and HDMI for the longer one. Either way, check monoprice they sell component cables that include the audio wires so at least the 5 are all connected.

Good point! A single HDMI cable would be much easier! So is there any difference in HD picture quality between component and HDMI?

Some people think HDMI is better. Most don't see any difference, I know I don't. 25' isn't considered to be a long run. You should be fine whichever way you go.

I'm running a 35' HDMI cable from monoprice.com. Paid around $35 for it. Also had to buy an extender IR setup from Radio Shack for around $40. Since an extra HD receiver would cost $99 at list, I was ahead of the game from day 1 and getting further ahead every month a $5 per month.

Re the HDMI cable, it requires a bigger hole if going through walls. On the only wall that shows on my setup, I'm thinking of getting an HDMI face plate to "dress it up a bit".

There are debates on this, but to be honest I have tried both and on 2 different TV's and I can't tell the difference.

From a technical standpoint, I have read that component is an analog signal converted to digital. HDMI is a digital signal from start to finish and includes digital sound. Also, as most already know, with component you have to run a separate audio cable, which can be analog or digital.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts