Ordering HD programing as needed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nectarologist

Original poster
May 25, 2005
NY tri-state area
Hello. I have had HD programing from dtv for a couple of yrs now. I was under the impression that I needed the hd package in order to get my locals in HD. I was on the phone w/ a rep to see where the Yankee game was being shown & he insisted that I needed to subscribe to a sports package to get it. Perhaps things changed & I now need to do that but as of 2 days before this I didn't. I assumed that it just wasn't in HD on dtv that night but that was the purpose of my call, to find out for sure. He somehow "knew" I needed a sports sub. but didn't know which one; odd. I've had enough w/ their so called "HD package" so I dropped it. I was gearing up to go w/ cable but now I see that I get the locals in HD even though I no longer subscribe to the local package, and TNT too, which surprised me, didn't think I'd get either. Good enough for me, now I'm happy (and 11/month "richer":D )

Finally, my question:
Does dtv allow you to order programming & then drop it repeatedly via their web site or do they monitor this? I only want ESPN for Monday night football so I figure I'd order it on Mon. & drop it Tuesday and only pay for it on a pro-rated basis. Any thoughts?
Thanks for the help. I almost never post but always enjoying reading:)

Last edited:
nectarologist said:
Does dtv allow you to order programming & then drop it repeatedly via their web site or do they monitor this? I only want ESPN for Monday night football so I figure I'd order it on Mon. & drop it Tuesday and only pay for it on a pro-rated basis. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help. I almost never post but always enjoying reading:)

Not anymore; because of this such abuse they now charge a fee; in essence you paying for the entire month anyway.

nectarologist said:
Hello. I have had HD programing from dtv for a couple of yrs now. I was under the impression that I needed the hd package in order to get my locals in HD. I was on the phone w/ a rep to see where the Yankee game was being shown & he insisted that I needed to subscribe to a sports package to get it. Perhaps things changed & I now need to do that but as of 2 days before this I didn't. I assumed that it just wasn't in HD on dtv that night but that was the purpose of my call, to find out for sure. He somehow "knew" I needed a sports sub. but didn't know which one; odd. I've had enough w/ their so called "HD package" so I dropped it. I was gearing up to go w/ cable but now I see that I get the locals in HD even though I no longer subscribe to the local package, and TNT too, which surprised me, didn't think I'd get either. Good enough for me, now I'm happy (and 11/month "richer":D )

Finally, my question:
Does dtv allow you to order programming & then drop it repeatedly via their web site or do they monitor this? I only want ESPN for Monday night football so I figure I'd order it on Mon. & drop it Tuesday and only pay for it on a pro-rated basis. Any thoughts?
Thanks for the help. I almost never post but always enjoying reading:)
If you can get your locals with an OTA antenna, you CAN get all your networks in HD (where available) and save the $ 5 p/m for the locals as well,
btw, the HD package is only $9.99.

Jimbo

Hi Jimbo. I was planning on doing that a while ago but I have only 1 hd set, my other TVs are old school. My wife would kill me if she didn't get the same quality reception as she does now on the older sets. Thanks.

charper1 said:
Not anymore; because of this such abuse they now charge a fee; in essence you paying for the entire month anyway.
Let me clarify charper's reply. You cannot disconnect a premium service less than 30 days after ordering without paying a $10 premium channel disconnect fee. As for your ESPN scenario, since ESPN is a part of every package except Family Choice, you'd have to order Total choice every Monday and switch to Family Choice every Tuesday... I think they'd notice something suspicious after a few weeks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)