Ordering Dish

blackcat1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Springfield Missouri
I am going to switch from DirecTV to Dish and was wondering if it would be better to order directly from Dish at Dish.com or from a local authorized dealer. Any thoughts? My thought is that if I order locally, I might have a better chance of getting the equipment that I want, such as the Hopper 3 and two Joey 3's or Joey 4K's.

I just switched and ordered from Dish. But, did my research and knew exactly what I wanted. Hopper3 and Joey3 for home. Wally (purchased) for the RV. They sent a 211 for the RV (not what we discussed). Called them back and they resent a Wally for no additional cost. Good customer service.
I will have to add, if you add the RV as a home addition (+$7/mo), you don’t get the capability to change your local stations yourself via the app. That’s what I’m experiencing and others have indicated, but that’s ok, we just scan the local OTA for locals.
We switched to get lower costs and have HD in the RV. Was with DTV for 11 years but longevity doesn’t get you anything except higher costs these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pattykay
I am going to switch from DirecTV to Dish and was wondering if it would be better to order directly from Dish at Dish.com or from a local authorized dealer. Any thoughts? My thought is that if I order locally, I might have a better chance of getting the equipment that I want, such as the Hopper 3 and two Joey 3's or Joey 4K's.

As long as your local retailer is a good one and does their own installs it's always better ordering from them. Besides all the benefits of getting better service and being able to call and talk a human who actually knows who you are you'll be dealing with a neighbor and keeping your money in your community.

I switched from DTV.

Contacted Dish and gave them what I wanted or forget about it.

I wanted a Hopper 3 + 2 4K Joeys, 3 54.0 (Voice) Remotes & 2 40.0 Remotes. I also gave them a code for the discount for me & a friend. Here is one in case you don't have one but it only works if you tell them a friend referred you and you have a code: Re You must tell Dish before ordering. They told me I couldn't have the extra remotes for free but I could purchase the extra remotes. I said, then NO Deal...They said, OK we'll include them at no charge.

Reactions: pattykay

Use a dealer if you have access to a good one. I didn't have access, but going straight to Dish worked fine.

The Dish installer gave me his cell number and the Dish local distributor number that he worked out of, in case I had a problem. Luckily, I have never called.
My local dealer is an A** hole. I ordered an OTA dongle from them and the office lady called me to let me know that it was in, but when I went to pick it up, they did not have it and claimed that they had no record of the order. What dummies.

JSheridan is an anomaly, in my limited experience. Many retailers aren't properly trained, don't have high standards on their installs and take as many shortcuts as possible. Frankentechs. It's probably only dumb luck if you have a really good on in your area

JSheridan is an anomaly, in my limited experience. Many retailers aren't properly trained, don't have high standards on their installs and take as many shortcuts as possible. Frankentechs. It's probably only dumb luck if you have a really good on in your area

And my friend I think that you're the anomaly for a Dish tech. :)

In my long experience with Dish since 1996 what I see is that most of the Dish techs are inexperienced and worse. Their turn over rate is sky high and for good reason. They do the job the quickest, dirtiest and easiest way they can and can't wait to get done and hope they never hear from the customer again. I can't even count how many times I've gone behind them and found poles with no concrete and brackets falling over on roofs because they missed the studs. Their customer education is usually non existent and they are not very neat with the customer's house. (We take off our boots when we go inside, they don't.) They also have metrics that force them to be salesmen, sometimes making things up and worse to sell HDMI wires, screen cleaner and the rest. I could go on and on but I think you get the drift of it. :)

If you have a good local retailer it's always the best idea to patronize them.

I have had a broad variety of techs over the years. Some better than I could ever hope for. A marine NCO about to retire was the best I ever had.
On another occasion I had a young man who had never installed on an RV, which I lived in full time. He asked me how to proceed at every step. We worked as a team and completed a great install.

I feel like this might be an appropriate time to invite a former retailer who left about a year or two ago. Can anyone locate our old friend, Shermann?

And my friend I think that you're the anomaly for a Dish tech. :)

In my long experience with Dish since 1996 what I see is that most of the Dish techs are inexperienced and worse. Their turn over rate is sky high and for good reason. They do the job the quickest, dirtiest and easiest way they can and can't wait to get done and hope they never hear from the customer again. I can't even count how many times I've gone behind them and found poles with no concrete and brackets falling over on roofs because they missed the studs. Their customer education is usually non existent and they are not very neat with the customer's house. (We take off our boots when we go inside, they don't.) They also have metrics that force them to be salesmen, sometimes making things up and worse to sell HDMI wires, screen cleaner and the rest. I could go on and on but I think you get the drift of it. :)

If you have a good local retailer it's always the best idea to patronize them.
I can't disagree with you. I complained so loudly to the VP of my company last month that the work I Was seeing was so bad, a guy I was training asked if we only hire lazy techs, which, to his credit is becoming a policy where if you can proves by before and after pics that you had to reinstall the last guys work, it'll pay more for doing it. I don't get it. You would never see such shoddy work for the phone company, electric company, etc. To me, This is Telecommunications, not just cable TV. We should be as professional as that guy that comes to hook up your power when you first move into a new house, et al. Can you imagine a plumber running all new Pex and it's just hanging haphazardly from the ceiling in your basement?

Meanwhile, Peoria Satellite is a big, long standing retailer here that's been around forever. Following their jobs is never a good thing

My Dish installer was a former Verizon tech. His installation and customer-service skills were top-notch. This was not the case with Charter the last time I got Internet service from them. It was a guy in a old ford ranger with a magnetic sign on the side. He said he swaps it out depending on who he is doing an install for. I am sure some independent contractors are good, but his work was marginal. I showed his work to a neighbor who also works for Charter, and he was appalled. Life lesson: YMMV.

So, what you guys are saying is that finding a quality, well trained technician is an anomoly. :)

Yes and no. There are good and bad just like in most professions. Just think about car mechanics. Out of the half dozen local to me there's only one that I trust to tell me the truth and do good work for a reasonable price.

When I read what Hipcat and others say about how Dish pays techs and the metrics imposed it is no wonder that the good ones are rare. If they are good I can imagine a company like mine hiring them for doing cable-dog work on network installations and outside plant work we do on DoD installations, we normally give BICSI training to the guys we want to keep around.

When I read what Hipcat and others say about how Dish pays techs and the metrics imposed it is no wonder that the good ones are rare. If they are good I can imagine a company like mine hiring them for doing cable-dog work on network installations and outside plant work we do on DoD installations, we normally give BICSI training to the guys we want to keep around.
Ohhh, that brings back memories. :) I was BICSI trained at Pacific Bell when I was a BIC (Building Industry Consultant) Engineer. Back in those days telephone cabling responsibilities went all the way from the Central Office to the telephone. My job was to design the cabling from manhole or utility pole into a new building and then disburse it within the building based on floorspace and needs. It was a fun and taxing job...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)