Edision OS Mio 4K+ stuck in endless cycle of restarts - Help Please.

NorthernOhioGuy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 19, 2017
Ohio
I have an OS Mio 4k+ currently using TNAP 4.0 I fell asleep watching TV last night and woke up early this morning to a green screen. The screen reads

We are really sorry. Your STB encountered a software problem and needs to be restarted.
Please send the logfile/tmp/enigma2_crash.log to the OpenPLi forum.
Your STB restarts in 10 seconds!

Component: Enigma2
Close failed in the file object destructor: IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

Close failed in the file object destructor: IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

It stays on this green screen for about ten seconds and then goes to the TNAP 4.0 Starting Enigma2 screen. It stays on the Starting Enigma2 screen for about the same amount of time and then back to the same green screen. It is a continual cycle.

I ended up unplugging the box when I had to leave for work this morning because I could get no response from pushing any of the buttons on the remote or the box itself. When I returned home, I plugged the power back in. The black Edision screen came up as normal, then the TNAP version 4.0 booting screen, followed by the starting Enigma2 screen. It did come on and actually play the channel I was on last night for about 10-15 seconds. After this it went to a Green screen with way to much on it for me to read in the short amount of time it was up. Then it went to the green screen I first mentioned and started the unending cycle again.

I have no idea what I should do or how I should proceed with trying to solve the issue. Any ideas or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I will likely be slow to respond as I am currently working 15 hour shifts at work, but as I said any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have an OS Mio 4k+ currently using TNAP 4.0 I fell asleep watching TV last night and woke up early this morning to a green screen. The screen reads

We are really sorry. Your STB encountered a software problem and needs to be restarted.
Please send the logfile/tmp/enigma2_crash.log to the OpenPLi forum.
Your STB restarts in 10 seconds!

It stays on this green screen for about ten seconds and then goes to the TNAP 4.0 Starting Enigma2 screen. It stays on the Starting Enigma2 screen for about the same amount of time and then back to the same green screen. It is a continual cycle.

I ended up unplugging the box when I had to leave for work this morning because I could get no response from pushing any of the buttons on the remote or the box itself. When I returned home, I plugged the power back in. The black Edision screen came up as normal, then the TNAP version 4.0 booting screen, followed by the starting Enigma2 screen. It did come on and actually play the channel I was on last night for about 10-15 seconds. After this it went to a Green screen with way to much on it for me to read in the short amount of time it was up. Then it went to the green screen I first mentioned and started the unending cycle again.

I have no idea what I should do or how I should proceed with trying to solve the issue. Any ideas or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I will likely be slow to respond as I am currently working 15 hour shifts at work, but as I said any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Mine did that last night also! The only fix is to reflash a fresh image to that slot. Do you have another working image, in another slot? If so, PULL the power cord, wait 15 seconds, and plug it back in. BEFORE it starts booting, have the remote pointed towards it. Keep hitting the MENU button. When you get it right, it'll bring up a boot menu. Arrow to the working slot, and choose it. Once you are booted into that, you can use the online Flash Image to reflash the Green Screen of Death slot.

IF you don't have a working image in another slot, you'll have to download the image from LegitFTA site to a usb stick, and reflash your receiver fresh.

P.S. I'm pretty sure something corrupted in the GlamourAuraFHD skin, and caused this to happen. The reason I believe that, is after I reflashed and had mine running, the very last thing I did was switch to the GlamourAuraFHD skin. After the reboot, it was back to the green screen. Were you running that skin also?

Mine did that last night also! The only fix is to reflash a fresh image to that slot. Do you have another working image, in another slot? If so, PULL the power cord, wait 15 seconds, and plug it back in. BEFORE it starts booting, have the remote pointed towards it. Keep hitting the MENU button. When you get it right, it'll bring up a boot menu. Arrow to the working slot, and choose it. Once you are booted into that, you can use the online Flash Image to reflash the Green Screen of Death slot.

P.S. I'm pretty sure something corrupted in the GlamourAuraFHD skin, and caused this to happen. The reason I believe that, is after I reflashed and had mine running, the very last thing I did was switch to the GlamourAuraFHD skin. After the reboot, it was back to the green screen. Were you running that skin also?
Thanks, I will try to do this in the morning. I have an earlier TNAP image in a different slot. Hopefully, I can make it work. The wife is sleeping now, so she will not appreciate if I start turning things on in the bedroom at this hour. Yes, I believe that GlamourAuraFHD is the skin I was running. I appreciate your assistance.

OK so I got to the boot menu and tried to boot into the other slot with the older TNAP image. It let me do that, and it appeared to work for about 10-15 seconds and then started the same problem again. I believe this may be because that image was using the same skin. So is there a way I can load a new image into an empty slot or one of the slots with a non working image, if I get back to that boot menu?

OK so I got to the boot menu and tried to boot into the other slot with the older TNAP image. It let me do that, and it appeared to work for about 10-15 seconds and then started the same problem again. I believe this may be because that image was using the same skin. So is there a way I can load a new image into an empty slot or one of the slots with a non working image, if I get back to that boot menu?
You'll have to reload an image with the USB drive method. There's posts here that tell you how. However, you'll have to get the image file from Legitfta site. TNAP-4 Images for OSMIO4K+ - 20201221

Install an unzipped TNAP 4.0 USB version image on the top level of a thumb drive and change the text file "noforce" to "force".

With the DC power plug unplugged, insert the USB in either USB port. Restore the power and TNAP 4.0 will be installed into slot 1. Remove the USB and either change the text file name back to "noforce" or delete the folder.

P.S. El Bandido has now confirmed that there's an issue with running the GlamourAuraFHD skin, and TNAP 4.0 with the latest updates. If ANYBODY else is running that skin, change it NOW!

Reactions: norman881
I guess that's why it is paramount once you get everything setup and working like you want it to, make a few backups. Although I don't use TNAP my external HDD has enough backups to get me out of trouble if anything should happen.
Vix still (I think) has the MyMetrix skin that if you install it, it WILL crash the system every time.
Backups guys. Do it! Openatv has never crashed. But if it should........

Reactions: primestar31
By the way, since this happened to me, I now have working images in THREE different slots. Slot1 has the very latest TNAP 4.0 with the PliFullnight skin. Slot2 has the last TNAP 3.2. Slot3 has the previous version TNAP 4.0, with the PliFullnight skin. I also have full backups (as I always did)

It's SO easy to recover from something happening to an image in a slot, IF you have a working image in at least ONE other slot!

So, as arlo says above, BACKUPS! Plus other working images in the other 3 slots!

Interesting that this just started happening on both my osmio-4k (not the plus model). Constant reboot. I didn't do any updates so why is this happening?

Interesting that this just started happening on both my osmio-4k (not the plus model). Constant reboot. I didn't do any updates so why is this happening?
I don't know, it makes no sense. El Bandido confirmed that the receiver does NOT get PUSH software updates or downloads. They are all supposed to be user-initiated. I loaded or updated NOTHING for about the last two months. Still, it suddenly did it at random when a timer kicked off for a recording that night.

Now, YOU are saying your receivers now also did it? Are/were you running a version of TNAP 4.0, AND the GlamourAuraFHD skin?

EB says they'll remove almost everything from the feeds right now, just in case, until he can figure out why this happened.

Please report the issue to EB, in this thread: Green Screen of Death - Page 2

Titanium

KE4EST Can we get this thread stickied for now? It seems we perhaps have something corrupted that might be unfolding here. Couldn't hurt to warn others ahead of time.

I don't know, it makes no sense. El Bandido confirmed that the receiver does NOT get PUSH software updates or downloads. They are all supposed to be user-initiated. I loaded or updated NOTHING for about the last two months. Still, it suddenly did it at random when a timer kicked off for a recording that night.

Now, YOU are saying your receivers now also did it? Are/were you running a version of TNAP 4.0, AND the GlamourAuraFHD skin?

EB says they'll remove almost everything from the feeds right now, just in case, until he can figure out why this happened.

Please report the issue to EB, in this thread: Green Screen of Death - Page 2

Titanium

KE4EST Can we get this thread stickied for now? It seems we perhaps have a slow disaster that might be unfolding here. Couldn't hurt to warn others ahead of time.
I don't remember which skin I was using but after restoring TNAP 4 to slot one it set the skin to PLi-FullNightHD and it wiped out my bouquets. I'm not happy about that. Apparently they didn't get backed up. I had to reset the TZ, etc, also. Looks like the scanned lists are OK except for the bouquets. I haven't checked everything yet.

Mine started doing the boot loop this morning as well. Interesting.
Wonder if there was a bad update that loaded automatically?
I don't watch from the receiver directly, almost always watgh through KODI via the network. Noticed if I disconnect the netowrk cable it boots up fine and plays perfectly. if I re-connect the network within 5 minutes or so it boot-loops again.
Will re-load TNAP4 and see what happens later this evening when I get tome to play with it.

Reactions: mc6809e
Must have been those Russian hackers
Johnny, you need to just STOP making posts like that, or disparaging EB in general, PLEASE. It's NOT helpful, and insulting our main image engineer, even back-handedly does nobody any good.

I KNOW first-hand that EB will bend over backwards to help a person out, even go WAY out of his way to do so, and I suspect he does all this because he truly wants to help. However, you MUST be willing to give and take back and forth with useful info.

So, knock it off.

If you aren't willing to, or you're unable to post useful info as best you can to help figure it out, just don't post at all beyond an immediate report that you are having the same issue.

Reactions: Titanium and KE4EST
Noticed if I disconnect the network cable it boots up fine and plays perfectly. if I re-connect the network within 5 minutes or so it boot-loops again.
Cham THAT info is very helpful, and I ask that you report it over at LegitFTA, in this thread: Green Screen of Death - Page 2

IF you don't have an account over there, let me know, and I'll post that info for you.

Reactions: Cham and Titanium
Per Megatron817 mod at Legitfta:
It seems possibly to be the weatherMsn plugin causing the crash. I removed the weather plugin with remove plugins menu and also deleted the weatherMsn folder from usr/lib/enigma2/python/plugins/Extensions. No problem now with GlamourAuraFHD skin.
That weather plugin would receive automatic push weather updates through the web, wouldn't it...

So, a person could remove internet access from their receiver, switch to a different skin, and/or remove the weatherMsn plugin, and perhaps avoid having to reflash from scratch.

At least until we have a fix.