Orby has gone dark!

I would not have touched Orby with a 3 meter pole, this is why, it was always going to happen.
To each his own! It was an inexpensive option to get some great channels that we enjoyed. We are not out anything other than the cost of our four receivers (which were all purchased at half price other than one) and they are still useful for our OTA tuning. Other than how they ended things it was a pleasant experience and we were very pleased with their service. :)

That is not insider trading. I am not condoning it if true but it is not insider trading.
"insider trading" is in quotes; that is what I call it. While technically not related to securities, the principle is the same. Someone (Orby, and possibly Best Buy) was privy to inside information that they exploited to gain financial advantage over an unsuspecting entity (person). Had this information been generally known and available, some would not have bought equipment, that was known by the vendor/supplier in advance to be worthless. Maybe not your definition, but a distinction without a difference. While the $100 I spent for useless equipment isn't going to alter my lifestyle, still pees me right off.

I thought Orby was a great concept. No contract, pay as you go, affordable etc. I wonder if we will ever know what happened to them. I was going to sign up. I guess this is one case of my procrastination being a good thing.

Reactions: Skyscanner
Well it was fun while it lasted......and the damn recievers are probably door stops. On a good note I now have $55 a month freed up to pay for a 5G gateway, the Slimline can be parked on another bird like 99w, I might get grandma and grandpa's old dish unless they want me to pipe in some FTA religous programming. If I can obtain a BUD that will legally get me 90% of what I wanna watch........

Reactions: norman881
"insider trading" is in quotes; that is what I call it. While technically not related to securities, the principle is the same. Someone (Orby, and possibly Best Buy) was privy to inside information that they exploited to gain financial advantage over an unsuspecting entity (person). Had this information been generally known and available, some would not have bought equipment, that was known by the vendor/supplier in advance to be worthless. Maybe not your definition, but a distinction without a difference. While the $100 I spent for useless equipment isn't going to alter my lifestyle, still pees me right off.
Here is the difference----if they knew about the Orby situation but sold Orby equipment etc. They are not guilty of the crime you voted and not subject to the serious penalties that go with it.

I suspect the Orby folks were working hard right to the end on securing the needed financing to continue. While it would have been much better if subscribers had advance notice of the potential failure, I'm sure Orby was hoping to the last minute that the notice wouldn't be needed. I don't know if a last minute deal was in the works and fell through or not, but that might account for the no notice until it was over...

Reactions: dishdude
Well, I got an email from Orby telling us their service has ended - guess we didn't know that already when the channels went dark. :rolleyes Anyway it basically restates what is on their website but it was nice that they provided that one last bit of personal interaction with a customer, even if it was a bit late.

Orby Final Message.jpg

I wonder if BestBuy knew. If they had their receiver clearance knowing that OrbyTV was going out of business it's disgraceful.

Doesn’t Best Buy allow returns. I would think that customers that just recently bought Orby receivers but could not activate them would be able to get a full refund on their purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Actually I think Primester didn’t go dark till late 1999

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had Primestar till January of 1997. We had an ice storm then that caused our power to brown out over and over till the receiver started smoking and then Poof! Dead receiver. That's when the service guy came out with another box and told me about a new company called Dish network. We went the next day and looked at the service at a dealership and then signed on for DISH . That was over 24 years ago. I liked that the menus had color as opposed to the black and white menus and guides with Primestar. We also got our super stations with DISH so we could keep watching Star Trek Voyager. Our local CBS station quit showing it . So in all we have had satellite service for 25 years when you combine both Primestar satellite service with DISH's satellite service.

Reactions: dishdude and TRG
I had Primestar till January of 1997. We had an ice storm then that caused our power to brown out over and over till the receiver started smoking and then Poof! Dead receiver. That's when the service guy came out with another box and told me about a new company called Dish network. We went the next day and looked at the service at a dealership and then signed on for DISH . That was over 24 years ago. I liked that the menus had color as opposed to the black and white menus and guides with Primestar. We also got our super stations with DISH so we could keep watching Star Trek Voyager. Our local CBS station quit showing it . So in all we have had satellite service for 25 years when you combine both Primestar satellite service with DISH's satellite service.
Hey friend I believe dave acquired primestar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)