orthomode feed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Labgate

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Hello

I will install in a couple of weeks an orthomode feed, which is a feed with 2 ku and 2 c lnbs.

So I will also see how it goes. Too bad I did not see this before. I bought this unit this winter and I'm just waiting for the right temperature to try it on my 10 footer.

Labgate

Labgate said:
Hello

I will install in a couple of weeks an orthomode feed, which is a feed with 2 ku and 2 c lnbs.

So I will also see how it goes. Too bad I did not see this before. I bought this unit this winter and I'm just waiting for the right temperature to try it on my 10 footer.

Labgate
Where did you obtain such a feed? Any links? I'd love to see a picture of it...

Wow talk about changing the subject. I really don't know how all this got here. My understanding (for whatever that is worth) is that 4:2:2 is HD digital signals, which though not strictly an encryption mode will not be watchable on MOST fta receivers. And dishes designed for C-band reception 6' or larger may not work with ku due to the size of the hold in the mesh screen. a solid 6' dish or one with screen smaller than the end of a pencil have been shown to work fine. I am always wanting to learn more about this hobby so feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

neil_kc1 said:
Wow talk about changing the subject. I really don't know how all this got here. My understanding (for whatever that is worth) is that 4:2:2 is HD digital signals, which though not strictly an encryption mode will not be watchable on MOST fta receivers. And dishes designed for C-band reception 6' or larger may not work with ku due to the size of the hold in the mesh screen. a solid 6' dish or one with screen smaller than the end of a pencil have been shown to work fine. I am always wanting to learn more about this hobby so feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.
I'll correct you on one part, the part I highlighted above. 4:2:2 is not HD. It is used in some HD, but not all. It's used almost exclusively by NBC, for most everything they do, but not everything they do. It seems to be used more and more frequently with sports feeds from all sources these days, but most are still 4:2:0.

Al

neil_kc1 said:

4:2:2 refers to an MPEG video sub-sampling algorithm/method. As mentioned by Al, it can be employed for HD transmissions but not necessarily.

Tron said:
Where did you obtain such a feed? Any links? I'd love to see a picture of it...

Hello Tron

I will take pictures of it tomorrow. Even if it is not installed it will show you what it is. I will start a new thread, this one is already very large.

Basically it has 2 ku lnbs and 2 c lnbs. I got it on ebay this winter. Usually it is installed in commercial places like hotels. this is what I understand.

I will also place pictures on my site very soon.

Labgate

Hello Tron

Sorry for the delay. I will post the pictures today and start a new thread.

Meanwhile, I read a bit about the Digitrans DTE-7150. I see in your signature that you have one.

What do you think about it. Can it really receive dvb and dcii and control a bud motor ?

Is there any pictures somewhere I could see. Maybe the digitrans web site ?

What kind of output does it have (svideo, etc)

Best regards

Labgate

Labgate said:
Hello Tron

Sorry for the delay. I will post the pictures today and start a new thread.

Meanwhile, I read a bit about the Digitrans DTE-7150. I see in your signature that you have one.

What do you think about it. Can it really receive dvb and dcii and control a bud motor ?

Is there any pictures somewhere I could see. Maybe the digitrans web site ?

What kind of output does it have (svideo, etc)

Best regards

Labgate
It's a great piece of equipment, slim (1 rack unit high) but built like a tank. The Digitrans 7150 is actually a rebranded Motorola 4800. It's a commercial broadcast receiver for use mainly in sat trucks and broadcast control rooms. It can receive DVB, DVB 4:2:2, and clear DCII without authorization. It can't move a motor, though, as most commercial dishes are fixed mounted. It has BNC composite analog and component digital (SDI) outputs as well as four LNB inputs. Audio is XLR digital, and there are no S-video outputs. As with most (if not all) commercial receivers, it has manual tuning only, no channel lists, no blindscan.

Here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9735725013 is an auction for the 7150ASI, which will only operate as a slave to a 7150T (via ASI output). It looks identical to the 7150T on the front, but has different connectors on the back. Again, the one in this auction will only operate as a slave to a 7150T with ASI stream output.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts