Orby has gone dark!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I did my first install of a former Orby customer who told me they had shut down. That's a shame to see an up and comer go out of business
Did the customer ask about removing the old dish? Just curious if there is any agreement to remove the Orby equipment since they had this dish/orby deal

Still lots of receivers for sale on eBay. Talk about a mess with sellers that don’t allow returns when a buyer realizes that Orby is DOA and now own a worthless box. I have never had Orby but do give them credit for starting a DBS company to make satellite tv affordable for some. They did a good job using a good compression scheme using just couple of transponders. Sounds like both SD and HD channels looked pretty good. Every time I walk next to my Directv dish, money is being sucked out of my wallet. I did have Primestar back in the day and liked the service and it sucked when Direct bought them and shut it down. For a medium power DBS company it was great. The original Digicipher system and the picture quality was good.

I had Primestar till January of 1997. We had an ice storm then that caused our power to brown out over and over till the receiver started smoking and then Poof! Dead receiver. That's when the service guy came out with another box and told me about a new company called Dish network. We went the next day and looked at the service at a dealership and then signed on for DISH . That was over 24 years ago. I liked that the menus had color as opposed to the black and white menus and guides with Primestar. We also got our super stations with DISH so we could keep watching Star Trek Voyager. Our local CBS station quit showing it . So in all we have had satellite service for 25 years when you combine both Primestar satellite service with DISH's satellite service.
One of my Primestar receivers had the west distant nets. I think it was San Fran but since there was no DVR’s back in those daysm it was nice to catch a show 2 hours later if I missed it on our local network affiliates. Was never billed for those channels since I not eligible to get them. This stayed for my entire subscription all the way to when they went bye bye.

Did the customer ask about removing the old dish? Just curious if there is any agreement to remove the Orby equipment since they had this dish/orby deal
No, and I would have if I could have put the DIsh Antenna in the same spot. He installed it himself (I assume that was normal for Orby?) and did a pretty nice job, other than the crimp-on connectors.

Still lots of receivers for sale on eBay. Talk about a mess with sellers that don’t allow returns when a buyer realizes that Orby is DOA and now own a worthless box. I have never had Orby but do give them credit for starting a DBS company to make satellite tv affordable for some. They did a good job using a good compression scheme using just couple of transponders. Sounds like both SD and HD channels looked pretty good. Every time I walk next to my Directv dish, money is being sucked out of my wallet. I did have Primestar back in the day and liked the service and it sucked when Direct bought them and shut it down. For a medium power DBS company it was great. The original Digicipher system and the picture quality was good.
There's NO such thing as "don't allow returns" on Ebay. Dealers can quote that in their listings all they want, and Ebay will overrule and refund in cases such as this. All a buyer has to do, is tell Ebay that the service is defunct, and that the equipment was sold under false pretenses. The buyer will likely be required to send back the equipment with tracking, and once the seller gets it back, the buyer gets refunded.

I've had an Ebay account since 1997, a Paypal account nearly as far back, and I know this for sure.

Primestar still lives! I used one of their 4 foot dishes for my Orby install, but also 1 at 97W, and another at 103W. They are huge and heavy, but still work great.
Before I got into FTA I had one of those Primestar dishes stored in our garage. We needed space and I finally threw it away. So pi$$ed at myself as it would have been great for my dish farm. :(

Last edited:
There's NO such thing as "don't allow returns" on Ebay. Dealers can quote that in their listings all they want, and Ebay will overrule and refund in cases such as this. All a buyer has to do, is tell Ebay that the service is defunct, and that the equipment was sold under false pretenses. The buyer will likely be required to send back the equipment with tracking, and once the seller gets it back, the buyer gets refunded.

I've had an Ebay account since 1997, a Paypal account nearly as far back, and I know this for sure.
Agreed. "item not as described" and buyer is off the hook...

Reactions: HipKat
Before I got into FTA I had one of those Primestar dishes stored in our garage. We needed space and I finally threw it away. So pi$$ed at myself as it would have been great for my dish farm. :(
I keep all my dishes at great discomfort to my wife :biggrin

Even the mini pizza 18" dish can pull channels.

I have one that was used for infowars. That was about all it pulled but if you are familiar with AJ then that would be enough LOL

caj.gif

Reactions: k.r.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts